Good Central Oregon Geocaches?

IFR GPS

Hello all,

I am going to be vacationing in Central Oregon, down from Montana next week. Would someone give me some good ideas for the best caches in the Bend and Bachelor area? I am familar with the area, so am looking for some neat and challenging caches! 4x4 or hiking, not a problem!

Thanks!

IFR GPS

Really, The last I knew, All the caches around Bend had something good going for them. I would think just about any one of the Navdog caches would fit but most of them are a couple hours or more each. I would suggest if you have the time, search 99701 Zip and read the logs for the caches and see which ones interest you the most.

Later, logscaler

(PS, Red and I are looking your way soooooon.)

icon_eek.gif

Really, The last I knew, All the caches around Bend had something good going for them. I would think just about any one of the Navdog caches would fit but most of them are a couple hours or more each. I would suggest if you have the time, search 99701 Zip and read the logs for the caches and see which ones interest you the most.

Later, logscaler

(PS, Red and I are looking your way soooooon.)

icon_eek.gif

Our favorite central Oregon cache (so far) is "Rimwalker." You walk right along a canyon rim looking for little silver tags on trees that have the next coordinates. It was so fun, so desolate, so beautiful. I know it's a bit north of of Bend, but if you have the time, so worth it. While you're at it, get a peek at beautiful Lake Billy Chinook. Said canyon is just south of there. it's incredible, take our word for it! You should easily be able to find some photos on the internet.

We really enjoyed Rimwalker, also Squaw Creek. But as was mentioned before, you need to be able to devote some time to them.

Other "easier" favorites include Bikini Bottom, Riverview (tough hike if you pick the wrong route), Antenna Forest is a nice view and easy hike. We also enjoyed Area 51, the Kid Kaches, Spooky, and Kids n Dogs. Too many to remember, because, Central Oregon is THE BEST CACHING SPOT ON EARTH!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gifThere are so many to be had, you don't have to worry about blackberry vines, poison oak or stinging nettles and usually there's not a lot of mosquitoes.. You can do a pocket query for that zip code and depending on how long you want to spend on each cache, only get the ones with terrain 2 and below or difficulty 2 and below. If you head up to the NORTH central oregon area, be sure to hit Circular Vista, our most popular cache, and a great view :-) icon_biggrin.gif

We really enjoyed Rimwalker, also Squaw Creek. But as was mentioned before, you need to be able to devote some time to them.

Other "easier" favorites include Bikini Bottom, Riverview (tough hike if you pick the wrong route), Antenna Forest is a nice view and easy hike. We also enjoyed Area 51, the Kid Kaches, Spooky, and Kids n Dogs. Too many to remember, because, Central Oregon is THE BEST CACHING SPOT ON EARTH!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gifThere are so many to be had, you don't have to worry about blackberry vines, poison oak or stinging nettles and usually there's not a lot of mosquitoes.. You can do a pocket query for that zip code and depending on how long you want to spend on each cache, only get the ones with terrain 2 and below or difficulty 2 and below. If you head up to the NORTH central oregon area, be sure to hit Circular Vista, our most popular cache, and a great view :-) icon_biggrin.gif

There are many caches in the Bend/Redmond area that will give you the oppurtunity to stretch your legs and have a good time.

I'm starting with a little shameless promotion and listing a few of ours:

Squaw Creek

Rimwalker II

Walkabout

The Burma Road

Here are some others in the area that definitely aren't drive-by caches either:

Tam McArther

Thriller at the Pillar

Cruise by the Creek 2

This is just a small sample of what the area has to offer. Quite a few Central Oregon cachers enjoy their backyard and have shared some wonderful areas by placing quality caches in these spots. There are also quite a few new caches up in the mountains (Cascades Lakes Highway) that you may want to consider if the weather gets real hot.

Use these zipcodes for a search of the general area: 97756 or 97701.

19973_600.gifThe adventures of Navdog, Justdog, and Otterpup

The Palisades is awesome, although I wasn't able to finish it (due to heat, insufficient water, and poor physical fitness).

Folley Waters has a very cool view of the deschutes river, but recently this view was beat (in my opinion) by the views at River Trail. Don't let the "one" terrain difficulty on River Trail fool you though. I wore sandals and shorts on that one. Big mistake!

And, if I may plug one of my own caches, Obsidian is a fun 4x4 drive, and may be of interest to rock hounds. If you visit Obsidian, be sure to check out Rocky Top by Logscaler and Red.

icon_biggrin.gif

snazzsig.jpg

The Palisades is awesome, although I wasn't able to finish it (due to heat, insufficient water, and poor physical fitness).

Folley Waters has a very cool view of the deschutes river, but recently this view was beat (in my opinion) by the views at River Trail. Don't let the "one" terrain difficulty on River Trail fool you though. I wore sandals and shorts on that one. Big mistake!

And, if I may plug one of my own caches, Obsidian is a fun 4x4 drive, and may be of interest to rock hounds. If you visit Obsidian, be sure to check out Rocky Top by Logscaler and Red.

icon_biggrin.gif

snazzsig.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by IFR GPS:

Would someone give me some good ideas for the best caches in the Bend and Bachelor area? I am familar with the area, so am looking for some neat and challenging caches!

It's hard to believe that a year ago there were only 3 caches within 20 miles of Bend. There are now over 60, with at least 15 in the City limits. I'd group them roughly as desert, urban and forest.

This is not the best time of the year to attempt the hot and dusty desert caches, but depending on the temperature (has been hot), last rain (seems like forever), how early you get started (the early bird gets the cache), and your love of the desert (some do, some don't), there are some outstanding hunts. Many are near town clustered near the highways and major dirt roads, typically at rock features of which there are many. Others are more remote and involve longer hikes or back road dust surfing. My favorites are a couple of Moondog3 caches: Badlands and Walkabout. There are many others farther out.

The urban caches are, above all, convenient and offer a good introduction to Bend if that interests you. Spooky, Central Oregon Urban Cache, Tillicum Village, and Quad Dam Runaround are different and challenging. Most of the others are in parks. I've got caches (Antenna Forest and Third Butte) on 2 of the 3 buttes in town for the views; the other butte (Pilot Butte) is a State Park that doesn't allow caches, although I'll do a virtual as soon as they finish some construction.

The forests just outside Bend and higher up in the Cascades have a variety of hiking, biking, canoeing and 4WD caches. Take your pick, they all have something to recommend them and you could spend many days of happy hunting. There are 7 near (and sometimes on!) 3 of the best canoeing lakes.

quote:
Originally posted by bigeddy:

quote:
Originally posted by IFR GPS:

Would someone give me some good ideas for the best caches in the Bend and Bachelor area? I am familar with the area, so am looking for some neat and challenging caches!

It's hard to believe that a year ago there were only 3 caches within 20 miles of Bend. There are now over 60, with at least 15 in the City limits. I'd group them roughly as desert, urban and forest.

This is not the best time of the year to attempt the hot and dusty desert caches, but depending on the temperature (has been hot), last rain (seems like forever), how early you get started (the early bird gets the cache), and your love of the desert (some do, some don't), there are some outstanding hunts. Many are near town clustered near the highways and major dirt roads, typically at rock features of which there are many. Others are more remote and involve longer hikes or back road dust surfing. My favorites are a couple of Moondog3 caches: Badlands and Walkabout. There are many others farther out.

The urban caches are, above all, convenient and offer a good introduction to Bend if that interests you. Spooky, Central Oregon Urban Cache, Tillicum Village, and Quad Dam Runaround are different and challenging. Most of the others are in parks. I've got caches (Antenna Forest and Third Butte) on 2 of the 3 buttes in town for the views; the other butte (Pilot Butte) is a State Park that doesn't allow caches, although I'll do a virtual as soon as they finish some construction.

The forests just outside Bend and higher up in the Cascades have a variety of hiking, biking, canoeing and 4WD caches. Take your pick, they all have something to recommend them and you could spend many days of happy hunting. There are 7 near (and sometimes on!) 3 of the best canoeing lakes. If you want a full day of hiking near town, I have a series of 3 Cruise by the Creek caches that begin in Shevlin Park and take you west into the forest. Another fine hike is to Tin Puppy along Tumalo Creek.