How can I measure going in X degrees X meters

SheepBoi

So many mystery caches I've seen have an instruction like "Go from the posted coordinates 100 meters in 97° (degrees)." So how can I see where to go on my Android phone?

My English is pretty bad, I am not a native English speaker. I also wrote this on mobile. Sorry for possible typos.

Still, thanks already!

You can install some compass application to measure current degrees, if your phone has a compass device available, but I prefer to use GCC application with its Coordinates -> Projection tool. There I enter the source coordinates, desired distance and bearing and in result I receive target coordinates. I suppose there are more applications having even better tools available.

• Helpful 1

I'm sure there are many apps which can do this, but I'd suggest a website.

GC toolbox has loads of helpful online tools, including this which will calculate a new set of projected co-ordinates for you , all you do is copy/paste (or type) your starting co-ords, specify distance and angle, and it calculates co-ords for the projected point. No download or log in needed, so good if you don't need it often .

18 minutes ago, Viajero Perdido said:

Like GPS units, some caching apps have this functionality built in. Locus Map does.

Yep. Most of the Android geocaching apps I've used have had the ability to do projections.

I've also done quite a few by simply pacing off the distance while walking in the direction indicated. But I learned to do compass courses years ago, back when I was a boy scout.

The official app has this capability.

This is for the Android version. Don't know about the IOS version.

From the "Navigate" display, where you see the distance to your cache, tap the little compass in the top bar - this brings up the big compass display.

If you have to go, for example, 500 feet at 90 degrees, go EAST until it shows you at 500 feet, at the direction's OPPOSITE, or 'reciprocal'.

So, if you have to go 90 degrees, saunter east until it tells you that your source cache is 500 feet at 270 degrees.

This is how the app handles projections! You can set a waypoint if you're not at a cache and navigate from that point.