Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
laurenb71111

do I have to put a trackable in a geocache?

I'm a new geocacher… well sort of. I used to go with my aunt and cousin a lot before I moved when I was younger, but we never put a tracker in and we never saw any trackers in the geocaches. I'm just making sure that over the 3 years that I've moved the rules haven't changed. please inform me on these rules.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, laurenb71111 said:

please inform me on these rules.

Guidelines concerning trackables remain the same.

Trackables should travel from cache to cache or taken to Events where they can be Discovered also.

Some trackables have designed missions, so it is good etiquette to try to help them achieve those missions, when possible.

Exceptions are you own trackables, collection geocoins etc. Their yours, you decide. :)

Edited by RuideAlmeida

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, laurenb71111 said:

I'm a new geocacher… well sort of. I used to go with my aunt and cousin a lot before I moved when I was younger, but we never put a tracker in and we never saw any trackers in the geocaches. I'm just making sure that over the 3 years that I've moved the rules haven't changed. please inform me on these rules.

That is the basic plan.  Retrieve a trackable item from a Geocache, place it into another one.  There are online logs to make when you do that, plus paper logs in the caches.

But also look at the item's mission.  There are many creative missions, especially with trackables that can't fit inside the usual cache container.  Two of mine have permission to be carried around, without actually being placed into a cache, with an express condition:  "For this particular Trackable, Visits or Took It To logs are acceptable on the condition that they include plenty of cool photos and stories of its adventures."

And if it's a trackable that you bought and own, there's no requirement to "activate" it at all.  You don't have to put it into play, if you don't intend that it be logged.

Edited by kunarion

18 hours ago, laurenb71111 said:

In case you forgot the basics,  everything you wanted to know about Trackables.   :)

Nope, nothing has changed in three years other than an automated system is  used once-in-a-while to "square away" (remove from play) trackables that haven't been logged correctly for some time.