Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
EdenRike

What exactly is a Pocket Query

What is a Pocket Query?

I joined Geocaching around about 2017 but found my first with a family relative. 

For the past few years, I have heard of what a Pocket Query but never actually found out what it is.

Does anyone here have a different explanation than the one on Geocaching.com 

Thank you in advance!

It's a search function that premium members can use to filter through the 3,000,000-odd caches to get a custom result, for example, all the letterbox caches in Delaware, or all the 5-star terrain caches within a certain radius, or all the caches off a particular bookmark list.  Premium members can configure the pocket query tool to deliver a selection of up to 1,000 caches, in the form of a ZIP file containing caches and waypoints in combined GPX files that a GPSr can read.

It was derived back in the day to make caching with a GPSr easier, but pocket queries can also be saved to one's phone using the official app for offline use, if no cell data is available when you're out and about.

• Helpful 1

Should also add: the pocket query is the search tool, the GPX file is the (potential) end result. 

You can preview the results of a pocket query search in a list or see them displayed in a map, either of which can help you fine tune the results to get you what you're looking for. 

Once you have the PQ that works for you, then ultimately you can choose to download the searchr esults in the big GPX fil, but it's not automatic..

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, hzoi said:

It's a search function that premium members can use to filter through the 3,000,000-odd caches to get a custom result, for example, all the letterbox caches in Delaware, or all the 5-star terrain caches within a certain radius, or all the caches off a particular bookmark list.  Premium members can configure the pocket query tool to deliver a selection of up to 1,000 caches, in the form of a ZIP file containing caches and waypoints in combined GPX files that a GPSr can read.

It was derived back in the day to make caching with a GPSr easier, but pocket queries can also be saved to one's phone using the official app for offline use, if no cell data is available when you're out and about.

Thank you for your quick reply you guys look like an amazing happy family!

Just one quick question. Is there any way a Basic Member could complete or create a Pocket Query?

Thank you in advance!

1 minute ago, hzoi said:

Should also add: the pocket query is the search tool, the GPX file is the (potential) end result. 

You can preview the results of a pocket query search in a list or see them displayed in a map, either of which can help you fine tune the results to get you what you're looking for. 

Once you have the PQ that works for you, then ultimately you can choose to download the searchr esults in the big GPX fil, but it's not automatic..

Thank you for that quick reply!

While we are on this topic. Do you know any good GPX reader application for mobile *iOS or Android? I, unfortunately, do not own a GPS (as in a dedicated GPS [handheld])

*My platform of use

Just now, EdenRike said:

Is there any way a Basic Member could complete or create a Pocket Query?

No, it's a premium member function.

Using the search page, and its advanced filters option, you can get some pretty specific results.  You won't be able to download them in bulk like a pocket query, though, or add them to a bookmark list, as both are premium member functions.  I've almost only been a premium member since we started in 2007, so I will have to leave it to someone who has basic membership to let you know how you can best use the site to your advantage.

1 minute ago, EdenRike said:

you guys look like an amazing happy family!

Aw, thanks.  We get by.  :)

3 minutes ago, EdenRike said:

Do you know any good GPX reader application for mobile *iOS or Android?

I hear GDAK is good.  I have never used it, someone else will need to chime in.

3 hours ago, EdenRike said:

What is a Pocket Query?

I joined Geocaching around about 2017 but found my first with a family relative. 

For the past few years, I have heard of what a Pocket Query but never actually found out what it is.

Does anyone here have a different explanation than the one on Geocaching.com 

Thank you in advance!

A pocket query consists of three parts.

1.  There is a search page on which one can enter search criteria which will return a list of caches.  One unique aspect of the search page (not available on the main search page) is that one can filter caches based on the existence of specific attributes.  For example, only return a list of caches with the "boat required" attribute.   The PQ page also allows filtering by date placed range.

2.  Once search criteria has been created the query can be saved and scheduled to be re-executed periodically (e.g. every Friday).  A premium member can create up to 1000 queries and have up to 10 execute per day.   A user may also run a "My Finds" query,  which will include a list of all caches that the user has found (including caches which have been archived).  The MyFinds query results are used for generating statistics. 

3.  The results of each executed query is encapsulated as a "zip" file containing two GPX files (a standard format for describing waypoints).  One of the GPX files contains the list of caches, and the other includes any additional waypoints for those caches.   The PQ system includes a page which provides a link for downloading the results and also sends and email notification when new results are available.  

For many geocachers, the Pocket Query system is considered to be the primary reason one might choose to register (and pay) as a premium member.  

25 minutes ago, hzoi said:

I hear GDAK is good.  I have never used it, someone else will need to chime in.

GDAK (Android) is great especially in combination with GSAK (Windows). GDAK works with GSAK databases (there's a macro to copy GSAK databases to GDAK). It will also use the cache images.

I cache with a PS (Oregon 600) but always carry my tablet with GDAK to have a map overview, occasional refresh a cache "in the field", read more logs (I just have the 30 most recent on the GPS), and, on holiday, I log via API. I can also load caches from GDAK onto the GPS.

• Helpful 1

First, you can see a pretty good step by step instruction on how to make and download PQs here

As NYPaddleCacher has very nicely explained,  the term PQ is confusingly used for both the request for caches you set and the file that gets output as a result of your request.

A key feature for me of the PQ request is that you can make one and schedule it  to repeat automatically, which is very handy , for example so you can weekly (or whenever)  update the unfound caches in your local area to take notice of new additions, archiving, temporary disablement, and recent logs. You can build and delete requests whithout breaking anything, just have a play around and try it  out.

I use GDAK as a back-up database on a (slightly) smart android  'phone and used to run it on an android tablet too. It is quite simple to use, not a space hog, runs fine offline (and with minimal annoying adverts if you are online) . A particular advantage is that you can have several  databases, so for example I have a default one for unfound caches within a radius of 60km around home, and another with only puzzles I've solved (any distance) so I can target those easily   I started using GDAK years ago, and the only hassle I recall was trying to link it to the offline mapping I already had installed.

A lot of the time if I'm heading out by car I'll find my cache target in GDAK , go to the compass screen, tap the 3 dots top right, select 'navigate' and the chosen cache location is set as the destination in my navigation app.which automatically pops up, and I'm ready to set off.