Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
kristip17

Words as coordinate hints

For the life of me I can't figure out how a word clue for a coordinate number can translate into a single digit. For instance, at stage one of a recent multi-cache the coordinates for A and B are easy to find numbers referenced from a sign. But the answer to the hint for coordinate C is a word, and I don't know what to do with it. Counting the number of letters is all I can think of, but that doesn't seem to work for the checksum. And another word hint had eleven letters for a single digit coordinate. I don't have any geocaching friends, and have found more than 100 (mostly traditional) caches by myself but I can't figure out how to change a word to a coordinate. Help!

Not allowed to help solve puzzles here.  One recommendation -- ask the CO for a hint.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ecanderson said:

Not allowed to help solve puzzles here.  One recommendation -- ask the CO for a hint.

This is a Multi and I’m guessing it’s not intended to be a “puzzle”, just something  that the OP hasn’t seen much of before.

I’d be interested to see the GC code before saying we can’t help.

(That said, asking the CO for a hint is still good advice.)

I'm not helping with the puzzle, but I recommend to search the internet for something like  "converting letters to numbers", there are many sites where you get an idea of what needs to be done.

Good luck.

3 hours ago, kristip17 said:

For the life of me I can't figure out how a word clue for a coordinate number can translate into a single digit.

There are so many methods available that the answer should be obvious or there must be some way to verify that you have got the right answer because otherwise, the result is just guessing. For a multi-cache, the task should be something simple enough to handle on the field. I suggest you ask a hint from the cache owner.

In the same situation, I would check all 10 possible coordinates whether any of them are impossible or most probable places for the next stage.

Look up 'digital root' - a common way to turn words into numbers..... also consider using the value of the first letter maybe?

2 hours ago, lee737 said:

Look up 'digital root' - a common way to turn words into numbers..... also consider using the value of the first letter maybe?

May be common in mystery caches but I wouldn't use it in a multi-caches. Normally the correct method is explained in the cache description if the method is not obvious.

Could be wordplay of some sort, like a number associated with the word (but it might be an obscure association).  For example, Bond = 7; Ruth = 3, Jackson = 5; Phillips = 66, etc.)