ISS Passes May 2019

49 minutes ago, iconions said:

Okay, as usual I'm late to this shindig....  Beautiful Olathe, Kansas, is only 25 miles from KCMO, however, the pass on the 19th is really low in the sky for me.  The pass on the 17th goes directly overhead, but it is at dusk....

I think you have a shared pass with BoomersOTR in  FL.

You: May 19: 04:32 at 87°.

BoomersOTR: May 19: 05:37 at 72°. Approx.

Both  bright! 

I hope you're an early riser.

4 hours ago, bluesnote said:

A little late to the party, but are there any passes that I can help with in DC?

You're not late. You're 6 days early. On the evening of May 17, the ISS will be flying by me in Donna, TX at 21:15. It will arrive at Washington, DC to your NW at 22:21. It will then fly over the Atlantic, remaining lit by the sun from over the top of the Earth. It passes over France in the wee hours of the morning of May 18 and then flies over the waters on the West side of Italy. We are still looking for partners in France and Italy who are willing to get up around 04:30 to observe the ISS Pass.

On the evening of May 18, the ISS will fly near Florida, past Washington, DC to the SE at 21:30. It will cross the Atlantic, and pass over France again in the early hours of May 19. It will continue on and pass to the East side of Italy and over Greece. We are still looking for partners anywhere along that Pass. (I can not view it from Texas.)

If anyone has any questions, contact me at 8nuts1@gmail.com. 

Edited by 8Nuts MotherGoose
corrected spelling.
1 hour ago, Max and 99 said:

I think you have a shared pass with BoomersOTR in  FL.

You: May 19: 04:32 at 87°.

BoomersOTR: May 19: 05:37 at 72°. Approx.

Both  bright! 

I hope you're an early riser.

Iconions - What Max and 99 said is also for the pass with BK Hunters as a partner.

If you did not see that May 19: 04:32 pass on your chart, double check your location on Heavens Above. You may still be set to a city you searched for from the last time.

16 minutes ago, 8Nuts MotherGoose said:

Iconions - What Max and 99 said is also for the pass with BK Hunters as a partner.

If you did not see that May 19: 04:32 pass on your chart, double check your location on Heavens Above. You may still be set to a city you searched for from the last time.

Oh wow, even better!

3 hours ago, iconions said:

This couldn't have been LAST week when I was on vacation?????  4:30 in the bleeping morning...  Ah well, it's Waymarking!!!  Lemme know.

Well, Tom, I was going to ask you if you wanted to try for the May 19 pass near KCMO at 04:33, but I just checked the weather and it's telling me rain for the 17th, showers on the 18th and 19th. So, we'll just hold for now and hope they're wrong.

Keith

On 5/8/2019 at 10:47 PM, Max and 99 said:

I propose;

Max and 99 OKC May 18: 22:02:18 55°. 

Elton Ottawa, ON May 18: 23:07 52°.

??  Barcelona May 19: 05:22 45° (SW of Barcelona will be better)  

Confirmed:

OKC, OK  22:02 Max and 99

Waterloo, IA  22:04. IowaTom 

Ottawa, ON 23:07 (close!) elyob

Madrid, Spain 05:21 Picarax

Wow! 

Please good weather!

Elyob,

You and IowaTom are cutting it close. I suggested he move a little to the southwest, and if you move a little bit to the NE, we should be good.

I don't know your exact location, and am only going by the heavens above max. time, but you two are very close at this moment, with only 2 extra seconds.

Just now, Max and 99 said:

Elyob,

You and IowaTom are cutting it close. I suggested he move a little to the southwest, and if you move a little bit to the NE, we should be good.

I don't know your exact location, and am only going by the heavens above max. time, but you two are very close at this moment, with only 2 extra seconds.

5 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Elyob,

I think they are good by flight time at Max Alt. You only need 1 minute between observers. I'm not going be a stickler about it.

Am I seeing it correctly as:

OK City 22:02:47

Iowa      22:04:47 - 2 minutes from OK City

Ottawa 23:07:59 - 3 minutes, 12 seconds from Iowa

Olatha, KS is showing 22:03:49. All Iconions would have to do is drive 10 miles SW from Olatha and list by coordinates instead of town and he would be at 22:03:47. 1 minute from OK City and 1 minute from Waterloo, IA. He may even still be in Olatha city limits. If he want's to join the group, I have no objections.

The whole idea of this Category is to HAVE FUN and do something you've never tried before. Rules were made for this Category to prevent neighbors getting together and producing 100 Waymarks that can not be visited by others. The 1 minute rule also gives those playing the game a chance to realize just how fast the ISS is traveling from point to point. 2 seconds less than 1 minute won't change that. We can bend this rule. But like a stick, if you bend it too far and too often, it will break.

58 minutes ago, 8Nuts MotherGoose said:

I think they are good by flight time at Max Alt. You only need 1 minute between observers. I'm not going be a stickler about it.

Am I seeing it correctly as:

OK City 22:02:47

Iowa      22:04:47 - 2 minutes from OK City

Ottawa 23:07:59 - 3 minutes, 12 seconds from Iowa

Olatha, KS is showing 22:03:49. All Iconions would have to do is drive 10 miles SW from Olatha and list by coordinates instead of town and he would be at 22:03:47. 1 minute from OK City and 1 minute from Waterloo, IA. He may even still be in Olatha city limits. If he want's to join the group, I have no objections.

The whole idea of this Category is to HAVE FUN and do something you've never tried before. Rules were made for this Category to prevent neighbors getting together and producing 100 Waymarks that can not be visited by others. The 1 minute rule also gives those playing the game a chance to realize just how fast the ISS is traveling from point to point. 2 seconds less than 1 minute won't change that. We can bend this rule. But like a stick, if you bend it too far and too often, it will break.

10 miles SW is Gardner - a small town nearby.  Should be doable - I'll check the coordinates when I get home this evening...

1 hour ago, Max and 99 said:

I think someone is getting the Toms mixed up.

Max&99- Not sure which Toms your talking about. I only know Iowa Tom. But I was looking at Iconions in Olathe, KS. Trying to squeeze him between you and Iowa Tom.

Time

22:02:47 You in OK City

22:03:49 Iconions in Olathe, KS.

22:04:47 Iowa Tom in Waterloo, IA

Iconions is 2 seconds of flight time from being exactly 1 minute between both of you.

If he moves 10 miles SW to Gardner, KS, his time is 22:03:45

If he moves only 5 miles SW to Clare, KS, his time is 22:03:46

If he moves less than 5 miles SW to get 22:03:47, he is still in Olathe city limits.

39 minutes ago, 8Nuts MotherGoose said:

Max&99- Not sure which Toms your talking about. I only know Iowa Tom. But I was looking at Iconions in Olathe, KS. Trying to squeeze him between you and Iowa Tom.

Time

22:02:47 You in OK City

22:03:49 Iconions in Olathe, KS.

22:04:47 Iowa Tom in Waterloo, IA

Iconions is 2 seconds of flight time from being exactly 1 minute between both of you.

If he moves 10 miles SW to Gardner, KS, his time is 22:03:45

If he moves only 5 miles SW to Clare, KS, his time is 22:03:46

If he moves less than 5 miles SW to get 22:03:47, he is still in Olathe city limits.

I didn't know you were adding him.

And what a coincidence that IA to Ottawa is 1 min 3 seconds.

My view time is 22:02:48 at max.

I plan to be at these coordinates:

N 35° 37.423' W 97° 24.445'

Edited by Max and 99
On 5/8/2019 at 1:19 PM, elyob said:

In Ottawa, Canada, it looks like I could join for 18 May (23:07 my time) and/or 19 May (22:16 my time).  I do not need the category but I am pleased to assist if you wish.

23:07 elyob

Iowa Tom: He lives in Waterloo, Iowa and can see the pass at 22:04 at 81° to the SE. 

Got my minutes and hour mixed up. Sorry!

Edited by Max and 99

Now that we have all that confusion out of the way, I'll recap mostly for my benefit. Thank you, 8Nuts for keeping it accurate and organized.I

Anyone else we can squeeze in? LOL Go for it if you do!

May 18:

Edmond, OK. 

22:02:48

Olathe, KS

22:03:49

Waterloo, IA

22:04

Ottawa, Canada

23:07

Brunete, Spain

05:21 (May 19)

Did I get it right? Wow! What a collaboration!

On 5/8/2019 at 3:01 PM, BK-Hunters said:

a-rat-a-tat-tat,  we are still waiting to team up with someone. 

49.098522, -117.686967 Trail, British Columbia 

We would be willing to travel some distance to make this happen if weather conditions are favorable. :D

Are we partnering for the early.morning pass on May 19? Stillwater OK 48° at 4:33:18. Are you interested? Do you want to recruit FL? I think BoomersOTR are in Ft. Myers: 73°. 5:37:34. 

If you don't need me, that's O K. I'm just trying to get organized so I don't miss a responsibility.

There is also the early morning pass on May 18: 

BK  3:18

OKC 5:24:15. 83°.

6 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

Are we partnering for the early.morning pass on May 19? Stillwater OK 48° at 4:33:18. Are you interested?

Yes, 99, I'd like to give it a try, but as of this moment the WX don't look good. If we happen to see any of the workable passes on the 17th, 18th or 19th we'll record them then see who saw what on any of those nights. Our WX sez clouds, showers and periods of rain day and night for the next 6 days (and nights).

Keith

4 hours ago, BK-Hunters said:

Yes, 99, I'd like to give it a try, but as of this moment the WX don't look good. If we happen to see any of the workable passes on the 17th, 18th or 19th we'll record them then see who saw what on any of those nights. Our WX sez clouds, showers and periods of rain day and night for the next 6 days (and nights).

Keith

I have yet to tell my husband that we have to drive an hour north to possibly see the ISS. That is not going to go over well. So if your skies are bad (keep me posted), and our skies are bad, we won't mind at all staying home!

Edited by Max and 99
On 5/11/2019 at 9:42 PM, 8Nuts MotherGoose said:

You're not late. You're 6 days early. On the evening of May 17, the ISS will be flying by me in Donna, TX at 21:15. It will arrive at Washington, DC to your NW at 22:21. It will then fly over the Atlantic, remaining lit by the sun from over the top of the Earth. It passes over France in the wee hours of the morning of May 18 and then flies over the waters on the West side of Italy. We are still looking for partners in France and Italy who are willing to get up around 04:30 to observe the ISS Pass.

On the evening of May 18, the ISS will fly near Florida, past Washington, DC to the SE at 21:30. It will cross the Atlantic, and pass over France again in the early hours of May 19. It will continue on and pass to the East side of Italy and over Greece. We are still looking for partners anywhere along that Pass. (I can not view it from Texas.)

If anyone has any questions, contact me at 8nuts1@gmail.com. 

Sounds like a plan for the 17th, I'll put an alarm in my phone so I don't forget. Final exams start for me tomorrow so I may be drained, but I should be able to provide assistance Friday. Is there a website I can use to punch in my zip code and get an exact angle and time it'll cross my meridian? I haven't submitted any of these waymarks, so is there a procedure I should follow to get it approved? I see the majority, if not all, in this category have a screenshot of the ISS' path through the sky verses a photo of it from the ground (albeit it would be blurry and hazy).

8 minutes ago, bluesnote said:

Sounds like a plan for the 17th, I'll put an alarm in my phone so I don't forget. Final exams start for me tomorrow so I may be drained, but I should be able to provide assistance Friday. Is there a website I can use to punch in my zip code and get an exact angle and time it'll cross my meridian? I haven't submitted any of these waymarks, so is there a procedure I should follow to get it approved? I see the majority, if not all, in this category have a screenshot of the ISS' path through the sky verses a photo of it from the ground (albeit it would be blurry and hazy).

Go to https://www.heavens-above.com/main.aspx

WARNING - Do not click on any blue words below this point, they may take you to where you don't want to go.

Scroll down and click on Change your observing location

Enter your town and State in the top box and click Search.

When the page refreshes, scroll to the bottom and click on Update.

A new page comes up. Scroll down and click on ISS

A new page comes up with a list of all visible Passes for the next 10 day.

Look at May 17 for an evening Pass. In the middle of the chart "Highest Point" "ALT" should be greater than 45° for that Pass.

On that line : 

The first Time listed is when it comes up over the horizon and the direction you have to look.

The middle Time is when it is at it's highest point above you, the upwards angle you have to look and the direction to look.

The last Time is when it sets on the horizon and the direction to look.

Click anywhere on that Pass line - the next page is a star chart of the Pass through the sky. Hold it over your head and orient the map according to the directions in the corners of the picture.

Above the sky chart, click on Ground track. The next page shows the Ground Track of the ISS. Your town will be shown on it and the minute time along the path. Take a screen shot of this map. You will use it as the photo for your Waymark page.

• Upvote 1
11 hours ago, 8Nuts MotherGoose said:

Go to https://www.heavens-above.com/main.aspx

WARNING - Do not click on any blue words below this point, they may take you to where you don't want to go.

Scroll down and click on Change your observing location

Enter your town and State in the top box and click Search.

When the page refreshes, scroll to the bottom and click on Update.

A new page comes up. Scroll down and click on ISS

A new page comes up with a list of all visible Passes for the next 10 day.

Look at May 17 for an evening Pass. In the middle of the chart "Highest Point" "ALT" should be greater than 45° for that Pass.

On that line : 

The first Time listed is when it comes up over the horizon and the direction you have to look.

The middle Time is when it is at it's highest point above you, the upwards angle you have to look and the direction to look.

The last Time is when it sets on the horizon and the direction to look.

Click anywhere on that Pass line - the next page is a star chart of the Pass through the sky. Hold it over your head and orient the map according to the directions in the corners of the picture.

Above the sky chart, click on Ground track. The next page shows the Ground Track of the ISS. Your town will be shown on it and the minute time along the path. Take a screen shot of this map. You will use it as the photo for your Waymark page.

I think I got it, thanks for the very detailed explanation. It will be at a max angle of 65º and mag of -3.5 so I should be able to see it. Forecasts looks like it'll be clear tomorrow night.

https://www.heavens-above.com/gtrack.aspx?satid=25544&mjd=58621.0980642357&lat=39.0027&lng=-76.9355&loc=College+Park&alt=0&tz=EST

On 5/13/2019 at 6:00 PM, Max and 99 said:

Now that we have all that confusion out of the way, I'll recap mostly for my benefit. Thank you, 8Nuts for keeping it accurate and organized.I

Anyone else we can squeeze in? LOL Go for it if you do!

May 18:

Edmond, OK. 

22:02:48

Olathe, KS

22:03:49

Waterloo, IA

22:04

Ottawa, Canada

23:07

Brunete, Spain

05:21 (May 19)

Did I get it right? Wow! What a collaboration!

Weather forecast for beautiful (lookup what Olathe means supposedly and you'll see the humor or lack thereof...) Olathe, Kansas for Saturday evening is for a 90% chance of severe thunderstorms.  So, if I do not see the ISS, how about a REALLY nice photo of dark clouds, lightening, hail, and a possible tornando - you know, a typical spring Saturday night in Kansas :) ?

Keeping everything crossed so that the weather forecasters are at the usual 10% accuracy this far out!  :) 

5 hours ago, bluesnote said:

I think I got it, thanks for the very detailed explanation. It will be at a max angle of 65º and mag of -3.5 so I should be able to see it. Forecasts looks like it'll be clear tomorrow night.

https://www.heavens-above.com/gtrack.aspx?satid=25544&mjd=58621.0980642357&lat=39.0027&lng=-76.9355&loc=College+Park&alt=0&tz=EST

Weather Forecast for Donna, TX is partly cloudy. We'll see what we see.

On 5/14/2019 at 7:18 AM, Max and 99 said:

I have yet to tell my husband that we have to drive an hour north to possibly see the ISS. That is not going to go over well. So if your skies are bad (keep me posted), and our skies are bad, we won't mind at all staying home!

I think you can let the old man stay in bed. It's cloudy now, showers overnight and rain for the 18th and 19th. 

Last night we got a short break in the clouds, but I don't really expect any more breaks in the next 2 to 3 days.

I think we can safely scrub the mission this time, so everyone (Elyob and the Frosty Alliums Guy included) can stand down and stay in dreamland.

I'll start looking at ISS passes again in July. July and August are the only months in which we can almost guarantee clear skies here.

Keith

Edited by BK-Hunters
17 minutes ago, BK-Hunters said:

I think you can let the old man stay in bed. It's cloudy now, showers overnight and rain for the 18th and 19th. 

Last night we got a short break in the clouds, but I don't really expect any more breaks in the next 2 to 3 days.

I think we can safely scrub the mission this time, so everyone (Elyob and the Frosty Alliums Guy included) can stand down and stay in dreamland.

I'll start looking at ISS passes again in July. July and August are the only months in which we can almost guarantee clear skies here.

Keith

Turns out we can get away with only driving 20 miles, and he was ok with that.

Abort mission.  Message received.

I was asleep four hours ago but I still appreciate the notice above.  Mother Nature failed me at this end too.  The rain was very light so I still hiked over to my viewing perch.  Even the moon failed to break through the clouds this morning.

I have good news to share. BoomersOTR in FL is interested in the ISS waymark and even had clear enough skies this morning for a trial run. 

And on a lighter note, did anyone see last night's Big Bang Theory finale and subsequent memories show? Kaley asked Johnny if he remembered the time that she asked him where the ISS is. He burst out laughing. It's in space, Kaley!  I'll be thinking of Astronaut Howard the next time I watch the ISS.

10 hours ago, bluesnote said:

Just saw it pass over DC. Extremely clear night tonight made it very bright and easy to spot.

For me in Texas, clouds rolled in 45 minutes before the pass. Had holes where the moon shined through once in a while. Just after 67° Max Alt, the ISS showed itself through a hole in the clouds for about 5 seconds. At 45° to my NE it appeared again for about 15 seconds. I never saw it after that.

Just a friendly reminder to my fellow waymarkers: if you run a scavenger hunt, make sure you ignore the ISS Sightings category before activating your hunt.

The hunt will require you to visit an ISS waymark that you may never qualify to visit. Just be aware when scavenger hunting.

I hope that tonight's crew is ready for Mission OKKSIAOTSP!

The countdown begins!