Tree climbing course in SE England

I am looking for a course on tree-climbing using ropes in SE England. I have found one on IoW or up North but nothing more local. I don't feel the need to do the 5-day Tree Climbing and Aerial Rescue course; that's just overkill. I just need a basic course so I can confidently climb a tree and grab a cache. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

I've heard good things about the Goodleaf course on the IOW, and I was going to do it myself several years ago but couldn't manage to find a suitable time in the end. I don't know of any other courses in the South. I reckon that for Geocaching the Aerial rescue would be overkill for a beginner.

AFAIK most of the tree climbing cachers (including me) learned "the ropes" by going out with other cachers rather than doing formal training, so might be worth trying to link up with someone and giving it a try - where are you based? .

If you do FaceBook there's a good group  "Extreme  Geocaching UK"  at https://www.facebook.com/groups/468089769912631/   which has some tree climbing cachers. There's also RTCUK (Recreational Tree Climbing UK) at https://www.facebook.com/groups/treeclimbinguk/?ref=bookmarks  which was created as an offshoot of the Extreme Geocaching UK group and is just about climbing trees and not caching, there's a lot of experience and advice available on there.

• Upvote 1

Agree with MartyBartfast,  a local group or a recreational tree climbing club might help.  

I take new cachers out sometimes, mostly one-on-one for safety. 

Usually a two-day, couple hour thing, or all day if they bring lunch.    ;)

We know some here in the states that will make "learning the ropes" an event at times too.

- We found that many forget what they learned, missing some important safety steps, often within a few weeks.

We aren't formal training.  

Some climbing gyms have vertical climb instruction too. 

I learned in the service, and I'd say that you may think it "overkill", but formal training helps to be sure you're caching again the next day.    :)