Any other Apollo 11 anniversary caches planned?

I am hosting an event cache on the 50th anniversary of the first moon landing. Apollo 11 Fiftieth Anniversary

I am holding this at a dry lake bed used for rocket launches by our local club, and I plan to launch an Estes model of the Apollo Saturn V. I thought of having it on the anniversary of the launch, but that would be Tuesday the 16th, and I thought it would be better on Saturday, 7/20.

Any other Apollo 11 related events or caches being planned? This seems like it might even be worth a Souvenir, "Apollo 11 Anniversary Caching".

• Upvote 1
11 hours ago, Dave_W6DPS said:

I am hosting an event cache on the 50th anniversary of the first moon landing. Apollo 11 Fiftieth Anniversary

I am holding this at a dry lake bed used for rocket launches by our local club, and I plan to launch an Estes model of the Apollo Saturn V. I thought of having it on the anniversary of the launch, but that would be Tuesday the 16th, and I thought it would be better on Saturday, 7/20.

Any other Apollo 11 related events or caches being planned? This seems like it might even be worth a Souvenir, "Apollo 11 Anniversary Caching".

I'm kind of surprised that you were able to get the event published.  Sure, Apollo 11 is a significant event but it seems like an event that might have taken place even if no geocachers attended.   While I don't really care about promotional souvenirs, if GS is going to create them,  I'd prefer to see it for something actually related to geocaching.    I suppose that since satellites and rockets go into space that they're somewhat related but that seems like a stretch and just an excuse to add more digital artwork to user profiles.  Rather than create more promotional souvenirs I'd like the see GS address the rather significant issues with the new search map.

• Upvote 1

I don't see why the event wouldn't be published, if geocachers can attend and at least talk about geocaching; that's sufficient to be geocaching-themed.

But the souvenir, yeah, almost certainly wouldn't get one.  The Geocaching In Space promo a few years back was because of the ISS geocache and TB travels, so there was reason to hold official events and provide a souvenir.

4 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

I'm kind of surprised that you were able to get the event published.  Sure, Apollo 11 is a significant event but it seems like an event that might have taken place even if no geocachers attended.   While I don't really care about promotional souvenirs, if GS is going to create them,  I'd prefer to see it for something actually related to geocaching.    I suppose that since satellites and rockets go into space that they're somewhat related but that seems like a stretch and just an excuse to add more digital artwork to user profiles.  Rather than create more promotional souvenirs I'd like the see GS address the rather significant issues with the new search map.

Hmmm.... Never heard that position before. Events I've seen often have themes other than geocaching. No one around here seems to think that "focusing on the social aspect of geocaching" requires that the theme of the event has to be about geocaching.

4 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

I'm kind of surprised that you were able to get the event published.  Sure, Apollo 11 is a significant event but it seems like an event that might have taken place even if no geocachers attended.

I think you've misunderstood the relevant guideline. For reference, here it is:

Cannot be added to an existing non-geocaching event, such as meet-ups at concerts, fairs, sporting events, and scouting events

It has nothing to do with whether it could take place even if no cachers attended. You just can't turn an existing non-caching event into a caching Event. As far as I can tell, the Apollo 11 Event posted above isn't an existing non-caching event that was already going to happen, based on what Dave_W6DPS said about choosing a different date.

Also note that there's no requirement for the theme of an Event to be caching-related (or for there to even be a theme, at that). Look at things like Pi Day or 11-12-13, which - while nerdy - otherwise have no connection to caching.

14 hours ago, The A-Team said:

I think you've misunderstood the relevant guideline. For reference, here it is:

It has nothing to do with whether it could take place even if no cachers attended. You just can't turn an existing non-caching event into a caching Event. As far as I can tell, the Apollo 11 Event posted above isn't an existing non-caching event that was already going to happen, based on what Dave_W6DPS said about choosing a different date.

Also note that there's no requirement for the theme of an Event to be caching-related (or for there to even be a theme, at that). Look at things like Pi Day or 11-12-13, which - while nerdy - otherwise have no connection to caching.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but based on a previous event in the same location that also involved the same activity (rocketry) and appeared that it might be more a rocketry event where attendance could be increases by publicly inviting geocachers as well.    Perhaps the CO did have a discussion with the reviewer or it wasn't an issue at all with the reviewer but that particular guideline is worth noting for other considering submitting another related event.  

I know that there isn't a requirement that an event has to be caching related.  I was thinking more about the promotional souvenirs that have been created that don't seem to be related to geocaching.  Obviously there's no requirement that souvenirs have to be geocaching related, but when they're not it feels contrived to me, and just a marketing tool employeed that generates interest if they give away some free pixels.  

11 hours ago, Keystone said:

The OP's event is a fun and positive topic.  It's also fine to hide caches and launch travel bugs that are themed to the Apollo 11 landing.  Let's get back on those fun topics, thanks.

Thanks for the vote of confidence! And the nudge to hide some themed caches. I am sure I can think of a few to place for release coincident with the various event anniversaries. Such as launch, landing, recovery, etc.

8 hours ago, The A-Team said:

Ooh, now there's an idea. Literally launch travel bugs! :laughing:

It might be interesting to literally launch some TBs and then release them at the event. Should be good start to a story. And then maybe race to Houston or Florida....

15 hours ago, The Blue Quasar said:

I have one in for Review in Niagara Falls, ON at "The Flying Saucer"  It will be https://coord.info/GC87CXP when published.

Cool, tag me when it's up. I might like to attend. If it's more than just a M&G ;)