Published/Unpublished

colleda

Came across this not long ago.  Cache was published in error, then retracted.  It was wa-a-a-ay too close to the final of a puzzle.   I would have thought that the reviewer tools would have prevented that from ever happening.

Edited by NanCycle
typo
36 minutes ago, colleda said:

I recently received notification of a new cache published close by. When I tried to log on to the cache it came up as "Unpublished". What happened? Have not seen this before.

Rocky Point (GC864VJ)

We shot out of the house for this one yesterday, we got about half way over there when it became apparent something was amiss - it wouldn't show up on Cachly or the official app - we wondered if it had been retracted, and turned around for home.... Our reviewer did that to one of ours recently after we requested a coord check  - a publish followed by an 'oops' retraction after 30 seconds..... I think this one was probably too close to a nearby puzzle..... 

Indeed, the reviewer made an error and hit the "Publish" button prematurely.  It happens often enough that Geocaching HQ had to build a log type and workflow for it!

Imagine going into the review queue for a quick check before heading out for a day of geocaching, or before heading to bed, or driving to work -- only to discover a big batch of new cache submissions to look at!  Sometimes we rush through too quickly.  It's even more challenging when the website is misbehaving - this affects reviewers even more so than other geocachers.

The length of time that elapses between pressing the "Publish" button and realizing that you forgot something and shouldn't have published the cache is called an "ohnosecond."

• Upvote 3
  • Funny 5
  • Helpful 1
2 hours ago, Keystone said:

The length of time that elapses between pressing the "Publish" button and realizing that you forgot something and shouldn't have published the cache is called an "ohnosecond."

My kiddo and I literally just laughed out loud, and we have proclaimed an, 'ohnosecond,' a new part of our vocabulary!

You can set notifications for the retract log.   I have several set (along with publish logs for Locationless and Virtuals - the virt thing came in handy last year)

You'll get the lo itself as email (  A common log is, "oops" ) (I have not seen "woof", but while some reviewers are dogs, many are not). The cache is now retracted (unpublished), so all you'll see get on the cache is 

Cache is Unpublished

1 hour ago, Isonzo Karst said:

You can set notifications for the retract log.   I have several set (along with publish logs for Locationless and Virtuals - the virt thing came in handy last year)

You'll get the lo itself as email (  A common log is, "oops" ) (I have not seen "woof", but while some reviewers are dogs, many are not). The cache is now retracted (unpublished), so all you'll see get on the cache is 

Cache is Unpublished

If you somehow manage to set the listing on your Watchlist during the ohnosecond between publish and retract, you not only get notified about the retraction, but also of any other logs (reviewer notes) afterwards. At least it used to be that way a few years ago - dunno if this bug(?) has been fixed by now.

20 hours ago, Keystone said:

<...>

Chuckle.

I've always defined an "ohnosecond" as the period of time between when the car door leaves your hand and you spot the keys hanging in the ignition.

Edited by TeamRabbitRun
Spelling. Caught it an ohnosecond too late.
  • Upvote 1

... or the time between pressing "send" for an email, and then realizing that you forgot the attachment or hit "Reply to All" when you meant to make private comments to the sender.

There are many times in life when I wish I had a "Retract" button.  I'm grateful for the half dozen times each year when I need to use it as a cache reviewer.

• Upvote 3