Log comments from Cachers

The_Man_Of_Steel

You can only delete.  You say you already talked to this person. 

I'd give them a bit of time to "collect their thoughts", but if you feel they spoiled your hide with their log, delete it.

They can always write another.  It could be TFTC, but they complied with your request, right ?  .   :)

On 4/14/2019 at 7:39 AM, cerberus1 said:

You can only delete.  You say you already talked to this person. 

I'd give them a bit of time to "collect their thoughts", but if you feel they spoiled your hide with their log, delete it.

They can always write another.  It could be TFTC, but they complied with your request, right ?  .   :)

There's another option which is to encrypt their log (click on View Log and it's the red padlock in the top right). It uses ROT13 encryption so it's not that hard to decrypt, but it stops the spoiler from being seen by someone casually browsing through the logs.

Edited by barefootjeff
Correcting the ROT
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
25 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

There's another option which is to encrypt their log (click on View Log and it's the red padlock in the top right). It uses ROT14 encryption so it's not that hard to decrypt, but it stops the spoiler from being seen by someone casually browsing through the logs.

This "encryption" is just a joke as you can decrypt it by a single mouse click. But sometimes it is the best solution.

It is not unusual that there is a dispute whether the log spoils or not. I would like to see a better description in guidelines stating that in every case, when the cache owner feels that the log is spoiling, the geocacher who wrote it, must edit the log until it is accepted by the owner. Deleting should be the last resort.

• Upvote 2
19 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

There's another option which is to encrypt their log (click on View Log and it's the red padlock in the top right). It uses ROT14 encryption so it's not that hard to decrypt, but it stops the spoiler from being seen by someone casually browsing through the logs.

Yep.

Since you captured my post, I'll add I didn't forget,  but (to me)  it's not a "fix" if someone  "would rather just edit the words " to just encrypt it instead.

I keep a decoder on another tab to read those rare logs when searching caches I might do next, and I'm the least tech-friendly person here I'd bet.    :D

- Though maybe the OP feels that is good enough.       :)

19 minutes ago, Harry Dolphin said:

I edited the log, then hit 'decrypt'. It decrypted it.

And then submitted it again, so that it stays decrypted on the cache page?  Seems odd that the website would make it that easy to unencrypt a log, but maybe the feature is geared towards allowing the CO to mask logs from cachers that are unlikely to care about going back and changing it.  I saw a log recently that I wish the CO would've encrypted, or deleted.  it was full of curse words and bad language, but it did eventually get manage by a Reviewer.

Do you get notified that a log you submit is encrypted?

30 minutes ago, noncentric said:

And then submitted it again, so that it stays decrypted on the cache page?  Seems odd that the website would make it that easy to unencrypt a log, but maybe the feature is geared towards allowing the CO to mask logs from cachers that are unlikely to care about going back and changing it.  I saw a log recently that I wish the CO would've encrypted, or deleted.  it was full of curse words and bad language, but it did eventually get manage by a Reviewer.

Do you get notified that a log you submit is encrypted?

I think so, but it was a long time ago.  I think encryption was intended for cachers rather than for COs

This is one of those areas where my main feeling is that it's not as bad as it sounds.

So, first, if you're worried the cache is spoiled, "it's not as bad as it sounds" to just delete the log. You can (and should) contact the person (and it sounds like you did that) explaining why you deleted the log. That's where you can say, "...so please, if you wouldn't mind, post something more like this" followed by what you were thinking you might edit it to. Deleting a log isn't an act of violence any more than posting a log with a spoiler is, so as long as you're friendly about it, it's no problem getting the log out of the way first, and only then helping the person that posted the log to log the find in a way that doesn't spoil your hide.

ON THE OTHER HAND, "it's not as bad as it sounds" to have a spoiler in the log. Yeah, it can give cachers that look for it in the near future a leg up, but that's not the end of the world. And as people log the find, that spoiler gets buried deeper and deeper until not many people will see it. My hides aren't particularly difficult or tricky, so maybe that makes me look at them differently, but I figure if someone's having trouble finding the cache and goes to the logs looking for some tips, maybe it's not so bad for them to find a log that gives away the hide so they can enjoy finding the cache even if they couldn't find it without some help. So I wouldn't worry about deleting the log. I'm not sure, but I might have once or twice suggested someone remove a spoiler, but I likely wouldn't notice whether they did or didn't.

• Upvote 1

It all ended up working out in the end.

The account owner did contact me in the end. It turns out that "the kids" were responsible for writing the comments. The account owner was more than happy to delete the posts and write new ones.

This process should be easier though. The cache owner should be able to delete stuff that gives away key information in my opinion. Especially when the posts say exactly where the cache is hidden or when revealing images are uploaded.

I am always reluctant to delete posts though because it reduces the Geocachers "found" count I think.

7 minutes ago, The_Man_Of_Steel said:

This process should be easier though. The cache owner should be able to delete stuff that gives away key information in my opinion.

I have suggested this some time ago. If the owner has button to make the log private, log text part visible only to the finder and the owner, that would solve most disputes about the content.

Edited by arisoft
  • Helpful 1
On 4/14/2019 at 7:30 AM, The_Man_Of_Steel said:

I have had someone write comments on some of my Cache Logs that basically tells others where my caches are hidden. 

A question. Have you rated your cache correctly, and are the coordinates correct? Sometimes if these are wrong, this can be the reason someone might write where it is. Example, if the coordinates are taking people to place A, but the cache is actually at place B, someone might write, "Don't bother checking the bush where the coordinates take you, as the cache isn't there. Check the statue." Also, if it's a hard cache to find, but someone has only rated the cache difficulty at 1/1.5, someone might write more than they might write if the cache difficulty reflected the actual difficulty. Terrain too.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
4 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

if it's a hard cache to find, but someone has only rated the cache difficulty at 1/1.5, someone might write more than they might write if the cache difficulty reflected the actual difficulty. Terrain too.

+1

When I get spoilers on my caches ("In the hollow stump!", or whatever), it's often a very new Geocacher, and that's the entire log.  It seems like some people believe the idea is to tell everyone exactly how to find it. 

Most of the OP's caches are "1.5 Difficulty".  These are what I'd call "easy", so the cachers should either already know how the cache is hidden, or need no extra clues.  A "spoiler" may not affect such caches, but it could spoil any surprise.  It's a D1.5, just go and find it and maybe see a fun twist when you get there, don't ruin it for everyone else.  Sheesh.

I'm gonna go add text to some of my App-found cache descriptions, something like "Please type a great log with a story and photos, but don't spoil the hunt for others".  See if that helps.  By default, one may expect Geocaching would be all about "No Spoilers", and that the cache description should tell what the CO intends to reveal. But if it weren't for loudmouth Newbs, I'd have half the finds I do.  :P

[EDIT:  OK, I'm back from adding some "no spoiler" text two of the caches that new cachers tend to cut their teeth on. 

Not all of my caches would have a No Spoiler warning, beyond standard Geocaching etiquette.  "Dale Carrot, Jr." is designed to be a fun surprise when found, is especially muggle vulnerable (including the very evil landscapers), and is almost always found upon attempts. It's probably unnecessary to "spoil" the hide style (it's just that easy to find), but as for posting photos of the creative container, this is an exception for sure.  I don't mind.]

Edited by kunarion
9 hours ago, The_Man_Of_Steel said:

This process should be easier though. The cache owner should be able to delete stuff that gives away key information in my opinion. Especially when the posts say exactly where the cache is hidden or when revealing images are uploaded.

We used to think this way,  but that "delete stuff" option would have to be available to all.    :)

Even the guy who intentionally places caches with fake coordinates to make them "tough to find"..

The one who freaks with any mention of his cache being in poor condition, location horrible, etc. 

-  I'd think folks would like to know the guy's cache is under a porta potty...  

You see,   if just a partial edit were allowed, many caches would never have issues just because of that edit button.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1