Friends on the Android app

fual2

I am not sure if its me or not? but it seems you cannot add a friend via the android app or view one? is this planned? not sure if this is the case with the iphone app because I don't own one, at present it seems adding and viewing friends is only available via the web.

3 hours ago, niraD said:

The smartphone apps are not intended to replace the web site. There is plenty of web site functionality that doesn't appear in the apps.

It just seemed a shame as other than that the app is great, I certainly wouldn't be without it, was just a thought while out and about when I had a message from a friend who was using the website at the time.

16 minutes ago, midge5 said:

was just a thought while out and about when I had a message from a friend who was using the website at the time.

If your friend sent you a message through the app, then you should be able to view and respond to that message in the app.  Is that what you were trying to do?

You can read and write messages to any geocacher, as long as you know their username, via the app.  They do not have to be in your "Friends" list to exchange messages.

3 minutes ago, noncentric said:

If your friend sent you a message through the app, then you should be able to view and respond to that message in the app.  Is that what you were trying to do?

You can read and write messages to any geocacher, as long as you know their username, via the app.  They do not have to be in your "Friends" list to exchange messages.

yes I could respond via the app, it just occurred to us both there was no add friend like on the website, i guess its not really needed in the end.

58 minutes ago, midge5 said:

yes I could respond via the app, it just occurred to us both there was no add friend like on the website, i guess its not really needed in the end.

Yes, the app and website are not the same.

When you get around to hiding a cache, you will need to use the website.  Which, I think, is a good thing.  The 'game' started on a website and existed before phone apps, so the website is certainly going to be where most of the existing resources and functionality can be found.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 3