GARMIN GPS

JRMGSJ

I just purchased a Garmin 66ST, how do I best utilize my GPS for Geocashing?

how do i connect my GPS with Geocashing?

looks like it gives me a code to type in... but i can't find where to type it in on the website

Edited by JRMGSJ
want to see replies

If your new Garmin is like my older Oregon450, you use the usb cord and attach it to your computer. You can then transfer files like a pocket query of cache data to the GPX folder on the gps.

You do not need a code to access the Geocaching website; not sure what you mean by that.

Have you checked for an owners manual or looked on the Garmin website for instructions?

6 hours ago, coman123 said:

You have to have Garmin Connect on your smart phone, then through bluetooth or a wifi connection sync your 66st to your phone to get live updates on caches

The 66st can connect directly to a wifi network without needing a smartphone's help. Well, unless the wifi is a captive network like the big chain coffee place. That approach is pretty clumsy, though, because it only loads "nearby" caches, and it's not very easy to pick where the center of the "nearby" area. So PQs copied via usb wire is the way I normally load caches into mine.

I don't know what the code is the OP is talking about, but I seem to remember something like that in order to get garmin express to accept the GPSr -- or was it vice versa? -- so maybe that's it.

Actually, I have found that I can get online directly at the Big Chain Coffee shop. My iPad would have to load the login screen before being allowed online, but the 66s gets right on. There are other options like search near or search by GC code, or my personal favorite, loading a pocket query using geocaching live! I don't usually use these methods, but if I'm on the road and want to load, say, my unfound caches query, it's nice.

Garmin Connect required entry of a code displayed on the 66s, I believe, in the Connect app.