ISS Passes May 2019

I'm looking for an International partner for a May 18 or 19 pass (see attached photo).  I will soon be contacting possible partners to gauge interest, but for now I'm posting on the forums to give notice to anyone who might be interested. Multiple partners can likely be accommodated.

OKC ISS Pass May 18-19, 2019.png

2 hours ago, Alfouine said:

I am OK to be a partner, i live near Tours in Loire Valley, France.

I'm REALLY hoping we can work out a viewing together. As soon as my husband finishes grading finals, we'll check the times again and see if it'll work out.

47 minutes ago, elyob said:

In Ottawa, Canada, it looks like I could join for 18 May (23:07 my time) and/or 19 May (22:16 my time).  I do not need the category but I am pleased to assist if you wish.

I'd love to team up with you again! Your assistance would be much appreciated!

Thanks to both of you.

a-rat-a-tat-tat,  we are still waiting to team up with someone. 

49.098522, -117.686967 Trail, British Columbia 

We would be willing to travel some distance to make this happen if weather conditions are favorable. :D

Edited by BK-Hunters
4 hours ago, BK-Hunters said:

a-rat-a-tat-tat,  we are still waiting to team up with someone. 

49.098522, -117.686967 Trail, British Columbia 

We would be willing to travel some distance to make this happen if weather conditions are favorable. :D

Look at Heavens Above for May 17. At 00:55 the ISS comes out of the Earths shadow and passes north of you at 00:56. It then passes over the length of Canada and arrives 8 minutes later over Ottawa at 04:04. All you have to do is convince elyob to get out of bed.

2 minutes ago, 8Nuts MotherGoose said:

Look at Heavens Above for May 17. At 00:55 the ISS comes out of the Earths shadow and passes north of you at 00:56. It then passes over the length of Canada and arrives 8 minutes later over Ottawa at 04:04. All you have to do is convince elyob to get out of bed.

Or stay awake until he watches the pass!

15 minutes ago, 8Nuts MotherGoose said:

I guess we will now hope that we can catch him in a good/generous mood. We'll give it a shot, but not 'til tomorrow as he needs his sleep to rest up for late night ISS watching.

Keith

30 minutes ago, BK-Hunters said:

I guess we will now hope that we can catch him in a good/generous mood. We'll give it a shot, but not 'til tomorrow as he needs his sleep to rest up for late night ISS watching.

Keith

You have a Pass to your SW on May 18 at 03:18 that passes over Oklahoma City, OK at 05:25.

You also have a pass on May 19 at 02:27 that passes near Kansas City, MO at 04:33 and continues on to Florida.

Edited by 8Nuts MotherGoose
Added one Pass.
9 hours ago, Alfouine said:

I am OK to be a partner, i live near Tours in Loire Valley, France.

Are you ready to get up in the early morning hours of May 18 and help produce a Record for the longest distance between two paired Waymarking Observers?

I live in Donna, TX and have a Pass on May 17 at 21:15 to my SE. It will also pass to the NW of Washington DC at 22:21. It will then cross the Atlantic Ocean and arrive SW of Tours, France on May 18 at 04:35. It will continue along the West side of Italy, passing over the toe at 04:39. The distance along the ISS path between Donna, TX and Tours, France is approximately 10,000 km (6000 miles.)

One day later on the evening of May 18, an ISS Pass will start over Florida and pass to the SE of Washington DC at 21:30. It will then cross the Atlantic and arrive NE of Tours, France on May 19, at 03:45. It will continue it's pass along the East side of Italy.

2 hours ago, BK-Hunters said:

Keith

I will mark calendar, 17 May, before 04h04.

43 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I propose;

Max and 99 OKC May 18: 22:02:18 55°. 

Elton Ottawa, ON May 18: 23:07 52°.

??  Barcelona May 19: 05:22 45° (SW of Barcelona will be better)  

I will mark calendar, 18 May, before 23h07.

17 hours ago, 8Nuts MotherGoose said:

You have a Pass to your SW on May 18 at 03:18 that passes over Oklahoma City, OK at 05:25.

You also have a pass on May 19 at 02:27 that passes near Kansas City, MO at 04:33 and continues on to Florida.

Hey Max & 99 - as for these passes, I'll have a  look at them. Possibly we could do them, too.

Keith

22 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I've been recruiting.

IF by chance we get multiple waymarkers in Spain interested, who else in OKC is interested in posting a waymark for the late night May 18 pass?

you  don't really have to ask that, do you??  Of course I'll play!

14 minutes ago, 8Nuts MotherGoose said:

BK Hunter- I think the pass by Kansas City is below 45° for Max & 99. Double check! I think there are two  from Missouri who post on these Forums. Maybe they will help you.

If we're talking about the same pass...

Very bright!

may 18

5:23

87°.

We're talking about different passes. ?

Edited by Max and 99

No luck yet finding a partner in Spain.

Madrid: 

19 May

-3.9 05:18:00 10° NW 05:21:19 88° NE 05:24:36 10° SE visible

FYI to potential partners: May is typically tornado season in Oklahoma, our worst month for bad weather. As long as there's a chance to spot the ISS, we'll still be out looking.

Edited by Max and 99

Here's a photo of the ISS Passes from North America as they arrive in Europe. Note dates at the top of each red line Pass and times along the line.

Donna, Texas - May 17, 21:15  to Tours, France - May 18, 04:35

Jacksonville, Florida - May 18 #1, 21:27 to Tours, France - May 19 #1, 03:44   NOTE: This Pass is also view-able  from the southern tip of the United Kingdom.

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma - May 18 #2, 22:02 to Madrid, Spain - May 19 #2, 05:21

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma - May 19, 21:11 to Madrid, Spain - May 20, 04:30

Remember that all Pass Lines are drawn by rough estimate. 

The Yellow line between Madrid and the red line to the NE is a measurement line. That distance is the ground distance for 45° viewing of a Pass in this photo. If you are less than that distance from any point on any red line, chances are that you are close enough to that pass to view it above 45° Max Alt.

IF you are new to this and need information, feel free to ask. 

Europe May 18-20.jpg

1 hour ago, Alfouine said:

Thank you for this map, but unfortunatelly it will be too far from my house

You do not have to be directly under the ISS Pass to view it and create a Waymark for it. Anything over 45° Highest Point Alt is acceptable. According to the chart for Tours, France. The ISS can be viewed from Tours at 75° Altitude on May 18, and at 74° Altitude on May 19. Anywhere within 320 km of these passes will work. That covers most of France for these two Passes.

IS ANYONE ELSE INTERESTED?

Tours, France.jpg

Thank you for these informations

I would like to produce the same chart with my exact coordinates, how could i do ?

I published on the french Waymarking facebook page a post to find other fench waymarkers interested.

Edited by Alfouine
Forget to say thank you
1 hour ago, Alfouine said:

Thank you for these informations

I would like to produce the same chart with my exact coordinates, how could i do ?

I published on the french Waymarking facebook page a post to find other fench waymarkers interested.

Go to Heavens-Above.com

Click on ""change your observing location"

Ignore the blank lines and scroll all the way down below the map.

Enter your Latitude and Longitude in DD.ddddd format.

Enter the Name that you wish to call this search point.

Change the time zone if necessary.

Click on "update"

You will then be taken back to the main page where you click on "ISS" and your chart will appear.

A REMINDER - There is Language selection in the upper right hand corner of the page.

Added language selection info.
  • Love 1

Alfouine, That Pass will be through South America in afternoon daylight before it arrives at your location.

That Pass will work if you have a partner in northern Portugul, northern Spain, or even a friend in Vienna, Austria.

If you click on that line, a page will come up with a sky map showing the stars and path of the ISS as seen from your location. Just above the sky map in blue print is "ground track." Click on it and you will see a map of your part of the Earth with the ISS Path on it with each minute of time. The lighted circle is the area where you can see the ISS. This is the map that we post when creating our ISS Waymark.

Looking at that map: At ~23:37 the ISS will be directly above but off the coast of Portugul/Spain. You may see it rising from the horizon to your WSW, although usually you won't see it for another minute because it's still in hazy atmosphere. It will slowly rise in the sky and appear as a bright moving star (if it is blinking, it's an airplane, not the ISS.) At 23:40 it will be almost overhead at 77° to the NNW. (90° is directly overhead.)  At about 23: 42 it will be getting low in the ENE sky and will start to dim as it enters hazy atmosphere and disappears when it's above the SE Border of Poland.

Sorry - At the top of this post I said South America is in afternoon daylight. I was wrong. It should have said "in the Earths shadow"

correction to post.
7 hours ago, 8Nuts MotherGoose said:

That Pass will work if you have a partner in northern Portugul, northern Spain, or even a friend in Vienna, Austria.

Here's your chance, Thierry - contact Andreas (PISA-caching) in Vienna. He'll likely be happy to partner with you!!!

Keith

17 minutes ago, BK-Hunters said:

The May 18 - 05:23 pass (for you) will work for me. I'll mark the calendar and hope for the best.

Keith

I'll tape notes all around the house to remind me.

My husband just informed me that the 10 day forecast calls for rain in OKC on May 18!  Boohoo!!! Go away, rainl

6 hours ago, BK-Hunters said:

Here's your chance, Thierry - contact Andreas (PISA-caching) in Vienna. He'll likely be happy to partner with you!!!

Keith

For me, these ISS discussions might as well be written in Russian language. I just don't understand it (yet). :-) But I'm willing to help and of course I would also love to post a waymark in this category. So, I will read the category description over and over again until I understand (hopefully before May, 19th ;)).

Search for International Space Station Sightings and find more of Mandarin. :-)

What I understood so far: Two waymarkers try to see the ISS (at night of course) within one orbit around the earth. These two waymarkers have to be at least 472 km apart. For example Alfouine in France and myself in Austria. We have to determine a specific orbit, where we both have the chance to see the ISS. If we both saw it, we can both create a waymark of that sighting and post a visit of each others waymark. If one of the partners didn't see it (for example because it was all cloudy), the other one can still post a waymark.

If anything of the above is wrong, please let me know.

Edited by PISA-caching
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, PISA-caching said:

What I understood so far: Two waymarkers try to see the ISS (at night of course) within one orbit around the earth. These two waymarkers have to be at least 472 km apart. For example Alfouine in France and myself in Austria. We have to determine a specific orbit, where we both have the chance to see the ISS. If we both saw it, we can both create a waymark of that sighting and post a visit of each others waymark. If one of the partners didn't see it (for example because it was all cloudy), the other one can still post a waymark.

so far, sounds about right.

And, sometimes it can go from the US, into eastern Canada, then be seen in Europe "the next morning". There would also be events where it shows late evening in Europe, then descends the next morning in Asia, maybe Australia.

2 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

PISA-caching - You have everything correct. You missed one requirement - Your view of the ISS must be at least 45° above the horizon (which is listed as "Highest point-Alt")

3 hours ago, Torgut said:

I would be happy to know what you are all talking about. Sounds like mandarim to me ? Can't even find the category in WM... searched by ISS and nothing.

Hello Torgut.

I felt the same way as you until I created my first ISS waymark!

Here's an example of an ISS waymark, which will also get you to the category:

http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WMA0VC

PISA caching and 8NutsMotherGoose have answered the specifics, but if you have any other questions, just ask!

One thing I've learned over the years is that most people don't realize that you can see the ISS with the naked eye. You do NOT need a telescope! It looks like a star that is flying over the sky. It's brightness is listed under the pass information on heavens above (the larger the negative number, the brighter it'll look). If it blinks, it's not the ISS! On average, it'll take the ISS about 3-5 minutes to completely go across your view of the sky. It all depends, but this gives you an idea of how fast the object will be travelling from your view.  Minimum 45º altitude for both people viewing the pass, and you must be at least 293 miles (one minute of flight time) away.

ISS Faro Portugal.png

Edited by Max and 99
15 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

I'll tape notes all around the house to remind me.

My husband just informed me that the 10 day forecast calls for rain in OKC on May 18!  Boohoo!!! Go away, rainl

Actually, our forecast is looking the same -  cloudy and showers. CRAP! Meteorologists ALWAYS get it right, no?

Keith