Basecamp. Change multiple 'Symbol and Name'

I have been trying to change the 'Symbol and Name' to just 'Symbol' in Basecamp .

I can replace one Geocache at a time by right clicking on the Geocache then clicking on 'open' and then I can change to either 'Symbol', 'Symbol and Name' or 'Symbol and Code'

When I select multiple geocaches and right click, I get 'Show on map' rather than 'Open.

I can change quite a few other items at once such as way points in Basecamp but cant seem to do multiple geocaches.

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong, or could give any pointers please?

Thank you

- I have downloaded the geocaches to the computer, unzipped and imported to Basecamp.

bc1.png

BC.png

bc2.png

Which version of BC?

When I select one waypoint, then press CTRL-A, they all highlight, and if I right click I get 'Open', and they all open.

Also, if I open any one waypoint then hold CTRL while selecting additional waypoints, they are added to the 'open waypoint' box.

See GPSrChive > Basecamp > Data Management > Edit Multiple Items for some information on this subject.

Edit: DOH! Apparently, BC does not allow the user to change how geocaches are displayed on the map (in bulk)! You are not doing anything wrong, it just can not be done!

Edited by Atlas Cached

Basecamp isn't really all that great at managing geocaches. Notice that all caches have the same icon regardless of type. In fact, I recall there being formatting problems for geocaches loaded via Basecamp. The issue is that Basecamp removes the Groundspeak  extensions. It is best to just load cache files directly, or use GSAK or iCaching to manage geocaches for you.

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, Mineral2 said:

Basecamp isn't really all that great at managing geocaches. Notice that all caches have the same icon regardless of type. In fact, I recall there being formatting problems for geocaches loaded via Basecamp. The issue is that Basecamp removes the Groundspeak  extensions. It is best to just load cache files directly, or use GSAK or iCaching to manage geocaches for you.

Very true.

BaseCamp is just another in a long list of Garmin unfinished projects.

I had to load some geocaches into BaseCamp just to test the OP issue as I also do not use BC for geocache processing. (I use GSAK)

23 hours ago, MonkeyFaceX2 said:

When I select multiple geocaches and right click, I get 'Show on map' rather than 'Open.

This is a difference between the Windows version and the Mac OS/x version. On my iMac, I can select (one or) multiple caches in the list, right-click and change between Symbol Only, Name Only and Symbol and Name. On the Windows version, it could only be done one at a time.

Note: It has been a long time since I used Basecamp for cache-run planning; so things may have changed either way since then.

Atlas Cache

I dont know on how to check which version of BC I have, I suspect, unfortunately it to be the latest version. I am aware Garmin has stopped supporting BC but hopefully it will be around for some time.

Mineral,

Noted about GSAK, cheers. I need to get my head round PQ's first before I even attempt anything else.

I use BC for hiking so hoping to incorporate them together.

Spurges 

Cheers also for replying, I downloaded a few more caches (through gritted teeth I might add) tonight, from 'a list' then through Garmin express. Im not 100% sure unfortunately as there was much profanity?

And I got different results.

I can not change the names that are indexed but I can change all Geocache info on the map. Which is great if I can replicate this again...

May I ask. Spurges and Atlas. How did you download your caches for this BC test, download straight to BC or device or through GE?

Thank you all

- Windows 7 here

BC21.png

bc22.png

Edited by MonkeyFaceX2
Windows 7
4 hours ago, MonkeyFaceX2 said:

Mineral when say "The issue is that Basecamp removes the Groundspeak  extensions. It is best to just load cache files directly", do you mean straight to the Gpsmap 62st, PC?

Cheers

Yes, Since pocket queries download as zip files, you'll need to unzip them first. So download the zip file to your PC, unzip it, and put the GPX files directly in the GPX folder of your 62st, or better yet, in the <drive>:/Garmin/GPX folder on an SD card.

Basecamp is great for hiking. You can load maps, draw out a track to follow, make a route, manage waypoints, and view your actual track details. Unfortunately, it's not great for geocaching. The (somewhat) good news, when your GPS is plugged in, you can view the installed geocaches on a map for planning purposes in basecamp. I would just refrain from trying to make any changes to them. Since you're using a 62, which has a 5000 geocache limit, managing caches via pocket query is quite doable. Not that GSAK isn't useful, but I find cache management software to be more useful when trying to manage larger quantities of caches on those devices that have no geocache limit.

The only time I import geocaches into Basecamp is when working with a multi-cache that has visible waypoints to visit. I'll download the individual GPX file from the cache page which includes all of the child waypoints and put together a route to follow because Basecamp can find the most efficient route with a handful of waypoints.

Thanks Mineral

I had been trying to download PQ's with 'block up poppers' enabled, how I laughed when I turned them off and I able to download PQ's straight off the bat - all those hours of pure frustration.

I have attached a picture of a problem I am experiencing  with downloading one PQ file though, one file downloads as a zip which I have no problem with unzipping/extracting and inputting the data on the device, the other file however is blank. The blank file, I selected GPX file,  the PQ had run and I had received an email to say so. When I download the file I get, well, nothing. Does anyone have any ideas please?

I have been using Basecamp for a few years now, I get by. I will only be doing a couple of caches at a time if any whilst out hiking. I am aware that there might be a few Basecamp 'artists' here who have learnt Basecamp the hard way and self taught,  much admiration to them. 

For anyone wondering on how I managed to change the items. To replicate the previous post where I was able to manipulate 'Name and Symbol', I made 'a list' and used 'send to' to Garmin Via Garmin Express. It download as a different format, I think, in that it downloaded the Geocaches as way points, instead of geocaches.

BC600.thumb.png.5930074d7568a0b6ff3d0d83084d8e63.png

Mineral I have just purchased GSAK. I have not put my serial in as of yet to register, I will when I have a bit more time and fancy punishing myself. I have also bookmarked some GSAK tutorial videos.

Atlas- Regarding GpsrChive. I have used that site quite a bit, never noticed the Basecamp area so have bookmarked the page, it looks to have lots of useful information written down which I like.

Cheers

Edited by MonkeyFaceX2

The way to do this is to

1) export the geocaches from BaseCamp into a GPX file, 

2) "delete and remove unique content" in BaseCamp

3) search the exported file for the "SymbolAndName" value in the gpxx extensions tags, replace it with "SymbolOnly"

4) re-import the changed GPX file back into BaseCamp.

It's irritating, but it's a lot quicker than manually editing thousands of waypoints.

See my BaseCamp experiences at https://www.the-gardners.co.uk/techie/back-to-basecamp/