How its possible?

2 hours ago, carlos1100xx said:

Mates, can you explain me how its possible a non premium member log a premium cache?

All my caches are premium, and sometimes I noticed that I have logs from non premium members, how did they do it?

Any member can log a pmo cache by using one of the back-door methods of logging.  Our friends use geocaching admin.

Basic members can't gain cache info,  merely log it found when with a premium member.

Not too long ago the site had a "PM special" for a weekend/week in a promotion, where basic members had a pm for a short time.  Don't remember if it was done before, but I'd think that's rare.

This enables children and other family members who have their own accounts to log those caches found with the family.  It's log only... 

- Would really suck to be a family of eight and have to buy eight PMs.  :)

When I used to do pmo caches, I'd often have a basic member with me.  I'm the one accessing the info for the cache, but they're logging it as found too.

- It's been that way long as I can remember.... 

Edited by cerberus1
explain...
  • Upvote 2
  • Helpful 2

I do all of the logging for my other half, whether for PMO caches or not.  She’s only found caches without me once (non-PMO, of course!), and I logged those on her behalf.  It’s highly unlikely that she will ever become a PM herself.  To be honest, she wouldn’t be devestated if her account were to go altogether, but I do like to see her finds recorded separately.

It wouldn’t be the end of the world but I, for one, would be disappointed to see this functionality for Basic members disappear.  And I’ll go further: I know this hasn’t changed since the mists of time, but the way it’s referenced (and implemented) as a “backdoor” approach, concerns me.  My inference is that backdoors are likely to be closed.  Why can’t this be more transparent?

1 hour ago, Isonzo Karst said:

The site itself makes no mention of "backdoor". It's always been possible to log any cache using its GCCode.  

https://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?wp=GCCODE

That may be true, but where in the Help Center is this explained, or even mentioned?  (Tbh, I find it difficult to find anything in the Help Center!)

Edited by IceColdUK
  • Helpful 1
49 minutes ago, Isonzo Karst said:

The site itself makes no mention of "backdoor". It's always been possible to log any cache using its GCCode.  

https://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?wp=GCCODE

There is even more to it: non-premium members see on 'Recently Viewed Caches' list a 'Log It' link with 'https://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?ID=<cache_id>' address. Whereas on the page itself the link is blocked locally, the same address opened in browser's separate tab or window works without restrictions. All it takes is to choose 'Open link in a new card/window' from the link context menu.

• Helpful 2
9 minutes ago, rapotek said:

non-premium members see on 'Recently Viewed Caches' list a 'Log It' link with 'https://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?ID=<cache_id>'

I'll be darned, I did not know that. I logged into my Basic Account, and looked  at some PMO caches owned by Isonzo Karst. The pages themselves are just the PMO upgrade sell.

But you're right, now on the recently viewed caches list are those caches, with logging links ;-) 

recently viewed PMO by basic.jpg

2 hours ago, joesdolphins said:

Very simple let’s say my daughter goes caching with me we log the cache found with the gps. After I log my geocache visits I sign into her non premium account and load the same geocache visits file. She can’t view the premium cache but she can log it that way.

Yes,  That's what I did with my late caching partner.  No need for both of us to be premium.

• Upvote 1