Interested in a Waymarking riddle?

Here's a little riddle for you. What we are looking for is a specific waymark. I will give you some hints for a start and will add more hints every now and then. If you think, that this is a stupid idea, please stop reading and go out and take some photos. :-) Ok, here we go:

1. The waymark is in a European country.
  2. The waymark owner is from Canada.
  3. More than 12% of all the waymarks in that country are owned by that Canadian waymarker.

I think that a very clever person would find that these three hints are enough to find the waymark I'm looking for, but maybe I'm wrong. I will post additional hints tomorrow, if necessary. Whoever is the first to find the right waymark, may start with another Waymarking riddle.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

My first guess: WM7WP ?

That one doesn't appear in the database, or at least it doesn't for me.

5 hours ago, elyob said:

What U.S. Benchmarks waymark is most distant from American soil?

Haven't a clue. It could be one of mine, but mine are only about 2 or 3 miles north of the 49th, so I doubt it.

A guess - somewhere in the south Pacific?

Keith

Edited by BK-Hunters
18 hours ago, BK-Hunters said:

Do I need to give a hint?

Silence... ... ...

Ok. Here's a hint - If one were to start here on Earth and travel in a straight line at a speed of Warp 9.9, it would take 1.867016 million years,  or 1 million, 867 thousand and 16 days, (give or take a few days) to arrive at the object in question. That should make it easy peasy!

One caveat - this calculation does not take into account the object's observed red shift and apparent velocity away from Earth, which would, given its red shift of .597, add considerably to the travel time. For the sake of simplicity, though, we'll ignore that factor.

Keith

1 hour ago, BK-Hunters said:

Silence... ... ...

Ok. Here's a hint - If one were to start here on Earth and travel in a straight line at a speed of Warp 9.9, it would take 1.867016 million years,  or 1 million, 867 thousand and 16 days, (give or take a few days) to arrive at the object in question. That should make it easy peasy!

One caveat - this calculation does not take into account the object's observed red shift and apparent velocity away from Earth, which would, given its red shift of .597, add considerably to the travel time. For the sake of simplicity, though, we'll ignore that factor.

Keith

WMYZ1N

On 4/12/2019 at 8:20 PM, elyob said:

WMVQNX

Well, no, not really. We'd have to define the exact location of the "Big Bang", which, I suppose, could be at the centre of the present universe. Wallace, Idaho lays claim to that accolade, among others. That was Waymarked by the dear, departed BruceS, by the way. AND we're looking for a specific location, or object.

So, try again - and remember that it's WAAAAAY out there!

Keith

On 6/13/2019 at 4:15 PM, dtrebilc said:

WMRDYG

If I'm right this is one of mine (and one of my favourites) so I waited for a while in case anyone else worked it out.

Dave

Again, no, sorry! You have to think much, much, much, much, much much farther away. 

Travelling at "a  speed of Warp 9.9,  it would take 1.867016  million  years" to get there. 

Warp 9.9 is  3,053 times the speed of light. At that speed the nearest star is only 14 hours away.

So, think BIG and FAAAAAAAAAAARRRR!

I do like your Waymark though. That's one to be proud of!

Keith

36 minutes ago, BK-Hunters said:

Again, no, sorry! You have to think much, much, much, much, much much farther away. 

Travelling at "a  speed of Warp 9.9,  it would take 1.867016  million  years" to get there. 

Warp 9.9 is  3,053 times the speed of light. At that speed the nearest star is only 14 hours away.

Keith

then it MUST be the Restaurant at the End of the Universe. Don't forget to bring your towel and order a Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster

or maybe   Waymark Code: WMJPFQ

Icarus, whose official name is MACS J1149+2223 Lensed Star 1, is the farthest individual star ever seen. It is only visible because it is being magnified by the gravity of a massive galaxy cluster, located about 5 billion light-years from Earth.

Edited by vulture1957
On 6/14/2019 at 8:45 PM, vulture1957 said:

or maybe   Waymark Code: WMJPFQ

Icarus, whose official name is MACS J1149+2223 Lensed Star 1, is the farthest individual star ever seen. It is only visible because it is being magnified by the gravity of a massive galaxy cluster, located about 5 billion light-years from Earth.

Admittedly, you have found an object even more distant than the object in question.

However, the object in WMJPFQ is the asteroid Icarus, not MACS J1149+2223 Lensed Star 1, so, unfortunately, it doesn't count. Icarus, the asteroid, is mere millions of miles from us, not billions of light years.

The answer to the riddle is only about 1/3 the distance of MACS J1149+2223.

Don't give up - I'm sure you'll get it eventually.

Or, on the other hand, Waymark MACS J1149+2223 Lensed Star 1 and I'll have to change the answer...:)

Keith

14 hours ago, BK-Hunters said:

Admittedly, you have found an object even more distant than the object in question.

However, the object in WMJPFQ is the asteroid Icarus, not MACS J1149+2223 Lensed Star 1, so, unfortunately, it doesn't count. Icarus, the asteroid, is mere millions of miles from us, not billions of light years.

The answer to the riddle is only about 1/3 the distance of MACS J1149+2223.

Don't give up - I'm sure you'll get it eventually.

Or, on the other hand, Waymark MACS J1149+2223 Lensed Star 1 and I'll have to change the answer...:)

Keith

If I could find a statue of Icarus, I would.

On 6/15/2019 at 4:08 AM, BK-Hunters said:

Keith

Finally found  a waymark that might fit the criteria: WMQXDN

??

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, fi67 said:

Finally found  a waymark that might fit the criteria: WMQXDN

??

TAAAA DAAAA!!!! Bingo!!!

fi67 is on a roll today!!!

Well DONE!

And it is now his turn for a brain teaser! (Unless Alfouine should choose to step in. Haven't heard from him yet.)

Why does WMQXDN not return a hit when I search for it from the "Home" Page? Others do, but not that one. Luckily, I had copied it and was able to find where I had put it (which often isn't the case).

Keith

1 hour ago, BK-Hunters said:

TAAAA DAAAA!!!! Bingo!!!

fi67 is on a roll today!!!

Well DONE!

And it is now his turn for a brain teaser! (Unless Alfouine should choose to step in. Haven't heard from him yet.)

Why does WMQXDN not return a hit when I search for it from the "Home" Page? Others do, but not that one. Luckily, I had copied it and was able to find where I had put it (which often isn't the case).

Keith

OK, I guess you'll have to give us more info so we can see this waymark. Search doesn't find it.

13 hours ago, Alfouine said:

OK here is my riddle

This is the podium of what :

1) A waymark in British Columbia, Canada

2) A waymark in California, United States

3) A waymark in South Dakota, United States

Having no information whatever to go on, I have to guess 1) A waymark in British Columbia, Canada

..... ............ ........... ............. ............ ...

Hang on. I'm going to change my answer. I couldn't see what Thierry might be referring to in his riddle. The only sensible thing I can see is that he is referring to the previous post or the previous riddle, making the answer 2) A waymark in California, United States

Keith

Edited by BK-Hunters