Creating a GEO ART

skyye53

I have a wonderful trail in mind for a GEO ART but have not found a thread that will help me create one. I wish to have the GEO ART in the form of puzzle icons with true/false answer for the coordinates. I do not know how to do this. I have done Geo Art where once the correct solution is made there is an automated UPDATE to their cache page of the corrected coordinate thus eliminating the need to update manually.

Is there anyone in this wonderful world that can help me with my project.

Thank you

The "automated UPDATE" is the corrected coordinates feature.

You will need to find an open area where other cache icons won't interfere with your GeoArt icons.

You will need good mapping tools and planning skills to plot out the GeoArt design in a manner such that the actual cache containers are no farther than 2.0 miles from the false coordinates that form part of the GeoArt image.

You will want to check with your friendly local Community Volunteer Reviewer in advance to find out if there are existing hidden waypoints that might interfere with your chosen locations, and to "reserve" your area along the wonderful trail for a reasonable number of weeks while you are working on your project.

Thank you. This is a good start. I do have the trail with my original hides along a good portion of a corridor (* presently disabled them while I work on the coordinates outlay) I have noted a You Tube video that featured the creation of the image, the Google Earth application and some other things. I really appreciate your comment about contacting the reviewer too. I have noted on my "disable" cache log that I am working on a NEW Project for the Millenium trail. It seems daunting at this moment but I am certain that with people such as your self I will have more INSPIRATION and encouragement to try and make this GEO Art come to fruition.

Sounds good.  Even if a cache page is disabled, your reviewer will see it if someone else is trying to hide a cache along your trail.  Our procedure is to reach out to the owner of the disabled cache page to ask if they are still working on their cache; if they are, then we tell the other hider that the spot is already taken.  The reservation is good for a "reasonable" period of time.

I know that multiple sources suggest using Google Earth to plot out geo-art icons, but it is not absolutely necessary.  I did not Google Earth at all when creating my own GeoArt.  I used Basecamp and clear plastic to get my initial coords, by drawing the shape on the plastic and then taping it to my laptop screen to plot the waypoints.

To better refine my shape, I used my coords as "corrected coords" in a series I'll never do (in a faraway state).  My GeoArt locations would then show up as puzzle piece icons on the map.  By using my coords for that existing series, I could see how my shape would look on the actual geocaching.com and app maps - especially at different zoom levels.  I then adjusted the coords from there.

One thing I also did is distribute my actual hide locations across a wide enough area that I wasn't monopolizing any particular trail.  Of course, it helped that I had enough area to utilize multiple roads and trails.  I also avoided placing my hides within 0.1 miles of a trailhead. I'm hoping cachers will enjoy the area enough to want to place some trailhead caches themselves.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 3
16 hours ago, noncentric said:

To better refine my shape, I used my coords as "corrected coords" in a series I'll never do (in a faraway state).  My GeoArt locations would then show up as puzzle piece icons on the map.  By using my coords for that existing series, I could see how my shape would look on the actual geocaching.com and app maps - especially at different zoom levels.  I then adjusted the coords from there.

Great idea!

23 hours ago, noncentric said:

I know that multiple sources suggest using Google Earth to plot out geo-art icons, but it is not absolutely necessary.  I did not Google Earth at all when creating my own GeoArt.  I used Basecamp and clear plastic to get my initial coords, by drawing the shape on the plastic and then taping it to my laptop screen to plot the waypoints.

One thing I also did is distribute my actual hide locations across a wide enough area that I wasn't monopolizing any particular trail.  Of course, it helped that I had enough area to utilize multiple roads and trails.  I also avoided placing my hides within 0.1 miles of a trailhead. I'm hoping cachers will enjoy the area enough to want to place some trailhead caches themselves.

I used GoogleEarth and the overlay image function to layout my shape on the map.