Photo Of Cache / Helpful Hint

RadioDJ

Hi Fellow Geocachers,

I have wondered when there has been that pesky cache that we've spent nearly an hour looking for and cannot find - if a second helpful hint could be a picture of the actual item you are looking for. Specifically for the ones that state "other" - I find that GPS coordinates aren't always the most reliable, descriptions and even hints don't really help - so a second "hint" to see what you are actually looking for may be helpful to some - I know for some caches it would be helpful for us. 

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, RadioDJ said:

I have wondered when there has been that pesky cache that we've spent nearly an hour looking for and cannot find - if a second helpful hint could be a picture of the actual item you are looking for.

You would use this helpfull hint primarily when looking for any cache, wouldn't you?

If you can not find a cache you should post a DNF log and move forward to the next cache. You may come back at some other day and may be you have better luck then.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

There is a multi nearby where I cannot find its first stage although it should be on coords. The GPS conditions here are difficult, it throws me over 15 meters around while physically standing in one place and there is no clue for the first stage, so it is unknown for me what size it is and where to search for it. But it is D4.5, so I just have to keep trying :)

I sometimes give tiered hints like this:

[Puzzle starting point:] Fgnegvat cbvag tbrf urer
[Puzzle hint:] Urer vf n fznyy uvag
[Puzzle spoiler:] Ovt uvag be fcbvyre

[Cache hint:] bar bs gurfr guvatf vf abg yvxr gur bguref
[Cache spoiler:] rknpgyl jurer vg vf

4 hours ago, RadioDJ said:

I have wondered when there has been that pesky cache that we've spent nearly an hour looking for and cannot find - if a second helpful hint could be a picture of the actual item you are looking for. Specifically for the ones that state "other" - I find that GPS coordinates aren't always the most reliable, descriptions and even hints don't really help - so a second "hint" to see what you are actually looking for may be helpful to some - I know for some caches it would be helpful for us. 

You don't say, but since this is the website forum, what are you actually looking for ?   

Difficulty and Terrain should give a clue whether you'll spend two minutes, or nearly an hour. 

We know some COs who'd hold your hand and lead you to the cache themselves if need be, to find it.

They even allow finder's spoiler pics on their cache page.

But we know many COs that don't want this hobby dumbed-down more than it already is, and who'd like to keep a pic of what folks are looking for off  their higher D/T cache's page. 

- To them it's a spoiler.  

• Upvote 2
4 hours ago, RadioDJ said:

I have wondered when there has been that pesky cache that we've spent nearly an hour looking for and cannot find - if a second helpful hint could be a picture of the actual item you are looking for. Specifically for the ones that state "other" - I find that GPS coordinates aren't always the most reliable, descriptions and even hints don't really help

I did an "ammo can in the park" cache once that no one could find. 

I found the tiny, micro ammo can in a couple minutes, the guy who can't find anything under 30cal.  :D

- It had "Other" listed as it's size, and guess folks just didn't notice.    "Other" was the second, helpful  hint.

Most times we find "Other" to be nanos.  Some COs believe that people won't look for them, knowing what they are.

But "Other" could be an ammo can, or anything in-between.    :)

• Upvote 1
On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 6:39 AM, Keystone said:

What is the feature request here?  Cache owners already have the ability to post a spoiler photo, if desired.  Is this a request for the website to enforce this as a rule for all cache submissions?  That would not be very popular.

Of course not.  The reviewer should go out and take a photo of the cache.  What else do they do?

On 5/4/2019 at 4:04 AM, RadioDJ said:

I have wondered when there has been that pesky cache that we've spent nearly an hour looking for and cannot find - if a second helpful hint could be a picture of the actual item you are looking for.

If you're having difficulty with a cache, contact the CO.  Chances are, they have already given what they feel is sufficient information in the cache description and hint and other clues for you and other cachers to find the cache at the difficulty and terrain level that they have set.  Previous logs are often a source of information too - they've helped us on more than one occasion!

The CO may be willing to give you a nudge to help you out; are others having the same difficuly finding this one?  I have a multi that folks seemed to be having trouble with - I upped the difficulty and reworded a couple of the questions - and if contacted I will give some other hints.  But photos of the container and its hiding spot?? Not going to happen!