Four Kings Post Boxes

Hopefully, officers of Victorian Letterboxers and/or Four Kings Post Boxes will stop here to read our comments. 

First topic, do most readers of this forum wish to have the Victorian Post Boxes category expanded from only those post boxes created between 1837-1901 to include post boxes created up until 1952, effectively combining the two groups/categories?

Second topic, do most readers of this forum wish to have the Four Kings Post Boxes category (and/or the Victorian Post Boxes category) geographically expanded to include British post boxes which exist beyond the borders of the United Kingdom?  Us waymarkers in the former British Empire might then have a chance of Waymarking these interesting objects.

Many readers of this forum provided brief comments during the recent Peer Review of that category.  However, there was no indepth discussion about the potential catgeory before it went to Peer Review.  Only the three officers of that category had considered the potential of that category.

On 4/24/2019 at 2:23 PM, elyob said:

First topic, do most readers of this forum wish to have the Victorian Post Boxes category expanded from only those post boxes created between 1837-1901 to include post boxes created up until 1952, effectively combining the two groups/categories?

Second topic, do most readers of this forum wish to have the Four Kings Post Boxes category (and/or the Victorian Post Boxes category) geographically expanded to include British post boxes which exist beyond the borders of the United Kingdom?  Us waymarkers in the former British Empire might then have a chance of Waymarking these interesting objects.

I'll submit two yesses!!! If it might increase our chances of snagging one I'd be silly to reply in any way but positive!

Keith

I would also like to see other historic and iconic mailboxes included. (I know, the actual definition of that might be a challenge, but maybe worth it.) There must be more that could deserve a waymark in various countries not related to the British Empire.

In my hometown we have six left that were casted in 1845 and designed by the same artist who created the world's first multi-color stamp in that very year. Not worse that Victorian, I guess.

Sadly this category has been denied.  One possible reason is that I did not know of the forums at the time I was trying to define the category details and therefore did not access the group experience that would have provided.

There was no intention to restrict this to the UK (as has been criticised about Victorian boxes),  perhaps I should have made this plainer in the description.  There could well be many suitable boxes in countries with some involvement with the British Commonwealth.  Not sure it would be possible to expand to other countries than those though as it would be difficult to pin the date to the required half century.

Is there any way to redraft the definition to be clearer than my original?  And if so could it ever be re-reviewed?

John (of The Senior Crabbes)

• Upvote 1

This is a good idea, but accordind to me prevalence and global criteria are not met.

Historical british post boxes already have a category but not the same historical period, and it's difficult to imagine a new category for each historical period focus on post boxes. It's my opinion.

I think you have 3 possibilities :

- Just expand the same idea to british commonwealth and see what will happen in peer review, why not

- Ask Victorian Post boxes officers to expand their category to your idea, but they have the right to decline

- Take in account FI67 idea and create a Historical Post boxes category, difficult to be comprehensive but interesting.

This discussion is interesting https://forums.geocaching.com/GC/index.php?/topic/342704-knights-of-malta-hospitallers/

At the beginning it was an idea only for knights-of-malta-hospitallers less prevalent and global, and at the end it's for all kind of Chivalric orders

That is why it's always better to argue first in the forum to improve your idea.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

In the previous comment Alfouine suggested "Just expand the same idea to british commonwealth and see what will happen in peer review, why not".

This was what was intended (as one who only waymarks in the Uk I hadn't realised that the Victorians were more restrictive) and I'm sure there must be relevant boxes in many Commonwealth countries and even possibly the odd one in Eire.

Is it possible to update a proposed category and to resubmit it to review or does one have to create a new one with a slightly different title?

All  suggestions welcomed

I suspect that you could just update and resubmit.  However, perhaps you should make the category as fresh as possible.  ALL those who 'voted against' the category will want to see something worth 'voting for'  in the next peer review.  Carefully consider all of the critique from the recent peer review.

Have you considered the idea of contact with the officers of Victorian Post Boxes, expanding that category's scope in time and in place?

• Upvote 1

Expanding the category explicitly to the British Commonwealth will bring you a few votes. Mainly from Canada and Australia. But this will not be enough. What do you have to offer to the majority outside those countries? You have no chance without votes from the US, Germany, France, Czechia…

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, BK-Hunters said:

... and Switzerland. :)

Keith

Well, yes, but the small countries with only one active waymarker do not really count.? I guess Portugal and the Netherlands would be about the next ones in the list.

There are over 200 waymark categories that refer to only one country, one state/county within one country or even just one road. Hence I don't see why those who have them to look at would complain if someone else wanted to have a regional category - after all there has just last year a Belgium Monument Registers one was added, and that's very local.

John

• Upvote 2

In the beginning, the community played nice and welcomed any category, now matter what it was. But soon it became clear that creating a gazillion of narrow special-interest categories would kill the game. And geographic limitation was identified as one of the major problems.

All the categories that were active before, have remained, but you cannot reference to them. They would not be approved today.

But the most confusing part for newbies are the exceptions. When this happened, we already had some limited categories and although most of them were problematic, some were very successful. So successful, that it was even considered best practice to create state or country specific categories within this group. Less submissions in a single category and officers who were familiar with the local circumstances, language, history, legislation etc.

So we have a large but well defined group of categories that look (and are) very regional but are considered exceptions. Still today, it is no problem to create a country specific category, as long as it does not exist yet and does belong to one of the following fields: Post offices, benchmarks/trigpoints, national heritage or monument registers, and finally historical markers (but there's the catch-all Signs of History that prevents new categories).

Without the defined exceptions, how many country specific categories are left? And how old are they?

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1