The purpose of geocoins

_Trisma

HI everyone,

i've recently found a geocoin I think.

Am I supposed to keep it or let it travel like travel bugs? There is a code on it but it isn't for tracking, it refers to an archived cache.

For the gecoins you can buy, do you just buy them as decoration for your own? Like the once for 5000 caches logged, 10 000 caches logged,... Or do you buy them to put in a cache?

Thanks in advance for the response to my questions.

If you find a Geocoin (or other trackable item) in a Geocache, it is rare that the intent is for you to keep it.  The item may have "Track at Geocaching.com" inscribed.  It will have a 6-digit "tracking number" of numbers and letters, but you may have to search the whole thing to find that code, and may need a magnifying glass, to see the number.  Type a tracking number here:  https://www.geocaching.com/track/

A Geocache GC number is not a trackable item, but may also be on a trackable item, along with a tracking number.  I've seen a GC number cause such confusion among Geocachers, that I rarely place an item with a GC number on a placed item anymore.  I used to hand-make a "kunarion" name pin button for any Geocaching Event, include the Event's GC number and place the pin into a cache.  That generated massive chaos for finders trying to "track" the GC number.  :ph34r:

If you buy a nice Geocoin because you like it, keep it rather than place it in a Geocache.  Unless you want to have it in play (so that people can log it at Events or whatever), you don't even have to activate it.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 2
1 minute ago, kunarion said:

If you find a Geocoin (or other trackable item) in a Geocache, it is rare that the intent is for you to keep it.  The item may have "Track at Geocaching.com" inscribed.  It will have a 6-digit "tracking number" of numbers and letters, but you may have to search the whole thing to find that code, and may need a magnifying glass, to see it.  Type a tracking number here:  https://www.geocaching.com/track/

A Geocache GC number is not a trackable item, but may also be on a trackable item (along with a tracking number).  I've seen a GC number cause such confusion among Geocachers, that I rarely place an item with a GC number on it anymore.  I used to hand-make a "kunarion" name pin button for any Geocaching Event, include the Event's GC number and place the pin into a cache.  That generated massive chaos for finders trying to "track" the GC number.  :ph34r:

There is only a GC number on it, no tracking number. The cache was from an event so I suppose they gave those coins for the participants of that event and the owner of the coin just left it in a cache as a souvenir.

PS: I never found a trackable so I hope I'l find one one day so I can log it and place it somewhere else. It's like a dream to open a cache and fine a TB code ?

3 hours ago, tristan vermeesch said:

i've recently found a geocoin I think.

Am I supposed to keep it or let it travel like travel bugs? There is a code on it but it isn't for tracking, it refers to an archived cache.

For the gecoins you can buy, do you just buy them as decoration for your own? Like the once for 5000 caches logged, 10 000 caches logged,... Or do you buy them to put in a cache?

3 hours ago, tristan vermeesch said:

There is only a GC number on it, no tracking number. The cache was from an event so I suppose they gave those coins for the participants of that event and the owner of the coin just left it in a cache as a souvenir.

PS: I never found a trackable so I hope I'l find one one day so I can log it and place it somewhere else. It's like a dream to open a cache and fine a TB code ?

Pretty-much everything you need to know about Trackables.     

We have a few coins that have the tracking code on the rim/edge of the coin, with the reference number along the bottom face.

- Might be worth a look JIC.    It may be just a souvenir, but that's cool too, right ?   We keep souvenirs.    :)

The other 2/3rds doesn't cache anymore but still trades, or shares codes of coins to Discover from her collection. 

She has enough that we use a small hand truck to lug a portage pack of collection books.  Most are activated, but in her possession.

I have a box of unactivated signature coins that I give away to new folks at events, place in caches I really liked, or coax someone to go for a hike at a further hide. 

A small box of coins given to me from others aren't activated and will never leave the house  (one was the whole AT set).

Personally, I wouldn't think of placing a geocoin in a cache to move along these days.  

I feel it looks too much like the treasure in this "world's largest treasure hunt".  

- Used to be the "language of location", and if it didn't hint at "treasure" in the future, I'd consider it...

TBs and tags get hit just as much, but cost a heck-of-a-lot less.  Wanna lose a little, TBs a good bet.

Edited by cerberus1
addification ;)
  • Upvote 1
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, Alkhalikoi said:

Geocoins make me sad.  They were once something you could find now and again and watch their progress.  Now they get hoovered up almost immediately by people holding them in their collections.  No idea how these people justify this behavior to themselves.  

Also any really nice attachments to TBs are likely to be stolen too. Very sad. With luck the 'naked' tag will be released. Too many hoarders out there.

I have seen a 'missing' TB get 'discovered' at events, but never logged out of the cache it went missing from. It wasn't my TB, so I didn't follow up on this. That's up to its real owner. If it were my TB I would have asked those who 'discovered' it did they remember who had it, letting them know it has been removed from a cache, not logged but hoarded, when it should be released. I imagine most people would reply they didn't know/remember who had the TB. But some people might remember (although not name names), and they at least will now know that person is one of the reasons that TBs disappear. When I see large collections I do wonder.

Edited by Goldenwattle

The other 2/3rds has around 300 coins in her possession, most activated.  Belonged to 4 coin clubs (with their monthly coins too).

I have around 200, most unactivated. Had a bulk box of sig coins made for me too.

- That's nothing...

We went to a coinfest once and her collection wasn't even average with other folks at tables.    :)

"Large collections"  isn't an issue.     Many have them honestly. 

When passed that sheet of codes from a huge bag full of mostly TBs at events, I ask if all the trackables are theirs. 

I've embarrassed a few enough, that they're not the "star"  with their bags of other people's property anymore.

Instead of "wondering" (how ugly rumors get started),  most times it's best to just ask.