magellan meridian gold repair

I have a good friend who has had this unit since the beginning he has I don't know how many way points on it (allot).  Well I'm sure some of you can guess what happened next........he had went to use it last year and the battery (one of them) had leaked and there was corrosion on 2 of the battery tabs.  We cleaned it up the best we could and put new batteries in it and nothing.  I took it apart and cleaned some more still no luck.  I don't see any damage.  I'm just trying to get it to power up so we can get the way points off of it.   without any knowledge on the component level of this device and not having one to compare it to I'm at a loss.    He has all but quit fishing  he went everyday while it was working now he is going once a week ( old man set in his ways).  His birthday is coming up big 75 and I would very much like to send it to get it repaired or get some help on what to look for.  I would be more than willing to pay for the repair the repair to him would be priceless.   I have even purchased a humminbird 1198 with side scan and spent hours on his boat  (which is space age to him) showing him what to look for and how to mark it , he can get close to a 150 spots just from memory  but it's not the same to him.  Like I said he is my friend and this would mean the world to him. thank you for any help

I suspect it will be difficult to find someone to repair this device. I have tried to get my Lowrance Endura Sierra repaired (needs power switch replaced or re-soldered) and can't find anyone who will touch it. 

A better option for you might be to buy a working Meridian Gold on eBay. There are currently a couple of them listed there for under $50 with shipping.

21 hours ago, alandb said:

I suspect it will be difficult to find someone to repair this device. I have tried to get my Lowrance Endura Sierra repaired (needs power switch replaced or re-soldered) and can't find anyone who will touch it. 

A better option for you might be to buy a working Meridian Gold on eBay. There are currently a couple of them listed there for under $50 with shipping.

46 minutes ago, _Art_ said:

I’d take a look, but if you’re anywhere other than Australia, it would probably be a better bet buying one off eBay before even paying postage here & back.

Yes, but none of these options help them recover the hundreds of waypoints saved on the existing unit.

I never played with those, so I have no advice beyond disassembling the unit, trying to provide the main PC board with power (completely bypassing the battery contacts) and if that works, be ready to connect to your PC/MAC and copy waypoints while you can!

Edited by Atlas Cached

It could be an expensive waste of time. It’s really hard to call.

I haven’t had specific experience with gadgets destroyed by batteries, so I asked about it to check something:

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/corroded-batteries-(suspect-issues)/

The nugget in the reply (that I didn’t ask about) was how the gadget could have potentially been lost by trying to power it afterwards,

especially while any electrolyte was wet.

Having said that, the choice is yours. I’m pretty good, and can solder minuscule things,

and an inspection microscope is on it’s way that should arrive before any new mail could :D