how do i return to the old map

2pods

tried that. It opened a table down the left side of the map but did not take me back to the old map. There used to be a "what's this" tab where the browse geocaches button now is. this would return you to the old map but it has now gone

Edited by 2pods

The only map that's "gone" is the one with the "Clear Search Results" button in the upper left corner, which merely plotted a search result on what is currently known as the "browse map". That view is now the more flexible Search Map (with the button to return to the browse map in the upper right corner).

7 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

The only map that's "gone" is the one with the "Clear Search Results" button in the upper left corner, which merely plotted a search result on what is currently known as the "browse map". That view is now the more flexible Search Map (with the button to return to the browse map in the upper right corner).

That's what a lot of us thought for months, but TPTB eventually clarified in one of the release note discussions that it was actually a different map (the "old search map").

Before yesterday, there were three maps:

• Browse map
  • Old search map (the one with "Clear search results")
  • New search map (the one with the list of caches and filters on the left side)

Yesterday, the "Old search map" was removed, with the "New search map" taking its place.

16 minutes ago, thebruce0 said:

Isn't that what I said? :P heh

"The only map that's "gone" is the one with the "Clear Search Results" button in the upper left corner "

I was just addressing the part of your post where you described the old search map as being built on the browse map. We were told that it wasn't and they were internally treated as distinct features.

6 minutes ago, The A-Team said:

I was just addressing the part of your post where you described the old search map as being built on the browse map. We were told that it wasn't and they were internally treated as distinct features.

Okay, yeah.

From our end though, that map functioned the same as the Browse map - the layering, the icons, the hover panels... The only difference, functionally, on the front end, was the Clear button in top left vs the sidebar with cache types to toggle.  Unfortunately I can't even remember which link went to that view - the Bookmark list page is now forced to the new style which takes Lists mapped to the Search map, and the PQ map preview goes to the PQ tab of the Browse map.  bah.

In any case, I took their meaning to be why the hid the sidebar on the "old" search map, in that the underlying framework of the map functionality was the same, but the way they display the cache results had to be different (the browse map has pre-determined layers, iirc, above certain zoom levels for the entire world -- as opposed to the version that is no longer available, which showed specific search results and nothing else, on the same mapping tiles, but without the cache icon layers).

Or in short, I didn't infer that everything about the "old search map" and "browse map" was different, only that there was a fundamental code set required to make the "old search map" do what it did, while using the underlying Browse map framework.

If that makes sense. ;P

In any case, there is no more plotting of search results on top of the Browse Map framework (distinct code set or not). I'd describe it as that they've now made these two map experiences completely and entirely distinct. Browse is now fully browse (worldwide, minimal low level filters, map tile selection method A) though still previewing PQ results, and Search is now fully Search (complex results, highly customizable, localized only, map tile selection method B).

In thinking about the PQ results being over the browse map framework, a PQ provides a specific list of GC's, predetermined, as opposed to applying filters inline to the map and performing the search live.   I'm guessing they were able to easily have the browse map receive the live/preview results of a PQ query because the PQ system is a separate set of code.  The new Search map sends the filters parameters directly to the database to perform the query.

Note that on the Browse map we don't get a worldwide view with the icon browse layer along with individually plotted icons. It's either the "Search" tab (which should technically be browse) and "Pocket Queries". Both over the same underlying map tiling system.

So the Browse Map doesn't do search parameters for queries like "Tell  me the icons within X distance to these coordinates with a D of 2.5 to 4 stars", but it can ask the PQ module "Tell me the icons to show for the preview results of PQ XYZ" and plot those.  It seems that would be a very foundational difference between the Browse and Search map frameworks and how they plot the cache icon layers over their respective map tiling systems.  The new Search map now has those parameters built in, and sits on a new underlying map tiling system (which could still use improvement; like more tile sources......)