Uploading caches to my GPSmap 60CSx

Do I need to be a Premium member to have the ability to upload the caches to my GPS?    I used to be able to do it when I was a Premium member several years ago, but the new website seems to disallow it.    When I attempted today, it puts a file into Acrobat and it is 'unopenable'.  

Any information or assistance I can get will be especially helpful.

Thank you.

Bunkibones.  

The short answer is no, you don't *need* to be a premium member, but being a premium member has its benefits for loading caches.

The problem, though, isn't premium or basic membership, but that you are using a legacy GPS device, and the website gives you data in GPX files. The 60CSx's support for GPX files is rudimentary at best. It doesn't really support them natively, and it doesn't support them for geocaches. In the past, the communicator plugin would convert geocaches to generic waypoints and load them in Garmin's old proprietary file format for you. Another option was converting the GPX files to POIs.

If you happen to have Mapsource installed, you can import geocaching GPX files and transfer the waypoints to the device. I believe GSAK also has some export settings to send geocaches to a pre-paperless device such as your 60csx. If you're a Mac user, fugettaboutit?

There are still plenty of people here clutching to their ancient technology and making it work. However, an upgrade to a device that supports paperless caching, mass storage, and GPX files natively is the best option going forward. You'll get full hardware and software compatibility well into the foreseeable future, basically until the USB port becomes obsolete. I don't see the abandonment of the GPX file format coming anytime soon.

• Helpful 1