Reverse Geocache

jonahunwritten

Yeah reverse geocaches are no longer allowed, but people often make them as trackable items to be discovered.  We have an owner nearby who at special events will set an arbitrary 'gz' coordinate, and let people take the box to the location for the fun of it.

The equivalent allowable cache is the reverse Wherigo that basically turns your device into that reverse cache - it just tells you how far you are from 'gz' (the actual geocache to find and sign). That's still allowable :)

Edited by thebruce0
On 5/5/2019 at 7:39 AM, thebruce0 said:

Yeah reverse geocaches are no longer allowed, but people often make them as trackable items to be discovered.  We have an owner nearby who at special events will set an arbitrary 'gz' coordinate, and let people take the box to the location for the fun of it.

The equivalent allowable cache is the reverse Wherigo that basically turns your device into that reverse cache - it just tells you how far you are from 'gz' (the actual geocache to find and sign). That's still allowable :)

Hi there.

Sorry to bring up a old thread but this is the only reference I can find about reverse caches not being allowed any more.

Do you have a post or link to the rules which state reverse caches are banned?

Thanks

Edited by pomtom44

Traveling caches are certainly disallowed. And Traditionals where the geocache is not at the listed coordinates are disallowed. So it would depend how it's set up.

It may be possible to do a puzzle cache where you you collect an item at a starting waypoint which is the thing that takes you to the final (per a reverse geocache) - and reverse wherigos are the equivalent to that where they turn your device into the 'reverse geocache' leading you to the final; and trackable items might have some similar setups...  but AFAIK the concept of "hold the traditional geocache in your hand and take it to the destination coordinates so that it unlocks" cannot be listed as a Traditional cache.   Whether it can be listed as a Mystery/puzzle, I'm not positive.

I think it's more just a matter of seeing if the concept fits the guidelines rather than looking for an explicit reference to the concept being disallowed.

*shrug*

We have a local cacher who loves his reverse cache and takes it to events for people to have fun with, and he regularly confirms that it's no longer allowed as a physical cache. But I haven't found direct references to it them being disallowed with some cursory searches...

NO, I have the impression that there is some misunderstanding about reverse Cache.

Here are two excamples:

https://coord.info/GC8EQEM

https://coord.info/GC8F38P

Here are many of those.

The concept is the following:  Open a Wherigo Cartridge also called " reverse geocache box " , enter three different numbers and the GPS gives you a distance to the cache, no direction.  Then the display goes black.

You start walking (hopefully in the right direction) and after a little while, you start the cartridge again, and again, you get a distance to the cache.  And so on until you are very close, than the cartridge gives you the coordinates and maybe a hint.

The reverse geocache box can be used worldwide since only the three numbers you have to enter defines the final location.

Edited by Mausebiber
4 minutes ago, Mausebiber said:

The concept is the following:  Open a Wherigo Cartridge also called " reverse geocache box "

No there's a difference between the physical "reverse geocache box" which isn't allowed, and a "reverse Wherigo" geocache. The former cannot be a traditional because the cache must be located at the posted coordinates.  It might be able to be published as a Mystery depending on how the listing and physical components are constructed. A reverse Wherigo is allowed, because you are using your GPS to be guided to the location of the physical geocache.

The intent of the "reverse geocache" originally was this:

Traditionally, you would follow your GPS to the geocache location to discover it and sign the logbook.

In the reverse geocache, you have the geocache in hand, but you can't open it until you get to the proper coordinates.

Today there are variants of the "reverse" experience, some allowed, some not, and some grandfathered. But the traditional "reverse geocache box" (the physical geocache you need to open) can only be located at the posted coordinates for a Traditional Geocache listing.

In contrast to a Reverse Wherigo cache, which ends up at a real geocache container with a logbook, a true "Locationless Cache" (which were also called "reverse caches" back in the day) cannot be published.  (An exception was made for the Signal the Frog cache as part of the 20th anniversary festivities.)

For a locationless cache, the owner would describe a category, like drive-in theaters or yellow jeeps or log cabins or covered bridges.  Then, geocachers would go out into the world and attempt to find a location that fits the category.  They would report the coordinates for the location they found, and each "find" would only be allowed once.  These were discontinued in connection with the launch of Waymarking.com.  A Waymarking category is analogous to a locationless cache.

I mention this history in case this is what pomtom44 is inquiring about.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2

Yes, that's the reverse Wherigo.

I was going by the OP's label "reverse geocache box" which implies physical box that you carry with you with the intent of having it open when you arrive at specified coordinates.

ETA: Ah, yes the revival post, only referring to "reverse cache". Possible miscommunication, and clarification needed ;)

Edited by thebruce0

Just to add my 2 cents.

I emailed HQ with a description of my face and they said mystery cache is fine

My idea the user doesn't have to go further than 150m from the start in a open field to unlock the cache (gps tool in the physical cache with a distance indicator)

So they said it's allowed.

I think what isn't allowed is taking the cache far away (multicache style) so if someone else comes along there is no cache or no person visible

Where as my idea it's in a open field so all line of sight