ISS Passes May 2019

Good news: when I left the house it was not raining and I could see the moon.  Bad news: -3 magnitude was not enough to shine through the mostly cloudy skies.  Mother Nature has defeated me two days in a row.  It is no wonder that these waymarks are so rare.  Sorry team.

Just now, elyob said:

Good news: when I left the house it was not raining and I could see the moon.  Bad news: -3 magnitude was not enough to shine through the mostly cloudy skies.  Mother Nature has defeated me two days in a row.  It is no wonder that these waymarks are so rare.  Sorry team.

Your efforts are appreciated!

On 5/16/2019 at 11:57 AM, iconions said:

Weather forecast for beautiful (lookup what Olathe means supposedly and you'll see the humor or lack thereof...) Olathe, Kansas for Saturday evening is for a 90% chance of severe thunderstorms.  So, if I do not see the ISS, how about a REALLY nice photo of dark clouds, lightening, hail, and a possible tornando - you know, a typical spring Saturday night in Kansas :) ?

Keeping everything crossed so that the weather forecasters are at the usual 10% accuracy this far out!  :) 

Mission Control requests an update.

25 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I'm guessing that your view was as great as mine!

I had clouds to the southwest and to the northeast, HOWEVER, I had about two minutes of overhead viewing pleasure.  I picked up the space station at probably 65 degrees and got to watch it go to about 30 degrees above the NE horizon.  Not bad for the middle of the city.

4 minutes ago, Alfouine said:

Yes i saw it !!!! so fun

Wonderful! I just posted a photo of the Pass over you. Follow that Pass down and it goes over Broome, Australia 2 minutes AFTER sunrise.It's not visible for them.

On May 22 there will be a Pass over you at 22:44 that will also pass over Broome, Australia at 05:17 am on May 23. Do you know any Australian Waymarkers?

2 hours ago, 8Nuts MotherGoose said:

Wonderful! I just posted a photo of the Pass over you. Follow that Pass down and it goes over Broome, Australia 2 minutes AFTER sunrise.It's not visible for them.

On May 22 there will be a Pass over you at 22:44 that will also pass over Broome, Australia at 05:17 am on May 23. Do you know any Australian Waymarkers?

8Nuts - question for you. If the pass is under 45 degrees where I am, but still high enough for me to see, I can still visit someone else's waymark, correct??

4 minutes ago, vulture1957 said:

8Nuts - question for you. If the pass is under 45 degrees where I am, but still high enough for me to see, I can still visit someone else's waymark, correct??

8Nuts is the authority, but since we're all learning.... I'll chime in. YES, if you've already posted a waymark. And, you can only visit the nearest location for that waymark collaboration.

Here are the current visit guidelines:

Listed below are the latest Visitation Rules for the ISS Sightings Game. Simply read the steps beginning with both number ones and go to whatever step it tells you to go to next.

1 You observed a *community pass (distance is irrelevant in this case) Go to 2.

1 You observed a pass that **has no waymark established. Go to 6.

2 You already own an ISS waymark. Go to 5

2 You do not own an ISS waymark. Go to 3

3 The ISS passed over your location at or above the minimum altitude requirement. Go to 4

3 The ISS passed over your location under the minimum altitude requirement. Go to 6

4 Feel free to make a visit to the nearest waymark established for the community pass you also observed. [[[There is no real need to contact the owner of the waymark.]]] You must list (1) the date, (2) the time of your local maximum altitude, (3) your maximum local altitude and (4) upload a Heavens-Above image of the ground track past you position. NOTE! If you have a GPSr and a digital camera, please post a photograph of your GPSr next to the printed ground track image. Take the picture at the location from where the observation was made.

5 No matter what the altitude of your pass you may visit the nearest waymark made for a community pass that you also observed one or more orbits after you made your waymark. See 4 above for more details.

6 Sorry but you cannot claim a visit.

*Community pass: a pass that was observed by ***two or more players that were at least 293 miles (472 km) apart. This pass must be in accordance to the altitude requirements set forth in the game rules.

**Watch for this! You may claim a visit to a waymark made for a pass that you saw but only sometime later learned was made into a waymark.

***In the rules there is a provision that will allow a single player to make a waymark if the other/s were clouded out.

Did I get that right, 8Nuts?

Edited by Max and 99
Included visit requirements
3 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

8Nuts is the authority, but since we're all learning.... I'll chime in. YES, if you've already posted a waymark. And, you can only visit the nearest location for that waymark collaboration.

Did I get that right, 8Nuts?

Yes, Max and 99, you got it correct.

1. You can not visit an ISS Waymark until you have created one of your own. You have to partner with another person, follow the rules, and observe the ISS at your location before you can create a Waymark.

2. When you have created an approved Waymark, you may post a visit on your partners Waymark. If there are more than 2 Waymarks produced for 1 pass, you may post a visit to the nearest Waymark that is not your own. You are not allowed to post a visit to every Waymark on the Pass. You are always allowed to post a visit to your own Waymark.

3. If you have created an ISS Waymark in the past - After your first Waymarked Pass, you may post a visit to any pass that you view that has Waymarks created. Your view does not have to be above 45°. Your visit must be to the nearest Waymark of that pass.

4. Any questions?

1 hour ago, elyob said:

Forty seconds of flight is alot better than zero.  If any other waymarkers watched the pass, I will continue building this waymark.  

http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WM10JJG_ISS_Sighting_Edmond_OK_Ottawa_ON_Brunete_ES_site_3

I'm so glad this worked out. Practically every single school district in my state is closed tomorrow because of expected severe weather (this is Tornado Month). I can't believe we got several passes watched this weekend.

One of my husband's students introduced him to the SkyView app many months ago. He loves it! I'll attach a screenshot in a minute.

ISS_Map_05_19_2019.jpg

Edited by Max and 99

Do I need to take a photo of the ISS? Yesterday I couldn't see it, because there were just too many clouds, but today I saw it almost all the way from one side of the horizon to the other. It was brighter than the stars around and there were just some clouds at the horizon, but apart from that I could perfectly watch the ISS wander across the sky.

7 minutes ago, PISA-caching said:

Do I need to take a photo of the ISS? Yesterday I couldn't see it, because there were just too many clouds, but today I saw it almost all the way from one side of the horizon to the other. It was brighter than the stars around and there were just some clouds at the horizon, but apart from that I could perfectly watch the ISS wander across the sky.

You do not have to take a photo of the ISS. But you definitely need to see it/watch it in order to create or visit a waymark!

Edited by Max and 99
55 minutes ago, PISA-caching said:

Well, unfortunately, I didn't take a photo of the ISS or my GPS, but I clearly saw it. I found some waymarks that have no such photo, but if you think that my waymark and/or visit will be declined/removed, I will not even try and take another chance some day.

Are you able to take a screenshot showing coords and date/time on the app/phone for future sightings? Just wondering.  That's my preferred proof that I was there.

The ground track image seems to be the most important photo. And the easiest to get! 

If Alfouine and PISA-caching both watched the very same pass of the ISS, the reviewer will likely accept waymarks written according to the category guidelines.

PISA-caching, what was the time and the location when you watched the ISS?

Edited by elyob
4 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

Well, unfortunately, I didn't take a photo of the ISS or my GPS, but I clearly saw it. I found some waymarks that have no such photo, but if you think that my waymark and/or visit will be declined/removed, I will not even try and take another chance some day.

Your Waymark no longer requires a photo of your GPS. A Screen shot of the Ground track for that pass will do nicely.

I, as the reviewer, was aware of the pass that you both observed. I know only one of you observed it. That one can write up a Waymark and submit. Be sure to list that your partner did not see it.

Don't be surprised if you get a Declined. For first time Waymarks in this Category, it usually means you forgot to include some item in the write-up. A quick addition to the write-up and resubmit will usually get an approval.

Edited by 8Nuts MotherGoose
Corrected information.
  • Upvote 1
16 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

Are you able to take a screenshot showing coords and date/time on the app/phone for future sightings? Just wondering.  That's my preferred proof that I was there.

The ground track image seems to be the most important photo. And the easiest to get! 

Yes, I would be able to do that. Although I wouldn't consider that to be a proof. I could change date/time to whatever I want and pretend that I was there at the right time.

16 hours ago, elyob said:

If Alfouine and PISA-caching both watched the very same pass of the ISS, the reviewer will likely accept waymarks written according to the category guidelines.

PISA-caching, what was the time and the location when you watched the ISS?

I was on the flat roof of our apartment building at 22:48 local time. About 1-2 minutes later I saw the ISS and watched it until around 22:56. I was at around N48 13.2 E16 18.9 (I have the exact coordinates, but don't want to post the exact coordinates of where I live).

15 hours ago, 8Nuts MotherGoose said:

Your Waymark no longer requires a photo of your GPS. A Screen shot of the Ground track for that pass will do nicely.

I, as the reviewer, was aware of the pass that you both observed. I know only one of you observed it. That one can write up a Waymark and submit. Be sure to list that your partner did not see it.

Don't be surprised if you get a Declined. For first time Waymarks in this Category, it usually means you forgot to include some item in the write-up. A quick addition to the write-up and resubmit will usually get an approval.

I'm a little confused now (as if I hadn't been confused when reading the category description). You say that a photo of the GPS is no longer required. I have downloaded the image of the ground track that I saw on heavens-above.com.

But why do you say, that only one observed it? Alfouine saw it in France and I saw it in Vienna, Austria. Alfouine was kind enough to send me the data of the ISS's appearance in Vienna. He said that he saw it and I also saw it. So, what exactly is the problem?

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

I'm a little confused now (as if I hadn't been confused when reading the category description). You say that a photo of the GPS is no longer required. I have downloaded the image of the ground track that I saw on heavens-above.com.

But why do you say, that only one observed it? Alfouine saw it in France and I saw it in Vienna, Austria. Alfouine was kind enough to send me the data of the ISS's appearance in Vienna. He said that he saw it and I also saw it. So, what exactly is the problem?

Submit your waymarks for review.  I suspect that everything will work out fine.

7 minutes ago, PISA-caching said:

I will and hope for the best. And if the waymark will be declined I will give it another try and do better next time.

Alfouine, thank you for your help with this project.

if it is declined, 8Nuts will tell you what detail you missed. Just make the correction and re-submit. There are some stringent requirements for this category, and it is not easy to get all teh little things in it the first time.

I just did a visit to one of Max and 99's sightings, and it was the wrong day! Finally saw the correct sighting posted, deleted the first visit and submitted the visit to the correct sighting. And, I had to edit it 3 times to get the correct info on it.

4 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

I apologize, I miss-read your posts. I thought one of you did not see it. You both can post a Waymark.

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

Yes, I would be able to do that. Although I wouldn't consider that to be a proof. I could change date/time to whatever I want and pretend that I was there at the right time.

The reason we don't require a photo of the GPS any more is because most people are now using their smart phone as a camera and as a GPS. It's difficult to use your smart phone to take a photo of your smart phone with the Ground Track in the background.

Can anyone think of a Fool-Proof way of showing Proof when a phone can be fooled into showing the wrong time/date and wrong location?

At the End, it still requires the Honor of the observer to say whether he saw it or not.

Edited by 8Nuts MotherGoose
added last line
25 minutes ago, 8Nuts MotherGoose said:

The reason we don't require a photo of the GPS any more is because most people are now using their smart phone as a camera and as a GPS. It's difficult to use your smart phone to take a photo of your smart phone with the Ground Track in the background.

Can anyone think of a Fool-Proof way of showing Proof when a phone can be fooled into showing the wrong time/date and wrong location?

At the End, it still requires the Honor of the observer to say whether he saw it or not.

I'm not smart enough to figure out how to spoof the location and time. 

I think honor is going to be a big element in both posting and visiting ISS waymarks.

34 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I'm not smart enough to figure out how to spoof the location and time. 

I think honor is going to be a big element in both posting and visiting ISS waymarks.

definitely. Just like on the 18th of this month. I posted here that I missed the time by about 8 minutes. Clear sky. I know that if I had been outside at the correct time, I would have seen it. But I was late. My fault, no visit for me. And even if I did take a picture of my GPSr, the date on the darned thing says its 1998! (It's old, software glitch. I need a Windows 7 or earlier computer to do the upload to fix, and all mine are Win10.) So all it would show is my coords. I could get that picture today.

On 5/13/2019 at 4:43 PM, BK-Hunters said:

Knock Knock!

Who's there?

Tom

Tom who?

Tom Tom

You realize that the above joke woulda gotten you a butt kicking when I was a kid - I HATED "Tom Tom".  I've mellowed somewhat in 57+ years on this planet, though... LOL

7 hours ago, iconions said:

You realize that the above joke woulda gotten you a butt kicking when I was a kid - I HATED "Tom Tom".  I've mellowed somewhat in 57+ years on this planet, though... LOL

The operative word being "somewhat", right?!?! :) :D :)

Keith

6 hours ago, BK-Hunters said:

The operative word being "somewhat", right?!?! :) :D :)

Keith

I haven't gotten in a tussle with anybody on the forums in at least six months - :) :) :P   That's mellowed out!  Of course, most of that time is due to the fact of trying to figure out why my Mom decided to stack her car into another one ahead of hers.  People break at 80 when they get into car wrecks.  Anyway, she is doing MUCH better and I am able to be my cantankerous self Waymarking on this planet, and now, with the help of several other people, Waymarking objects floating by in the heavens.  That was really too cool to get several people together like that!

1 hour ago, iconions said:

That was really too cool to get several people together like that!

And a new Waymarking ISS Distance Record.

I also learned something new this year. The ISS stays lighted by the sun for only about 48 hours straight. Then the Earth shadow starts covering the path again.

We know we can have partners between North America and Europe because we just did it. I think there's also a chance to get partners between Europe and Australia.