Garmin Montana 610 Geocache Symbols

jlfbos

I am struggling with geocache symbols on the Garmin Montana 610. When I download a Pocket Query and upload it to the 610, all caches are displayed on map of the 610 as Traditional Caches.

I am running a Mac with iCaching. Tried all kind of putting and naming Custom Waypoints in the 610 Custom Waypoint file, but have no clue how to solve this. I searched the internet, but no luck.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jan

35 minutes ago, jlfbos said:

When I download a Pocket Query and upload it to the 610, all caches are displayed on map of the 610 as Traditional Caches.

Are that the orange boxes? If so: you apparently downloaded the PQ's preview.

To do: Run the PQ, download the PQ and unzip it. Copy the two resulting GPX files to your unit.

Hans

So, just for clarification, ALL caches are being loaded to the GPS, but non-traditionals are showing up with the traditional cache icons? 

Or is it that only traditional caches are being shown and the non-traditional caches are not there? (in which case, check your geocache filters)

3 hours ago, jlfbos said:

I am struggling with geocache symbols on the Garmin Montana 610. Tried all kind of putting and naming Custom Waypoints in the 610 Custom Waypoint file, but have no clue how to solve this. I searched the internet, but no luck.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jan

Check the step-by-step custom waypoint symbol instructions at GPSrChive > Montana > Uber User > Custom Symbols

Edited by Atlas Cached

Custom symbols won't solve his problem if the GPS isn't differentiating between cache types. So we need to figure out the problem:

If it's that only traditional caches are being displayed, it could be a filter issue.
If other caches are there, but being displayed and treated as traditional caches, it's likely an export issue from iCaching. Though it could be something internal to the GPS causing problems too.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Mineral2 said:

Custom symbols won't solve his problem if the GPS isn't differentiating between cache types. 

The Montana will differentiate between cache types so long as the data is properly formatted when copied to the GPSr.

Until the OP gives us some more information, we likely will not be able to help resolve all their issues.