Sign in to follow this  
Followers 7
Geocaching HQ

Pre-Release Notes (Website: Existing Search Map Retirement) - April 15, 2019

There's something wrong here:

First is the view (but zoomed in a bit)  with the Browse Map and My Finds deselected

Second  is the View with the search map, the only option I have selected is "Not Found", everything else has all types, all D/T all sizes/ and no other restrictions;  but as you can see it is only returning Trads, and all the Mysteries have disappeared, and it has also dropped my three owned caches.

image.thumb.png.c90524da7523f4f72305b9ecb7694e38.png and you can see there are LOADS of Mystery caches, which aren't displayed on the Search map.

image.png

Edited by MartyBartfast

1 hour ago, Keystone said:

You do realize that you're replying to someone who has 14 times as many geocache finds as you do?

Not sure what that has to do with having an opinion as to how they'd like the website to function.  Hynz has been a member for 5 more years than the person he was replying to so definitely not a newb.

Edited by icezebra11
  • Upvote 4

15 hours ago, MrGigabyte said:

This is what I see. Not Found filter set (and have hit "Done"), yet what is returned are my FInds.

caches.jpg.jpg

It seems this is only occurring for some users, not all. We have filed a bug for this and are looking into this issue. 

• Helpful 1

Another "bug".

I just went to map some lists  from the My Lists page, and this is what I get (the search results are that little cluster in the top left over the UK), though on another list I get a similar map but with the cluster over the UK over on the top right - either way it's wrong as the map should be centred on the centre of the list and zoomed in to a reasonable level such that all results are within the display.

BTW all caches on these lists are within the UK, there are no outliers in far flung countries.

image.thumb.png.f396abc68ba39b38b3df100c78827139.png

1 hour ago, MartyBartfast said:

Another "bug".

I just went to map some lists  from the My Lists page, and this is what I get (the search results are that little cluster in the top left over the UK), though on another list I get a similar map but with the cluster over the UK over on the top right - either way it's wrong as the map should be centred on the centre of the list and zoomed in to a reasonable level such that all results are within the display.

BTW all caches on these lists are within the UK, there are no outliers in far flung countries.

I've seen similar, when mapping a list I get a much wider map view than what is contained in the list.  It doesn't happen every time, with every list.

I can't confirm this weird zoom behaviour. My lists always zoom in pretty well:

16bf81dcd9cb7c4945446b05f8a233f7.png

Hans

7 hours ago, Keystone said:

There is also an HQ team dedicated to obtaining input and feedback from "regular" users through surveys, in-person meetings, the "User Insights" forum, etc.

Speaking of that any news about the surveys about quality we did twice last year?

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Hynz said:

The linked blog article from Jannuary (admittedly without mentioning a "browse map") states:

You can switch back and forth between the old and the new for awhile if you need to, but eventually the move to the new search map will be permanent.

I probably can live with an additional click to reach the map which to me and most of participants in this thread consider the at least equally important one but it would really hurt to switch it off before the new map is capable of truly "browsing" the map.

I think, and I hope, that the "old" they are referring to is the old search plotting map, not the Browse map. There is no 'new' browse map.  The new map is the new Search map.  If that's the case, then I hope, and expect, the Browse Map to remain indefinitely (no retiring plans seem to have been announced that I can recall).

This is why the functional use of these various views needs to be made absolutely clear by HQ. There's still far too much confusion...  Even though the first post explicitly describes the New Search Map, Old Search Map, and Browse Map.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The A-Team said:
  • There are a number of contrast issues. The main one is the continued use of low-contrast, faded grey text which started infecting the site in other places a few years ago. Also, the FP heart should be filled and coloured to match the rest of the site and apps (#consistency), and the unfilled boxes for the D/T/size are painfully faint even on a good monitor. As I was typing this, I also noticed that the "Download GPX" icon and text appear to be grey rather than black like the items on either side of it (#consistency again).

Yep, I was hoping that would've been fixed in the past 3 months, but yet "Download GPX" is still greyed-out. Greyed-out selections usually mean 'not available'. Not sure what it's supposed to mean here. What would be the reason for having that in grey, while other text is black.

Of course, I'm also disappointed that the Cache Status selections are still unchanged as well.  If no options are selected, then that means both are selected. But in other sections, like cache Type, each option has to be selected to be applied. I don't see how that is intuitive at all.

I also still find a lack of consistency with the filter selections. Check boxes for cache Type, fill boxes for cache Size, etc.  GeoTour selection is barely noticeable and would be more prominent if it was like the corrected coordinates section - indicate either on or off. Not the current slider that is barely even discernible whether it's yes or no.

2 hours ago, The A-Team said:
  • The "Placed by" item should be near the cache's name, not buried farther down. Combined with the first point above, the items at the top should be the cache name, GC code, placed by, and placed date.
  • The "Placed by" item should be a hyperlink to the CO's profile.
  • It's been mentioned before and is worth mentioning again: the cache type should be depicted by an icon, not text, in the selected-cache side bar. Reading text isn't nearly as fast to scan over as an easily-identifiable icon. If you really want the text, then have both an icon and text.

Agreed with all of this, and really all of The A-Team's post.

• Upvote 1

When using this search

https://www.geocaching.com/play/map?lat=60.99505489265425&lng=25.704549999999927&zoom=11&asc=true&sort=distance&st=60.99472865018004%2C25.704549605624607

the result is this

Clipboard01.thumb.jpg.a97bce093855311906fe08f51aefcc0f.jpg

This is not a new problem but it will be more a problem when all searches ends up to this kind of results. All caches in this image are under 3 miles from the coordinates but the visible area is unnecessarily 25 miles tall.

6 hours ago, arisoft said:

Ah-ha! Firefox 66.03 gives me a map nicely fitted around the caches. When I looked carefully, I realized my map is the same as yours, but I see more caches than you do. I'm set to 1000 caches, so they filled my map. I see you're still set to only 500 caches. My guess is that the map is sized for the maximum caches, but then it turns around and only shows the 500 caches you've asked for, hence the clustering in the center of an otherwise empty map.

The number of caches is 250 only, as it says on the top left corner, "Select all 250". Zooming level should be mached to visible caches. :)

2 hours ago, arisoft said:

The number of caches is 250 only, as it says on the top left corner, "Select all 250". Zooming level should be mached to visible caches. :)

Oh, yeah. I misread it. Little text, old eyes! Anyway, 1/4 fewer caches makes it even more plausible.

Yep, I agree 100% this is simply a bug.