[Improvement] Make the far from home coordinates warning less aggresive

TheVoytekBear

Hi,,

I'm still frustrated so I'll just get to the point: I live in one part of the contry but have a family home in another, which I visit on a regular basis. I create caches in or near my hometown as well because A - there are very few there, B - I'm able to do maintenance a few times a year.

I've just been through a process of creating a new listing for a puzzle, where I wanted to adjust the posted coordinates based on the map the form displays (so they don't point to a cemetery or a private business by accident). I had to close the warning about 20-30 times! I realize this might have been caused by the method the developers chose (probably text box value change event), but the way it ends up working is just absurd.When I press the confirm button, it means I acknowledge the message. I don't have to be reminded another 30 times.

Please change it so the message is shown only once while the form page is being viewed (probably a single hidden field serving as a variable would do).

Regards

Wojtek

Edited by TheVoytekBear

In that vein...

By the time it complains about your new hide's distance from home, you've already got a cache there, and you're not about to just abandon that idea on the spot, go out, and place one just down the street instead.  Heck no, you're focused on the coordinates where you've already planted something, what can be done to make it work?

The few times I've seen that message, it struck me as mismatched to a hider's typical process.

(Then there's that complaint, hey you've got disabled caches, deal with those first.  Of course they're disabled, they're not published yet.  But I digress...)

4 hours ago, TheVoytekBear said:

I've just been through a process of creating a new listing for a puzzle, where I wanted to adjust the posted coordinates based on the map the form displays (so they don't point to a cemetery or a private business by accident).

"Measure twice, cut once" comes to mind.  If you're having to close the warning "20-30 times", it sounds like a problem with your process, not the warning.  I pretty much always go with what my gps tells me at ground zero, not from what the maps tell me.  If it looks that far off from making any sense, my first thought is that I fat fingered the numbers.

• Upvote 1
21 hours ago, Viajero Perdido said:

By the time it complains about your new hide's distance from home, you've already got a cache there, and you're not about to just abandon that idea on the spot, go out, and place one just down the street instead.  Heck no, you're focused on the coordinates where you've already planted something, what can be done to make it work?

I have to admit, I haven't seen this warning, but I assume the point is to help the CO when he's accidentally entered coordinates that seem goofy. In other words, my guess is that it's popping up precisely because the user interface is worried that the cache isn't anywhere near those coordinates.

But that just makes the OP's point even more valid. If the interface it trying to make sure the CO isn't making a dumb mistake, then one time saying "It's OK, that's the area where I meant to put it," should be enough for any one cache. Although it sounds like the OP kept changing the coordinates, and each time the interface complained. Once I got the complaint twice, I would have gone to some other map to figure out exactly where I wanted to post the cache to avoid fighting with the user interface during that part of the process. I agree the UI seems a little silly, but isn't the problem avoidable?

• Upvote 2

A quick and dirty fix is to change your home location. Not elegant, and it could mess up some old challenge caches. The better solution is for GS to allow for multiple locations. This would be handy for a couple of reasons. So it wouldn't be abused, maybe only allow a primary and secondary location, or cap it at 4 locations max.

• For placing caches, no warning if you are within xxx distance from ANY location.
  • For searching, specify xxx kilometers from a specific location (much like GSAK allows you to do), or maybe allow searching from ALL locations combined.

I too have multiple residences. They happen to be 100 miles apart, and I commute almost every weekend. While I haven't placed any caches, having multiple locations for searching would be nice.

@TheVoytekBear - I just saw you posted this as "just happening" on Sunday.  There have been high server loads for the past few weeks on Sundays (reminiscent of the first couple years after we joined, where we dared not run a pocket query on Sunday afternoons when the weather was nice).  The load issues seem to have affected plenty of things across the site during peak hours, such as Server 500 errors and notification emails not going out on time.  So this could possibly be a one-off due to server issues.

Maybe try it again on, say, a Thursday morning, and see if things have calmed down.  If it keeps happening during a non-peak hour, then yeah, it's an issue that should be addressed.

On 4/14/2019 at 11:41 PM, Viajero Perdido said:

The few times I've seen that message, it struck me as mismatched to a hider's typical process.

(Then there's that complaint, hey you've got disabled caches, deal with those first.  Of course they're disabled, they're not published yet.  But I digress...)

Yeah I found it really dumb to get that warning on unpublished cache.