How do I download data on my finds?

topazfae

I would like to download my data on my finds - such as type, state, title.  I tried the pocket query and use GC projects but was not able to get information that I wanted.  I'm very sure that there is a way for me to get raw data on my finds.

Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated.

14 minutes ago, jecepede said:

Aloha !

Elas, the tips from arisoft and noncentric do not work since pocket queries will max out on 1000 chaches  or 500 km.

I tried to run some queries on my cache-buddies profile, who found 920, I only got as far as a downloadable file of 450 caches.

Cheeeeeeeeeers,

Jecepede

Please read the recommendations again - carefully. You should download the special PQ MyFinds. That PQ does hold all your finds (even if there are more than 1000).

Edited by HHL
  • Upvote 1

Aloha ! 

Oh I should of elaborated. I can login to my cache buddies profile so in essence I am my cache buddy after I log into my cache buddies profile.

So my cache buddies finds are... my finds... (Am I making sence ?)

Soooo read carefully again.... and.... I got 450 caches ?

This is what the output of the query looks like :

1.     (lightning-icon) My Finds Pocket Query         1.02 Mb            450             22/Jun/2019 (6 days remaining)

What am I doing wrong ? We have wanted this for ions but can't get over the 1000 caches/500 km boundary ???

Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers,

Jecepede

Edited by jecepede
46 minutes ago, jecepede said:

I tried to run some queries on my cache-buddies profile, who found 920, I only got as far as a downloadable file of 450 caches.

A whole lot of duplicate finds?  Loads of lab caches?  Never had an issue with the My Finds PQ, and I now have over 5000 finds.

You have over a 1000 finds on your own  account.  Does it work for you?

• Upvote 1

Aloha !

45 minutes ago, HHL said:

You're occupying another's thread with your issue different from the TO. That's bad behaviour. Full stop

I stand corrected. This should have gottin it's own thread.

My reasoning was I did not want to double post and hopefully spare the original poster the same mistake as I am doing... 1/4 impuls ahead ?

34 minutes ago, IceColdUK said:

You have over a 1000 finds on your own  account.  Does it work for you?

I have not tried since I figuerd : If it does not work with 920 caches, why try with an account that has even more caches...

Cheeeeeeeeeeeers,

Jecepede

i didn't see all replies until now :( I was trying to get raw data because I want to get countries and types in each states etc.  I couldn't do that unless I do them manually which is too much (even with only 370 finds).  I was thinking, there must be a raw data.  I exported it to gpx and tried to open it in excel but I was not able to. I am still trying to manipulate it.  For examp,e I would think my gpx has information such as type, counties, D/T so on.  I know how to get my data via my finds.

22 minutes ago, topazfae said:

I know how to get my data via my finds.

Download your MyFinds PQ file. Use a third party tool like GSAK. Import your MyFinds PQ. Filter on your desired type of data (e.g. States)

87a96afedf60e5ed88d9791b1b823fb6.png

Result:

38a6c1207d036defef68b0f9f672190b.png

Hans

Minor technical issue only, a gpx from Geocaching.com includes the geographic data used  by Geocaching.com.  Country, and state/province or equivalent - if that region is defined on Geocaching.com.  Some countries do not divide further into states/provinces on Geocaching.com. Argentina breaks into 23 provinces, but  on Geocaching.com, it's just Argentina.

USA county data is not in the gpx.  German county data is not in the gpx. That info is provided by other applications that map the coords to known county boundaries. In Hans image of his GSAK database above, the county column data is being generated by GSAK.    Another example is altitude/elevation. It's not in the gpx, but  applications will  drop the coords on  a topo  map and provide it. If Hans were interested, he could add that column to his database, and GSAK would offer an elevation value. 

Edited by Isonzo Karst
On 7/28/2019 at 7:39 AM, topazfae said:

i didn't see all replies until now :( I was trying to get raw data because I want to get countries and types in each states etc.  I couldn't do that unless I do them manually which is too much (even with only 370 finds).  I was thinking, there must be a raw data.  I exported it to gpx and tried to open it in excel but I was not able to. I am still trying to manipulate it.  For examp,e I would think my gpx has information such as type, counties, D/T so on.  I know how to get my data via my finds.

GPX (GPS Exchange Format) is an an Xml format (you can read it with any text editor) based on a GPX schema which has extensions created by Groundspeak for modeling geocache data.  I've written some code which will transform all of the "useful" elements into a CSV file or directly to an Excel file.   There are other various tools such as waypoint managers (GSAK is the best, if you've got a windows computer) that can parse a GPX file or integrates with the geocaching.com API directly to load geocache data into a GSAK database,  which then can be used ti dice and slice the data, and create map visualizations of the data.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1