Trackable tags

Vi2Vi

I've been wondering about why every trackabel tag looks the same. A rektagular aluminium or alike tag with "the bug" on one side and text and tracabel number on other side. 

Is there no imagination or is it just cheeper to buy them that way? 

And more I have purchased a number of trackable codes but how to make a durable tag? Any ideas? 

113617852_2018-08-0915_35_26.thumb.jpg.58bfcab1adf0f97a5cdde84cd691aa0f.jpg

Edited by Keystone
7 minutes ago, RuideAlmeida said:

I guess the real "soul" of a TB is the piece that each geocacher decides to attach to the tag. The sky is the limit...

Yep. The Travel Bug tag is just the part that has the tracking number. It is intended to be attached to something.

There are also geocoins (which have their own artwork), and more recently, there are Travel Tags (which also have their own artwork).

Only Travel Bug tags look the same, and are usually the cheapest option to send an item traveling.

Looking only at the tag itself it might seem  "plain", but many we've found were very creative in their attached items .

We've seen everything from a zip tie to hello kitty plushes, or a bowling ball to human cremains,  the "tag" only there for the code to log it found.  :)

There are trackable tags , jewelry/charms, Legos, locks, dog collars, patches, and clothing - all trackable, most with unique icons.

Of course there's geocoins, most with unique icons too.

I kinda gave up explaining the "bulk codes" thing, many not realizing what's involved after you buy those "cheap" codes.

- That  "well so n so told me to do it that way..." thing.   I don't need that aggravation.  :D

We've found it to be a real pain-in-the-can, a lot more work, and (for us) not worth the hassle.

Much simpler (and turned out cheaper) to have a manufacturer make 'em for us, codes and all included.

• Helpful 2
28 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Only Travel Bug tags look the same, and are usually the cheapest option to send an item traveling.

Looking only at the tag itself it might seem  "plain", but many we've found were very creative in their attached items.

+1

"The Travel Bug" dogtags tend to be a pretty good deal in the Geocaching Shop if you order a bunch.  Other than clearance tags which you also find in the Shop and other places, Travel Bugs are some of the least expensive ways to get a durable tracking tag.  If it vanishes during travel (likely), it's not like it was the fanciest Geocoin ever.  As long as you don't go nuts with the attachment, maybe it's just desirable enough to get moved to another cache, staying in play longer.

• Helpful 1

A key component of the Travel Bug is the bug.  So of course the bug symbol is going to be a prominent feature on the tag. Even so, there are variations in how the bug tag appears - mostly with regard to color and/or country flags. You can see some differences HERE.

There are also Travel Tags, which are much more varied in themes. Currently available ones from HQ can be found HERE, but there are many others available from different vendors and/or are available for limited times. And there are Geocoins.  They are functionally the same as Travel Bugs, but don't feature the bug symbol.

Other items are also trackable, like t-shirts, hats, patches, decals, keychains, tattoos, etc. And with trackable codes, there's almost no limit to the creativity that can be applied.

6 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

We've seen everything from a zip tie to hello kitty plushes, or a bowling ball to human cremains,  the "tag" only there for the code to log it found.  :)

There are trackable tags , jewelry/charms, Legos, locks, dog collars, patches, and clothing - all trackable, most with unique icons.

I have also see user created art, that is trackable (when the the creator has brought the item to an event) in the form of ceramics, wood carvings, and metal work.  In these cases, the tag was not attached to the item, but the tracking code was "signed" somewhere on the artwork

15 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

I kinda gave up explaining the "bulk codes" thing, many not realizing what's involved after you buy those "cheap" codes.

- That  "well so n so told me to do it that way..." thing.   I don't need that aggravation.  :D

We've found it to be a real pain-in-the-can, a lot more work, and (for us) not worth the hassle.

Much simpler (and turned out cheaper) to have a manufacturer make 'em for us, codes and all included.

Is it even possible for someone to just buy a bunch of the bulk codes? I thought you had to show HQ that you were manufacturing items that would use the codes.

From the Trackable Code Orders page:

To buy codes, submit an order form with your trackable details and design.

We’ll send you an email when your design is approved.

...and if people are buying raw codes from someone else who already bought them from HQ:

You may not resell trackable codes.

If we determine that you have resold trackable codes, we may remove the codes from Geocaching.com and revoke your purchasing privileges.