Pre-Release Notes (Website: Existing Search Map Retirement) - April 15, 2019

Pre-Release Notes (Website: Existing Search Map Retirement) - April 15, 2019

For the past several months, we’ve been hard at work improving the Search map on Geocaching.com.  We’ve listened to your feedback and made continuous updates during this time. For reference, here’s the blog post that announced the new Search map and explained our intent to retire the existing, old Search map. We hope the new Search map will be a powerful tool for planning your Geocaching adventures.

We are now ready to announce the retirement of the old Search map on April 25, 2019. This provides nearly two weeks to prepare for the retirement of the old Search map.

As a reminder, we are only removing the old Search map, which looks very similar to what we call the Browse map. The Search map is what you land on after performing any type of search. The Browse map is what you see today when you click “View Larger Map” on the cache details page, or when you select “Play” > “View Map” from the website header menu. (Those methods are changing. More on that in a minute.) The new Search map and the Browse map will still be available after the old Search map is retired. 

We understand there are cases when you don’t have a specific location in mind and are just interested in browsing the map. We heard you and will be adding an easy way to access the Browse map from the new Search map and vice versa - to provide a quick way to move between experiences.

For visual reference, here is what we mean when we say, “new Search map”, “old Search map”, and “Browse map”:

New Search map (Visit the New Search map here if you haven’t had a chance to use it yet):

6_sms-BGEJaDWAysE5Bqi8a9jp4r7kOtZ6hwibd_

Old Search map (Retiring April 25):

MJbAAKyu0XwwYH3Azyi2Ap_k3v3Ha_-hH3ZJRg3e

Browse map (Will be accessible with a toggle from the new Search map as of April 25).

7VZZ_AdL7vYvFGjK1rrF3H7POubO2YKsp7v2sy9-

On April 25, when you perform ANY of the following, you will be directed to the new Search map, not the old Search map :

• From the logged-in home page, perform a Search and map your results.
  • From the logged-in home page, click “Geocaching Map”.
  • From the website header menu, select “Play” > “View Map”.
  • Navigate to the Cache Details Page and scroll down and click “View Larger Map”.

-vDSmxonrr_eKZBZSGbxmfzbRNyAqZg3U5Pwsp_k

With this update, when you select “View Larger Map” from the Cache Details Page: 

• The new Search map will open and the cache will display as a highlighted pin.
  • The Cache Details preview pane will open. 

This will be new functionality that is not currently available when viewing the larger map from the Cache Details Page.

xB6oPhY444g8d7Hr3oA1bjxH7bx8p65oqEYRWH8n

We will also remove the existing “Welcome to the new map. What’s this?” link, as all users will be defaulted to the new Search map, with the ability to toggle to the Browse map.

iRnjWeAsYa82sumTvTLCFOdngcQenkstiQkQldPY

In summary, beginning April 25, the experience for all users will be:

• You will be directed to the new Search map from the following places:
    • From the logged-in home page, perform a Search and map your results.
    • From the logged-in home page, click “Geocaching Map”.
    • From the website header menu, select “Play” > “View Map”.
    • Navigate to the Cache Details Page and scroll down and click the “View Larger Map”.
  • From Cache Details pages, when selecting “View Larger Map”, the cache will display with a highlighted pin and the Cache Details Preview pane will open, on the new Search map. 
  • You will be able to access the Browse map from the new Search map (via a yet to be delivered mechanism). You will also be able to access the new Search map from the Browse map with this same mechanism. 
  • The existing “Welcome to the new map. What’s this?” link will be removed from the new Search map. 

Hear more about this project on the Inside Geocaching HQ podcast.

Brendan W. (brendanjw), Senior Product Manager, is watching this thread to answer questions whenever possible.

Any posts in this thread should relate to features in this upcoming release. Comments unrelated to the release may be removed. Please direct unrelated comments to other appropriate threads. Thanks!

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

Well laid out, and thanks for the advance notice.

The new landing for the View Larger Map is interesting.  Would this view, by any chance, show the cache's additional waypoints as well?  In the context of other caches, I could see that being useful.

Will the Browse map still have the wider selection of maps currently under the "Leaflet" label?  The extended OSM family and Esri Worldimagery are very very useful at times.

• Upvote 4

Thanks for the update on your plans! While I haven't used the old or new search maps often, it good to hear that enough progress has been made to consolidate it to one search map.

I'm glad there will still be a way to access the browse map, but it would be nice to still have a way to go directly to it instead of going through the search map.

• Upvote 8
1 hour ago, K13 said:

As others are saying, I only want to open the Browse Map. I seldom use the Search Map.  WHY TAKE AWAY THIS MOST USEFUL LINK?!?!

Yes, me too. Most of the time when I'm browsing for caches I use the browse map as it's a lot more responsive than the search map. With the latter, you only have to pan it by one pixel and it prompts you to "Search this area", plus there's the limit on the number of caches it can display which is easily hit when zooming out a little on a cache-dense location. I really only use the search function when I'm contemplating a challenge cache, looking to do, say, caches in a geoart series or looking for puzzle caches I've solved but haven't yet found. I suppose in time I'll get used to its quirks but it's going to be a bit more cumbersome than it is now.

• Upvote 6
4 minutes ago, icezebra11 said:

I also use the browse map almost exclusively and infrequently use the search map.  I suggest you keep the website header menu link to the Browse Map and rename the path  "Play" > "View Browse Map." 

That is a brilliant solution that won't happen. (It makes too much sense and is what many users want.)

• Upvote 6
18 hours ago, icezebra11 said:

"Play" > "View Browse Map." 

Or even better, "Play" > "Browse the Map".  (Avoids doubled looks-like-verbs.)

I'd be happy if a bookmark to the Browse map takes you directly to the Browse map.  (In Firefox I just type /m, and it guesses what I want, which is a Groundspeak URL ending in /map.  Meaning the Browse map.)

PS, I only use the Browse map, 100% of the time.  I've never been smart enough to figure out Search, therefore I avoid anything on this site using that word.

Edited by Viajero Perdido
Finicky grammar, for clarity
  • Upvote 8

Thanks for the heads up. For me the problem I have with the map searches is that I don't seem to be able to set default options. I do not wish to see my finds or indeed hides by default, I am looking for new caches.  It is highly annoying to go through any clicks to change this state. Can anyone confirm whether I can default to my finds off in the new world.

Edited by lodgebarn
  • Upvote 3

I'm getting this error from the new map page when accessing from work:

URL is:    https://www.geocaching.com/play/map?sw=1&zoom=14

Unable to display page
It has not been possible to display the page you requested for the following reason:
Failed to establish a secure connection to 63.251.163.200 for url https://www.geocaching.com/play/map?. The system returned: [No Error]: [No Error Detail]
This proxy and the remote host failed to negotiate a mutually acceptable security settings for handling your request. It is possible that the remote host does not support secure connections, or the proxy is not satisfied with the host security credentials.
Contact your system administrator if you continue to experience difficulties.

It's OK from home, so could be a problem with the work proxy (if so there's nothing I can do about it). But I don't get this on any other Groundspeak pages, or anywhere else on the web.

I like the search map as it shows caches at the correct positions when I am interested in a particular area for a new cache. For me it is ok to show search map when the position is known like looking area around a cache or othervise from selected coordinates. I would like to see the browsemap when opening the map from the main menu.

Edited by arisoft
  • Upvote 3

There is one thing I don't like on the new map: the only OSM map is the Geocaching default map and this is nearly unusable (no details shown). On the current map I can select OSM default or German style OSM which is much better, please bring back this to the new map as well.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

If you are insisting to introduce the new map then please give us the option to go directly to the old map from our home page. 

I've just looked at the new map for the first time and it is very limited in the number of geocaches it can display, or have I missed something?

• Upvote 4
6 hours ago, MartyBartfast said:

It's OK from home, so could be a problem with the work proxy (if so there's nothing I can do about it). But I don't get this on any other Groundspeak pages, or anywhere else on the web.

That's exactly the same for me (but with another proxy error message). I think the "play" part of the URL is confusing/misleading the proxies in some enterprise environments. It is being interpreted as "somebody tries to play something here, and this not allowed !1!1!!!". The "old" map https://www.geocaching.com/map works wothout problems.

• Upvote 3
44 minutes ago, hcy said:

On the current map I can select OSM default or German style OSM which is much better, please bring back this to the new map as well.

Yes, that would help a lot. The "Geocaching" map layer is only useful in deserts with highways / primary roads, but useless in woods, fields, and urban areas. Just to show the difference, I attaches two images: The first one is the "Geocaching" layer, the second one is the "OpenStreetmap Default" layer. The first one shows absolutely nothing but bigger streets and some green areas that seem to resemble parks and allotments, the second one shows all streets and paths, houses, railway/tram lines, and distinguishes between wood, parks, lawn, fields and so on.

map_GC.png

map_OSM.png

• Upvote 6
  • Helpful 3

I still can't pan this new map twice in quick succession (click drag release move click drag release), at a normal "browsing" speed.  (Sorry, I know, I'm trying to browse on the search map.)  On the second attempt to pan, the map's still thinking about the first pan, and is unresponsive to input.  Am I the only one that thinks this is a serious usability issue?

Hopefully that's just due to sluggishness caused by debug code slowing things down.

And I'm still seeing only sputter/noise instead of a map (must be an HTML5 / old video card interaction), but it doesn't seem like it'll interfere with getting to the browse map which I really want to use.

• Upvote 1

Wow, looks like another step away from usefulness.  I think thebruce0 stated things very well, as have most others on this forum.

I am one of those who exclusively uses the Browse map, since the present Search/Map function has never allowed anything beyond 10 miles.  I also extensively use other map options that have been removed from the new search map, i.e. Open Street Map Default, Esri WorldStreetMap (shows county boundaries - critical for me and many others, my go-to map), Esri WorldImagery, and Esri WorldTopoMap.  They have been of immense help to me over the years, as I can drill down and find out what's in the area (businesses, terrain, roads, boundaries, etc.) much better than the "Geocaching" map has provided for.  I have noticed over the past several months that these maps have, in their own turns, been sporadically non-functional for relatively long periods (the "map" parts didn't show), which to me indicates a loss of support, and likely a removal from our access in the next several months.  I'm extremely disappointed to have to rely solely on Google mapping.  Makes me wonder if Google has bought out Groundspeak.

Please keep, maintain, and keep easy access for, the browser map as it currently stands.

• Upvote 5

Having one of those (dyslexic) days I guess and just don't get it...

Maybe someone can explain ?  Thanks.   :)

I use the search filter (dropdown from "play") from my profile dashboard to search caches (by D/T mostly). 

Usually just by the terrain rating I'm in a large patch of green.

I'll use that map on the cache page to see if any similar are nearby.

Will anything else change ?  

4 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

Along with everyone else, I want to emphasize how even just basic use cases should show that browsing is more common than plotting search results, or requesting more complex filters in order to see a limited result set.

If you are removing links to the Browse Map, please do not force direct links to switch from the Browse Map (ie Bookmarks/Favorites to the map url) to the Search Map!

They both need to continue to exist, but I can't logically see why the default map view would be searching, rather than browsing.  Any links to either map should make the most sense for its context.

eg:

* From a listing, "View map" = Browse map centered on cache.

* From a listing, "Map nearby caches" = Search map with some arbitrary distance centered on cache.

* From a listing, "List nearby caches" = Search result list with some arbitrary distance centered on cache.

* From a search query list result, "Map these results" = Search map plotting the search results collection

* From the website menu, "Play -> Browse the Map" = Browse map centered on home coordinates

* From the website menu, "Play -> Search" = New empty Search filtering session (list view, not map view)

etc

Even from a data use, browser intensity standpoint, a graphical map interface for a search query shouldn't be the default view.  That'll suck more battery and use more data than starting from the list results and then choosing to view the results on a bulky (relatively speaking) map interface.  Personally, I abhore when websites assume by design that you have high bandwidth/speed and limitless data to use. Far too often I'm left waiting for things to load that I'm not going to use first (like wanting to set/correct filters before even seeing anything about a map).  That's why websites are more often going with lazy loading these days, or with more modular designs that load content by choice or based on activity.
Assume fast and informational/useful, then let us opt in for complexity and graphic/visual detail.

If a website link implies performing a limited search on the map, then sure, the Search Map would make sense.  If the link implies a generic map view, go to the Browse Map.

For the love of Geocaching please do not remove direct links or linking straight to the Browse Map! :P

But thank you for keeping them both! :cool:

This is an excellent post that provides some great recommendations.

I think some effort needs to be spent on differentiating the two map experiences and making sure the end-user understands why there are two maps and what the differences are. Once that's done, then you can have different links leading to different map experiences (or the list view) depending on the context as detailed in thebruce0's post. Dumbing things down and forcing everything through one of the map experiences degrades the experience for those who know what they want in order to cater to those who haven't been provided a sufficient explanation of the options.

• Upvote 4

When they first beta tested the new search map, a lot of people complained because it was bad for browsing. And their reaction struck me as perfectly reasonable, pointing out that this was the map for searching, so we'd all have our old browsing map when we're browsing. My impression was that we'd only get to the map when we searched, and I was fine with that. But now that they're ready to formally release it, it turns out it will replace the browse map, with the browse map being held in the background so we can say, "No, not that map" once the main map (a.k.a., search map) is displayed. I feel like I was tricked into supporting the search map with a bait and switch.

• Upvote 7

Browse map: VERY minimal filtering, worldwide map of caches available at all feasible zoom levels.

Search map: Not a live worldwide view of all geocaches as you pan, you need to refresh the filter results manually. Many more filter options.

Those are the most significant differences. And they are big basic usability differences.

• Upvote 4

I love the Browse map and use it most of the time. But the new Search map is actually promising. When I click an icon on the map I get basic info in the left pane along with recent logs. I can even see the cache listing faster than opening a separate cache page. I can live with the "Search this area" button when panning the map as I understand it keeps the server load down. I usually zoom out a bit and then download the caches anyway.

Ideas:

1. the map layers: among the non-satellite only "Geocaching" and "Google Road map" available. Still not sure which one is worse. :( Consider adding an OSM mapnik layer.
  2. how about to optionally display highlighted cache's waypoints right in the search map? One could see where the recommended parking for a particular cache is and where the stages will take him (to which other caches' vicinity)
  3. increase recent logs number to 10 (or better, make it an option in the "Map settings")
  4. both "More info" and "View all xx logs" links open the cache page  but while the former does so in a new tab the latter does not.
  • Upvote 2

A former co-worker had this view of software functionality over time: "You should never take away functionality people are used to.  You also should never make it harder for people to do what they want to do."

Having separate ways to get to the search map and the browse map would meet with his approval (as would adding functionality to each of those maps).  Forcing the user to go through the search map to get to the browse map (adding extra clicks) would fall under the heading of "making it harder for people to do what they want to do."

Again, let me state that I have no issue with the existence of the new Search map (even though I prefer the older one) nor the people that find it useful.  My only concern is to easily get to the Browse map via the GC.COM interface (although bookmarking the Browse map could be a workable option, if that will still be a viable approach, as per @thebruce0's post).

• Upvote 4

So if it stays that way, (I just can not think of anything the translator could do: - () ...

there are only three different map views (and unfortunately not very good) and somehow I do not manage to set the search radius to rummage. even if you search worldwide, he does not care.

that raises the question ... WHY

you're just spoiling my day

Add another vote for being able to directly go to the browse map. It seems to me that the proposed changes are contrary to what has been said all along. Most of us do not use the search feature and are used to the browse map. View map always took you to browse, so why change that?

• Upvote 4

I am somewhat relieved to properly understand now that the new map is not intended to replace 'browse map'.  This whole time I was thinking that was what was being planned, so this is good news!  I do see the new search map as a reasonable replacement for the old search map--perhaps even better in particular ways.  I do agree with most of the comments in here saying that the browse map is my go-to about 90% of the time, so it would seem more intuitive that choosing 'view map' on the menu would take me right there.  That said, the indication of a toggle to go between the maps seems like it will make this ok.  It will be interesting to see how this toggle works.  If it allows you to go back and forth between a search map and the browse map easily, this could be a nice feature.  As it stands, I will often have 2 tabs open in my browser, one with my curated search map, and a 2nd with the browse map just to make sure I'm not missing something that will be right on the way.  I guess I will hold my judgement in abeyance until I see the toggle. 

1 hour ago, MrGigabyte said:

How to turn OFF caches that I have found and caches I own?

Setting a filter under Cache Status to show only Not Found and Not Owned,  does not return the the correct caches to the map.

This should surely be default why on earth would I want to see caches I own or have found as a default view? I wonder whether the folks writing/designing the software ever go caching themselves?

• Upvote 6
1 hour ago, lodgebarn said:

This should surely be default why on earth would I want to see caches I own or have found as a default view? I wonder whether the folks writing/designing the software ever go caching themselves?

If they do, they are using methods that are vastly different from most of us (especially those responding to this thread).

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, MrGigabyte said:

How to turn OFF caches that I have found and caches I own?

Setting a filter under Cache Status to show only Not Found and Not Owned,  does not return the the correct caches to the map.

That seems to work for me. What about it isn't working for you? Are you still seeing caches you own or have found, or are you not seeing caches you expect to see? If the latter, it could be you've hit the 500 cache limit.

image.png.2ae80ab436654cadcf0e1748828528ce.png

I'll go ahead and add my vote for retaining a direct path to the Browse map.

I prefer to use the Browse map, because getting a 'quick view' of the cache attributes (D/T/Size/CO/HideDate) does not require me to keep looking back to the left of the window.

Clicking on each cache on the Search map requires me to look left, then right, then left, then right, as I click through different cache icons. Clicking on each cache on the Browse map does not require that eye scanning, as the info shows up right above the icon that I'm already looking at.  The usability differences are even more pronounced when clicking on Event icons, because with the Search I have to scroll and click to the description on each one in order to see the date of each event - since the "Placed On" info is buggy, which I'll post about in a separate topic.

Edited by noncentric
Edit: added link for topic about event bug
  • Upvote 3
3 minutes ago, HHL said:

After setting the filters: Hit the "Done" button.

If you're referring to MrGigabyte's post, he specifically says that he clicked on Done.

5 hours ago, MrGigabyte said:

This is what I see. Not Found filter set (and have hit "Done"), yet what is returned are my FInds.

4 hours ago, Rock Chalk said:
10 hours ago, lodgebarn said:

I wonder whether the folks writing/designing the software ever go caching themselves?

In accordance with the forum guidelines, please remember to keep comments constructive and focused on features, rather than on employees. 

(And, yes, they do go caching themselves.)

Sorry, while a bit provoking to me this is a reasonable and constructive question.

Employees are making decisions and we would like to understand how do these employees get their information and reasoning to decide that the browse map is only secondary and I don't think it's overly speculative to assume it's deemed to be removed completely in the long run.

The linked blog article from Jannuary (admittedly without mentioning a "browse map") states:

You can switch back and forth between the old and the new for awhile if you need to, but eventually the move to the new search map will be permanent.

I probably can live with an additional click to reach the map which to me and most of participants in this thread consider the at least equally important one but it would really hurt to switch it off before the new map is capable of truly "browsing" the map.

• Upvote 5
3 hours ago, Hynz said:

Employees are making decisions and we would like to understand how do these employees get their information and reasoning ...

You do realize that you're replying to someone who has 14 times as many geocache finds as you do?

In addition to the many Lackeys with deep geocaching experience (I can think of three with a combined total of more than 65,000 cache finds), HQ has ready and continuous access to the Community Volunteer Reviewer group.  We tend to be very vocal, but respectful, beta testers and feedback sources for new features.

There is also an HQ team dedicated to obtaining input and feedback from "regular" users through surveys, in-person meetings, the "User Insights" forum, etc.

• Helpful 3
2 minutes ago, Keystone said:

You do realize that you're replying to someone who has 14 times as many geocache finds as you do?

In addition to the many Lackeys with deep geocaching experience ...

Perhaps these experienced people could give us some tips on how the new look maps should be used to accomplish what we are wanting to do?

A step by step guide would be useful as we are obviously not using the new system to its best advantage as we are only beginners.

• Upvote 5
  • Funny 2