Copies of geocoins in play

Luv2Hikex2

On several occasions I have found a copy of a geocoin in play. The passport for the trackable  clearly stated that it was a copy. I logged it and sent it on its way. Can this done with a coin from a collection that as never been put in play ?  Every coin that I have put in a cache seems to have disappeared, even though I state that it should be passed on to another cacahe. 

1 hour ago, Luv2Hikex2 said:

On several occasions I have found a copy of a geocoin in play. The passport for the trackable  clearly stated that it was a copy. I logged it and sent it on its way. Can this done with a coin from a collection that as never been put in play ?  Every coin that I have put in a cache seems to have disappeared, even though I state that it should be passed on to another cacahe. 

Sure.  It's becoming a more common practice as time goes on - we've seen many coins that have copy tags for this exact purpose.

3 hours ago, Luv2Hikex2 said:

On several occasions I have found a copy of a geocoin in play. The passport for the trackable  clearly stated that it was a copy. I logged it and sent it on its way. Can this done with a coin from a collection that as never been put in play ?  

Every coin that I have put in a cache seems to have disappeared, even though I state that it should be passed on to another cacahe. 

Yep.

if you want to just send out a code,  hold on to that nice coin and send out a proxy.    

The coin you plan to send out still needs to be activated to put the proxy in play.

Realize that what kind of proxy you create may affect movement.  Wooden nickels and poker chips are cheap...

- We had a series (now archived), and most of the ammo cans had at least one laminated paper scrap trackable code on the bottom with swag.

Crumpled up pieces of carp, looked like garbage really.  Something to consider.

You could mention prizes on the trackable's page, and there are some who'd never notice.   :)  

Most see this a lot where some end up, compared to where they were supposed to be headed in their goal.

I am always very disappointed when I find a proxy instead of a real coin, but I agree that some coins do disappear. But I feel that if I respect the owner enough to make an effort to move his/her coin, he/she should respect me enough by not sending just a piece of laminated paper around. 
When I let my coin go in the wild and it is one that I really like, I always buy two, so if it gets lost, I still have one in my collection. My experience is that coins move faster than TBs or lousy proxies. In my opinion, coins that are not very pretty are the most likely to reach their goals among all type of TBs. They are interesting enough to worth the effort of moving them, but not nice enough to keep.

• Upvote 1

I wish the other 2/3rds sent out proxies.  Lost over a dozen coins within weeks after release. 

- A couple hundred bucks wasted, really.   Could have given them to someone and at least made it worthwhile...

At the time there was a company named after their proxies, and a quality replacement could have gone out instead.

Most trackable enthusiasts we know want to find trackables for the unique icons, and a proxy would have been just fine.   :)

The ones who want to keep it as a coin/souvenir of their one weekend in the hobby might not have thought the same about a plastic version.

• Helpful 1

I have a number of coin in my collection that have never been in a cache. I used to buy coins regularly, but lost interest.

I have thought about sending them out, but really want to keep them.

Maybe a wooden proxy would be the best idea. It would get the numbers, and now rare icons, out in circulation without risking the actual coins.

Maybe I should play with my wood burning stuff again...

I started 3D printing items as a proxy with the code embossed into the bottom of the object. The plastic for the print only cost $0.25-$1.00 and the models look very nice.  They take about 2 to 4 hours to print... any larger and they start getting too big.

I included a picture of one I released with the code from a GeoCoin.

They might still go missing... but not as frequently as an original coin. 

The feedback from people who find them or see them at a meeting has been positive. 

DAK1999

C90F8002-DBF5-4345-9D14-C8366B54045E.jpeg

• Upvote 3