[bugreport] new map broken in firefox

richlv

In an older version of Firefox, the new map (/play/map) is a blank page. Not sure whether related, but console shows:

mutating the [[Prototype]] of an object will cause your code to run very slowly; instead create the object with the correct initial [[Prototype]] value using Object.create    mapbox-gl.js:29:6520
SyntaxError: let is a reserved identifier    vendor.c8643ec5d6d1f0f96541.js:2:603822

The "old" map (/map) works.

• Helpful 1

But has Groundspeak published any system requirements for the latest map?

I'm still getting this, as reported earlier:

video-freak.jpg.b4ccef96cbc80b6f073101e3

It flashes and flickers.  Yesterday I saw upside-down text among the snow.  Must be what random memory inside a video card looks like.

Firefox Quantum 66.0.2 (64-bit), Linux Mint 19 with NoScript and Privacy Badger disabled for this test, everything webgl* at defaults in about:config.

I'm such an optimist.  I keep reporting these things.

5 hours ago, Viajero Perdido said:

But has Groundspeak published any system requirements for the latest map?

I'm still getting this, as reported earlier:

video-freak.jpg.b4ccef96cbc80b6f073101e3

It flashes and flickers.  Yesterday I saw upside-down text among the snow.  Must be what random memory inside a video card looks like.

Firefox Quantum 66.0.2 (64-bit), Linux Mint 19 with NoScript and Privacy Badger disabled for this test, everything webgl* at defaults in about:config.

I'm such an optimist.  I keep reporting these things.

I have linux mint 19.x running and the same version of the browser as you. No Issues at all. Can I suggest you start firefox in safe mode. If the issue has gone, restart the addons one by one. This could Identify if you have an addon issue.

Also try loading the same page in Chromium or Chrome, indeed in any other browser on the same machine to see if this goes away. Also, are you using Open source videos drivers? Have you checked to be sure that you have installed the correct/best driver for your card/chipset in the Control Panel?

Edited by DollyJelly
  • Helpful 1

Thanks for the debugging tips.  I'd been meaning to try those things anyway.  Restart FF in safe mode: totally blank screen; even the green banner disappears after a moment.  Other browser, nope, don't have any others installed on this hardware.

My video card is too old for NVidia proprietary driver support (option disappeared on upgrading to Mint 19), and my searching just now confirmed that, so I'm stuck with nouveau, the open-source driver - which works fine for everything but this map.

And since I have no use for this map, let's not worry about it, at least not for me, thanks.  Given my hardware is 14 years old now, and other things are starting to bit-decay as well (virtualization!), I'm shopping for a full upgrade.  :)

10 hours ago, Viajero Perdido said:

To all those having blank-screen problems with the new map...

If your browser fails this test: 

https://get.webgl.org/

... it's your fault.

Thanks for that - I was puzzled why the new map was showing up fine in Chrome at home but blank in Chrome at work.  I enabled WebGL but still can't see it.  Doesn't work in Microsoft Edge either, though at least in Edge I see the spinning cube I'm supposed to see when I visit https://get.webgl.org/

Fortunately I also have access to Firefox at work, and it appears to work fine in that, but I prefer using Chrome because of the easy access to cache page translations - helpful for 

I don't get to play with many browser settings as a mere user, so I may just have to bookmark the browse map for Chrome.

2 hours ago, Das Team said:

Is there any other way to get Geocaching Maps running or to get back the old map?

If you're "flying blind" (totally blank page), try removing "/play" from the url.  I think that'll take you to the original "Browse" map which uses stable technology.

~~~

Final straw for me.  Even though I don't care about this map, the writing's on the wall.  I'm upgrading my 14yo technology, and boosting the Chinese, Korean, Canadian, and (in a small way) US economies as a result.

Edited by Viajero Perdido