Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
browni

Organiser at event

There is an event near to us where the organiser can not now attend. Is it a requirement that the organiser must be present for the event to go ahead?

I've attended a few events where the CO was late enough that some attendees already left for home.  Still attended...

There's no need to sign a log for "proof" at events, but the guidelines do say, "The geocacher who owns the Event Cache page must attend the event in person".

I've missed my own events (mother had a heart attack... I went to the hospital, not my event venue.)

It's not something that a cacher ought to make a habit of,  and the intent is that the host attends and does hosting  - but it doesn't nullity the event.

Perhaps the host can offer the event to an adopter? it will pass through the adoption utility www.geocaching.com/adopt/ 

• Helpful 3

The original event host can adopt the Event to another cacher.  I've seen that done when the event host became unable to attend due to injury, so the event was adopted to another cacher that became the host.

If it's organised by a group, but only the 'Event Page' owner can't attend, surely it can still go ahead as others are there to greet attendees...?