Pictures instead of smiley/frowny face icons

safechrisLaurie

So, after a great event down in Lake Manatee State Park in Florida I got to thinking...

What if instead of smiley and frowny face icons...we could replace it or have an alternative map that would show our own photo from that particular adventure? 

A map filled with smiley and frowny face icons does not show the miles of sweat and tears we left on the trail. 

A map doesn't show the hours of laughter and smiles shared by friends at camp. 

It doesn't show the 70+ hours of driving and 4 days on the road to camp and be with my Florida geo-Friends/Family for 2.5 days! 

The map could reflect so much more of our adventures! 

It is an intriguing idea, but the icons would necessarily be small, and probably hard to make out details...my logs recall the adventures and I sometimes do go back and re-read them.  And as K13 pointed out, it would take a lot of server resources to maintain all those individual icons for millions of users...

• Upvote 1
On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 7:59 AM, safechrisLaurie said:

So, after a great event down in Lake Manatee State Park in Florida I got to thinking...

What if instead of smiley and frowny face icons...we could replace it or have an alternative map that would show our own photo from that particular adventure? 

A map filled with smiley and frowny face icons does not show the miles of sweat and tears we left on the trail. 

A map doesn't show the hours of laughter and smiles shared by friends at camp. 

It doesn't show the 70+ hours of driving and 4 days on the road to camp and be with my Florida geo-Friends/Family for 2.5 days! 

The map could reflect so much more of our adventures! 

Not gonna talk about the tech, resources needed...

Didn't the event's page have photos from every cacher that loaded any to it?  Yours and others in one spot  - a trip down memory lane...    :)

The smiley (or whatever) on the map would be replaced by only one pic ?   Would only one pic even express "the miles of sweat n tears, hours of laughter n smiles..." ?

Along with every member in this hobby, we have a gallery on our profile dashboard for that.   Most times it's even in order.

- Isn't that what it's for ?

• Upvote 2

I'm not supportive of this idea. The photos would be so small as to be indistinguishable. And the resources required are too onerous. And there would be a weird mix of smileys and frownies, for caches where we don't have a picture, but the photos for caches where we do. I just don't see that it's a benefit.

On 4/13/2019 at 12:02 PM, cerberus1 said:

Along with every member in this hobby, we have a gallery on our profile dashboard for that.   Most times it's even in order.

- Isn't that what it's for ?

I agree that the Gallery in each cacher's Profile is where photos belong.