Changing Ownership

FshngGC

A Geocacher put a lot of caches in our area about nine years ago and then disappeeared.  Needless to say, many of the still functional caches are either given inaccurate locations or are barely maintained by their visitors.  There are some that I would like to care fore but it would be easiest if I could take them on myself.  Like I said: the geocacher disappeared.  I can't contact him through geocaching so it is not possible to do this through him...is there any other way?

4 minutes ago, FshngGC said:

A Geocacher put a lot of caches in our area about nine years ago and then disappeeared.  Needless to say, many of the still functional caches are either given inaccurate locations or are barely maintained by their visitors.  There are some that I would like to care fore but it would be easiest if I could take them on myself.  Like I said: the geocacher disappeared.  I can't contact him through geocaching so it is not possible to do this through him...is there any other way?

You can only adopt the cache from the owner. 

• Upvote 1

Log NMs if the cache is in need of attention. Wait a month and log an NA if there is no response from the owner. If the cache already has NMs, log an NA. Leave a note letting the reviewer know you would like to hide your own cache in the area.  Once the cache is archived hide your own cache in the area and set a great example. 

Visitors are supposed to find caches, not maintain them for absentee owners.

Log a NM on them, and then a NA about a month later. Explain the absentee owner that you cant contact. 

The locations should be available soon afterwards.

• Upvote 2
On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 4:04 PM, L0ne.R said:

Log NMs if the cache is in need of attention. Wait a month and log an NA if there is no response from the owner. If the cache already has NMs, log an NA. Leave a note letting the reviewer know you would like to hide your own cache in the area.  Once the cache is archived hide your own cache in the area and set a great example. 

Although the process can be a long one,  if your committed to hiding caches in the area this is the best way to proceed.      

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 3:49 PM, FshngGC said:

A Geocacher put a lot of caches in our area about nine years ago and then disappeeared. 

Needless to say, many of the still functional caches are either given inaccurate locations or are barely maintained by their visitors.  There are some that I would like to care fore but it would be easiest if I could take them on myself. 

Like I said: the geocacher disappeared.  I can't contact him through geocaching so it is not possible to do this through him...is there any other way?

You say they're "still functional".   Are others finding them with "inaccurate" coordinates ?  Maybe it's not off as much as you think...

Caches shouldn't be maintained by visitors on a regular basis.   A piece of paper until a CO can maintain it themselves is good. 

Unlike some, I would log a NM if I just found the cache and it's in poor condition.

- I wouldn't be "that guy..." ,  back-dating NMs just to get spots open for me.     Some do it for petty ill will...

I'd wait for those caches to eventually go away naturally, then if the spot is really that special, place one there myself.   :)

1 hour ago, cerberus1 said:

- I wouldn't be "that guy..." ,  back-dating NMs just to get spots open for me.     Some do it for petty ill will...

Unless something has changed, you cannot back-date NM logs. They are forced to use the current date.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
4 hours ago, niraD said:

Unless something has changed, you cannot back-date NM logs. They are forced to use the current date.

So someone would have to log a NM maybe long-after they've actually been there. 

Don't even know for sure...      :)

Edited by cerberus1
calming... ;)
7 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

I would never have thought of doing that and would never do it if I had. Is this something a reviewer would spot?

2 hours ago, colleda said:

I would never have thought of doing that and would never do it if I had. Is this something a reviewer would spot?

I'd assume so, since there's been a few threads on "Reviewers not archiving caches I NA". 

IIRC one was a series with NAs placed in spite, and the Reviewer knew that.

But thanks to niraD  I remembered you can't back-date NMs.  Saw it in a thread a few years ago and forgot - found it in my notes ...     :)

A Reviewer said "That guards against poor form, like backdating a Needs Maintenance log to three months ago, and then logging a Needs Archived, claiming the owner neglected the "old" maintenance report."

There's one here in the forums that their immediate reply on this subject is "Log NMs if the cache is in need of attention, keep track for a month, then place an NA if no response", so guess it's a good idea that isn't an option.  

We don't know of anyone locally who'd be so determined to archive a cache that they'd actually keep track like that. 

But we have seen a few folks log NM just to tick-off local folks who'd normally "keep it maintained for a while", and a couple just because they wanted that spot.

We got hassled at times (the other 2/3rds mostly  ;-) simply with NM when we're at a cache, I can't picture what folks think of those not Reviewers  armchairing NMs n NAs.

Edited by cerberus1
old news...

The cache I referred to as having inaccurate bearings (that would put in the middle of a road shoulder) is actually a couple hundred feet away...down a road and on the other side.  Both caches are maintained completely by visitors (I put the containers and logs that are currently there) and more and more of his listings are having to be archived.  These two listings will soon be along a bicycle path and I was thinking of putting up a set of caches along that path. It will be a few miles long, and could include these two.

Edited by FshngGC
On 5/7/2019 at 11:10 PM, K13 said:

Visitors are supposed to find caches, not maintain them for absentee owners.

Log a NM on them, and then a NA about a month later. Explain the absentee owner that you cant contact. 

The locations should be available soon afterwards.

I still stand by this advice. And believe that the Guidelines support this. 

Don't enable a crappy, absentee owner.  Allow the bad caches to be archived and place others after the crappy ones are gone.

• Helpful 1
  • Love 1