Translation

covenhag

I did a Rhine, Main & Danube cruise last year. Some will have English descriptions, some wont. I didn't worry about translations - just followed the coordinates. The exception could be non Traditionals. As we had limited time during off ship tours we skipped those except for a few virtuals,  many of them were rather complex and/or lengthy so we just chose the quick ones.

If you're a GSAK user, there is a translate macro that will do machine translation of the description before you transfer caches to your GPSr.  I've not used it, but it gets good feedback.

I live in Germany but don't speak much German, though my reading comprehension for caches has gotten pretty good.  I have the Google translate app on my phone and have downloaded several language packs for offline use.  This lets you highlight text in any application, be it a browser or a geocaching app, and then translate it.  I'll see if I can get some screen caps for illustration.

Google Chrome also offers translation for web pages, though if your chosen language on geocaching.com is English, I find this throws off the in-browser translation, such that sometimes it offers to translate and sometimes it doesn't.

(If you're not getting a European sim card or paying your cell provider for an international data plan, you're going to want to look into saving caches for offline use in the app you primarily use.)

Edited by hzoi

First three screen caps show how the Google translate app works.  (At least on an Android phone.)

1.  Highlight text, the bar will pop up with options.  Hit the three dots at the right.

2.  A little menu pops up - hit translate.

3.  Another window will pop up with the original and translated text; it's small so you'll have to scroll.

cap3.thumb.jpg.d0b7e868804b3b0f7c1ad9ca3025b89e.jpg  cap4.thumb.jpg.61b3f21b55e81a48658c638f111ed0e2.jpg  cap5.thumb.jpg.985a144d3fceea6800bd600c9d206465.jpg

If using Chrome and the browser recognizes that most of the page is in a foreign language, it may offer to translate it for you.

cap1.thumb.jpg.e3f27de09d8502b0c2380450e3496982.jpg cap2.thumb.jpg.1c30d81e84a0ceb371b450ee14168bc2.jpg

1 hour ago, hzoi said:

If using Chrome and the browser recognizes that most of the page is in a foreign language, it may offer to translate it for you.

You can just paste the URL in GT too.

Easiest is to prepare. When using GSAK get caches for the places you visit, use the translate macro if needed. Most traditionals will need no translation but recognizing a few keywords in the foreign language may come in handy (tree, pole, stone, hole, underneath...)

When exporting to most GPS's from GSAK you have the translation handy. Using Android GDAK may come in handy. Written for offline use (caches, maps...)it also works online (get a EU SIM) and is an API partner. There's a macro in GSAK to transfer the database to the cloud (or USB....) so you have all GSAK data in GDAK.

Worst case: prepare and print translated questions/info of wanted caches in advance.

5 minutes ago, on4bam said:

Worst case: prepare and print translated questions/info of wanted caches in advance.

Pretty much how I did most of my caching for the first two years we were here (2007-2009, before we had smart phones or even a GPSr that supported paperless caching - the Garmin 60CSx was great but retained very limited info).  Pick a few caches in an area, get an online translation, write down the important details, and go from there.

On 4/15/2019 at 7:34 PM, covenhag said:

I'm taking a river cruise that takes me through Germany, France and Switzerland.  How do I search for caches that are in English or translate nearby ones that are in a different language?

Gee, what a coincidence. We're also taking a Viking river cruise but going from Switzerland to Amsterdam in July . Seems we both have the same concerns.