Custom POI and Oregon 600

I've decided to play around with moving my massive 1600 waypoint collection of US hot springs over to a POI file. I installed the Garmin POI Loader and it converted the GPX file with all of the hot spring waypoints no problem. But, they appear as little grey dots, which are not easy to see on the map. In addition, they don't sort into a category (even a Custom POI category) for easier browsing/searching.

Problem 1: POI Icons. 

I played around with a custom icon. Created the BMP file, but it doesn't display right. I'm pretty sure that is due to the icon not being in 8-bit file format, and I'm trying to figure out how to allow Photoshop to open the 8 bit option to me.

But my other surprise/question: When converting a GPX file of waypoints made from Basecamp, shouldn't the POI loader preserve the original icons of the waypoints? I wasn't using custom icons originally, so why wouldn't it set to display the matching icon that already exists on the GPS device?

Problem 2: POI Categories

I've tried putting the file into a subfolder in order to create a sub category called "Hot Springs."  It doesn't show up in the Oregon. Is it even possible to get custom POIs to sort into categories? Or is that feature only available for Nuvi units?

Create a folder "MyPois"

Inside that folder create a subfolder containing GPX/CSV files for use with PoiLoader. Give the file a living name. Its used as a category. Create corresponding BMP files files with the same name as the should belong to the Poi file.

Point PoiLoader to the folder "MyPois" for export. Now MyPois is a category on your unit and the GPX/CSV names are the sub categoiesy on your Oregon.

Example from GSAK Index Poi set:

af953a6d491dc81a15983cb81a7063cd.png

On the Garmin:

GSAK%20Index%20%28Poi%20based%29.jpg?raw  GSAK%20Index%20%28Liste%29.jpg?raw=1

Hans

Ok, I found where I have been going wrong. They are showing up under "Extras" and will list categories once I have more than one category to display.

Still having issues with icons. Custom icon displays somewhat correctly on my Oregon 450, though the magenta pixels don't display transparent but magenta. On the 600, the icons look terrible and weird. 

Any ideas for either using custom icons or the native ones?