So much reading yet still have questions....

hikeNseek516

Sorry if these questions are covered elsewhere. I've been reading for 1.5hrs and still haven't figured out the answer to this question: I dropped a TB (my 2nd) about 600 miles from home and it's been picked up (yay!) but I didn't think to visit a local cache with it so the mileage log would start from where I live. is it possible to back log a visit so the total travel mileage includes the 600 miles?

#2: I purchased 2 TBs from this website. they are called Earth Cache Fossil Tags. Can these be used like regular TB tags or are they supposed to be related to Earth Caches? I liked them because I have a rockhound  TB theme. I've already dropped one. Hope that's ok....

#3: Geocoins - I also purchased an Earth Cache geocoin. From my reading, it seems these are mainly kept for collecting. I had intended to send it out as a TB - is that the wrong use for the coins?

Thanks in advance from a newbie cacher! ( since July 2018)

2 hours ago, hikeNseek516 said:

is it possible to back log a visit so the total travel mileage includes the 600 miles?

#2: I purchased 2 TBs from this website. they are called Earth Cache Fossil Tags. Can these be used like regular TB tags or are they supposed to be related to Earth Caches? I liked them because I have a rockhound  TB theme. I've already dropped one. Hope that's ok....

#3: Geocoins - I also purchased an Earth Cache geocoin. From my reading, it seems these are mainly kept for collecting. I had intended to send it out as a TB - is that the wrong use for the coins?

The only way I know is to contact the current holder, grab, visit, and have them grab it back again.

I feel the effort isn't worth a fake log. 

So you made an error.  Who hasn't ?  :)   Now you have more experience in next time.

You can do whatever you'd like with trackables you purchased.  I leave mine unactivated in caches I liked as swag. 

16 hours ago, hikeNseek516 said:

Sorry if these questions are covered elsewhere. I've been reading for 1.5hrs and still haven't figured out the answer to this question: I dropped a TB (my 2nd) about 600 miles from home and it's been picked up (yay!) but I didn't think to visit a local cache with it so the mileage log would start from where I live. is it possible to back log a visit so the total travel mileage includes the 600 miles?

Visit logs require the trackable to be in your Inventory.  That is why you'd need to go the  Grab / Visit / Grab back route that cerberus1 describes above.

For future reference, if a trackable is in your Inventory, then you can backdate visits without submitting new logs to a cache. You can simply go to your previous log on a cache, edit the log, select "visited" in the trackables section, and then submit the log. That will add a visit of that trackable to that cache on whatever date you logged the find.

You own the tag. You can give the tag whatever type of goal/mission you want, or no goal/mission at all.  The Fossil tag you purchased has no requirement upon purchase to stick with any cache type or theme. What you've done is completely okay.

You can send the geocoin out if you want to.  You own it, so it's up to you.  Many geocoins are collected and not sent out to travel because they disappear frequently.  Another option sometimes employed, which you could consider, is to put the tracking number on another object and send out that object instead.

• Helpful 1
16 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

The only way I know is to contact the current holder, grab, visit, and have them grab it back again.

I feel the effort isn't worth a fake log. 

You may decide it’s not worth the effort, but if you do go ahead, I wouldn’t lose any sleep over a ‘fake’ log.

My trackables are full of such logs - many post dated to before I had them, even more where the trackables were at home while I was at the cache, and one that’s dipped into my ‘home’ cache (i.e. the cache that I own about 400 m from home) after each trip abroad ... typically without me or the trackable visiting GZ.

I use them to track various aspects of my adventures - Mysteries, Earthcaches, Events, overseas caches, FTFs, ...  Completely for my own (sad?) entertainment.

I wouldn't call it a fake log anyway. If it was there, then it's just a missed log.  You could also try asking the current holding if they'd post a Visited log in one of your local caches. That might work, though it would be odd seeing a Visited log as the first log :P  There are ways to do it, which you choose is up to you. And as IceColdUK said, don't lose any sleep over it. It's not like these are smiley counts :ph34r:

If/when you get it back in your possession (if you don't do the grab/drop/grab method), you could post that first drop log then.

TB logs are pretty flexible. I've posted logs to correct mileage and deleted interact possession transfer logs afterwards to clearn it up, and there's no lasting effect on the TB.

2 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

I wouldn't call it a fake log anyway. If it was there, then it's just a missed log.

Yes, I agree that "missed" it the better term, not "fake", but I also agree that it's not worth worrying about. The OP learned a lesson, and the next time he can take the TB to a local cache and log the visit before taking it to wherever he decides to release it. Hopefully this TB will have a long and pleasant journey making those missing 600 miles seem insignificant.

• Upvote 1