Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
niraD

Help Center Correction: Premium-only caches

Recommended Posts

The Help Center article Premium-only caches says (emphasis added):

 

"Premium-only caches offer VIP access to thousands of additional geocaches all around the world. Cache owners decide if their geocache can be found by all members or if they are only accessible to Premium members."

 

Technically, this is incorrect. Setting a cache to PMO does not restrict whether a basic member can find or even log the cache. Setting a cache to PMO only restricts whether a basic member can view the cache listing.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post

Great point.  A more accurate phrase would be something like:

 

"Premium-only caches offer VIP access to thousands of additional geocaches all around the world. Cache owners decide if their geocache listing can be viewed found by all members or if they are only accessible to Premium members."

  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post

I’d like to see it go further, and make it clear that Basic members are permitted to find and log PMO caches.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
33 minutes ago, IceColdUK said:

I’d like to see it go further, and make it clear that Basic members are permitted to find and log PMO caches.

Somehow, I don't think that's likely in the section of the Help Center that is pitching premium member features.

  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, niraD said:

The Help Center article Premium-only caches says (emphasis added):

 

"Premium-only caches offer VIP access to thousands of additional geocaches all around the world. Cache owners decide if their geocache can be found by all members or if they are only accessible to Premium members."

 

Technically, this is incorrect. Setting a cache to PMO does not restrict whether a basic member can find or even log the cache. Setting a cache to PMO only restricts whether a basic member can view the cache listing.

 

Hmmm.  I just wrote something nearly identical to that in another thread.  

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 9:24 AM, niraD said:

The Help Center article Premium-only caches says (emphasis added):

 

"Premium-only caches offer VIP access to thousands of additional geocaches all around the world. Cache owners decide if their geocache can be found by all members or if they are only accessible to Premium members."

 

Technically, this is incorrect. Setting a cache to PMO does not restrict whether a basic member can find or even log the cache. Setting a cache to PMO only restricts whether a basic member can view the cache listing.

 

There is a link in that quoted text that says pretty much what you suggest.  Click that link, and on that page you read "Premium-only caches can only be seen by Premium and Charter members."

 

Help Center stuff just scratches the surface of any issue.  This Topic is actually not so bad, unless one is the poor fool who by reading the Help Text assumes that "PMO caches" are invisible to Muggles or not subject to theft or vandalism.  Obviously, Geocaches "can be seen", and if caching with a Premium Member, the basic member may see the full cache page, find, and log the cache.  Otherwise the listing shows no page text and no coordinates.  Everything else is available to basic members.

 

Edited by kunarion

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/2/2019 at 9:42 AM, kunarion said:

 

There is a link in that quoted text that says pretty much what you suggest.  Click that link, and on that page you read "Premium-only caches can only be seen by Premium and Charter members."

 

Help Center stuff just scratches the surface of any issue.  This Topic is actually not so bad, unless one is the poor fool who by reading the Help Text assumes that "PMO caches" are invisible to Muggles or not subject to theft or vandalism.  Obviously, Geocaches "can be seen", and if caching with a Premium Member, the basic member may see the full cache page, find, and log the cache.  Otherwise the listing shows no page text and no coordinates.  Everything else is available to basic members.

 

 

The confusion still lies in the use of PMO-caches to refer to the cache listing *and* the physical (or virtual) game piece commonly referred to as "the cache".   PMO status only effects the geocache listing, but not the physical (or virtual) game piece or the ability to log a find against the cache listing.

  • Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2

×
×
  • Create New...