Why the change in Premium trial length

Hi All,

Trying to get my son interested and requested a free trial for premium but was a bit shocked at the 7 days, having previously seen 30 day trials being handed out.

Just wondering if anyone can explain why the Premium trial has been cut from 30 days to 7?

Personally I think it is a little shortsighted as the trialee is being asked to shell out for premium after such a short period. Surely the aim is to hook lifetime members? If its for commercial reasons I doubt I will renew my own membership as we get enough of the powers that be trying to screw money out of us.

I have replied to the email but no response as yet.

Edited by Grizzly1302
6 hours ago, Grizzly1302 said:

Trying to get my son interested and requested a free trial for premium but was a bit shocked at the 7 days, having previously seen 30 day trials being handed out.

Just wondering if anyone can explain why the Premium trial has been cut from 30 days to 7?

Personally I think it is a little shortsighted as the trialee is being asked to shell out for premium after such a short period. Surely the aim is to hook lifetime members? If its for commercial reasons I doubt I will renew my own membership as we get enough of the powers that be trying to screw money out of us.

There was one heck-of-a-lot of month free trials given out when folks asked in the forums.  Now you need to ask at HQ.

I'd guess that there were enough temporary pms who didn't join afterwards that it was simply a losing deal to do it that way.

- Maybe you'll get a good answer from HQ soon.  :)

I don't believe the site lacks foresight in dropping a free gift from a month to a week... 

I feel that a week should be enough time for a basic member to see if a pm is worth it.   Many probably didn't go out every day of that month...

- I've dropped my pm a few times for various reasons.  Most due to changes in how I play this hobby, keeping it simple. 

How does one go about "hooking" lifetime members ?   They're doing something wrong.   :D

Don't feel "screwed"...  You do know that your son can log any pmo cache simply by going with you, right ?

No need for a pm , to find your son may not even be interested.   ;)

• Upvote 1

We know of only a few families that cache regularly and have kids with pms.

Most have a basic membership, and easily log "advanced" and pmo caches they did with parents (or another pm) just by using an alternate logging method.

- This has been allowed by the site as long as I can remember, (I feel) because this family-friendly site realizes that pm for all members would be too costly.

Most we know use geocaching admin.  Just type in the gc#, hit Go To and log.     :)

• Helpful 1
On 4/23/2019 at 10:52 AM, Grizzly1302 said:

Just don't forget to change the status of your PMO caches to non-PMO before giving up your Premium membership.  Seems that if TPTB really wanted to "screw money out of us", then they would've raised the price of premium at some point in the last 15+ years - but they haven't.

• Upvote 4
  • Funny 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1