"DNF" draft opens with "Found it" as pre-selected log type

pjacklam

Here is how to reproduce:

• Go to the list of drafts: https://www.geocaching.com/account/drafts
  • Locate a draft for a "Didn't find it" log
  • Open the draft in a new tab (e.g., with Chrome, right click on the mouse and select "Open link in new tab")
  • The pre-selected log-type is "Didn't find it"
  • Write the log text and click "Post" to submit the log
  • Go back to the list of drafts and open the same draft in a new tab
  • The pre-selected log type is now "Found it" (even though the draft is still for a "Didn't find it" log

I find this confusing and error-prone. I like to open each draft in a  new tab. Some times I accidentally open a draft that I have already logged. It would be nice if I was told that I have already logged a "DNF" on this cache, but at least I should get the correct log type.

Edited by pjacklam
  • Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1
On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 12:49 AM, pjacklam said:

Here is how to reproduce:

• Go to the list of drafts: https://www.geocaching.com/account/drafts
  • Locate a draft for a "Didn't find it" log
  • Open the draft in a new tab (e.g., with Chrome, right click on the mouse and select "Open link in new tab")
  • The pre-selected log-type is "Didn't find it"
  • Write the log text and click "Post" to submit the log
  • Go back to the list of drafts and open the same draft in a new tab
  • The pre-selected log type is now "Found it" (even though the draft is still for a "Didn't find it" log

I find this confusing and error-prone. I like to open each draft in a  new tab. Some times I accidentally open a draft that I have already logged. It would be nice if I was told that I have already logged a "DNF" on this cache, but at least I should get the correct log type.

I think I know what's happening. After you submit your DNF log based on the draft, that draft is removed in the background and no longer exists. When you go back to the un-refreshed Drafts list and try to open the same draft that actually doesn't exist anymore, I suspect the behavior is then what you would get if you clicked "Log a new visit" from the cache listing. For a cache you had DNFed or otherwise hadn't found yet, the default log type when doing this would be "Found it". This suspicion could be confirmed by trying the same procedure on a "Found it" draft, because the default for such a case from the listing would be "Write note".

I use the same type of procedure as you when I'm logging my finds from drafts. To avoid confusion, I always refresh the Drafts page after submitting one (or maybe every other one) to clear out the drafts that have already been processed.

• Upvote 1
19 hours ago, The A-Team said:

I use the same type of procedure as you when I'm logging my finds from drafts. To avoid confusion, I always refresh the Drafts page after submitting one (or maybe every other one) to clear out the drafts that have already been processed.

Another solution and the one I use most is top open the "Compose Log" link in a new tab. Do that for each first, even, and then go through them tab by tab.  If you want you can refresh the Drafts page to see that they're being created. or know where you left off.

I hate relying on the Back button for any website with form submission and default field values and whatnot. The content of the fields entirely depends on how the developers programmed the pages and isn't consistent across all websites. (which is why I'm happy HQ made the Compose links actual links, not form submission scripted buttons-that-look-like-links like some other parts of the website)

On 5/7/2019 at 10:16 PM, The A-Team said:

I think I know what's happening. (…)

Your explanation about what is happening seems reasonable. It feels wrong, though, that clicking a DNF draft defaults to a "Found it" log, but I don't the technicalities behind this, so I don't know how easy it is to fix this – or if it can be fixed at all.

I have adopted the same way of logging – refreshing the drafts page every now and then. Thanks!