Moving my own Geocache

The Geocache I made was placed in a giant pile of growing brush, as I thought it would be hidden well and no one would touch the plants. I was wrong, and all the plants were cut down, so if I were to move the locations, would I just have to make a new Geocache on the site? Or would I just move the coordinates? How would I go about doing this "correctly"? 

4 hours ago, 13ricity said:

The Geocache I made was placed in a giant pile of growing brush, as I thought it would be hidden well and no one would touch the plants. I was wrong, and all the plants were cut down, so if I were to move the locations, would I just have to make a new Geocache on the site? Or would I just move the coordinates? How would I go about doing this "correctly"? 

All the nitty-gritty on this is on page 7.7 of the Help Centre, but the essence is that you can move the coordinates by up to 161 metres (0.1 miles) using the Update Coordinates log, but beyond that you'll need to either convince your reviewer to make the change for you or archive the cache and create a new one. The latter is also a good idea if the fundamental nature of the cache has changed.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 2

.... and if your cache is in an area with geocache saturation (spaced right at 0.1 mile apart), you might not be able to move it even 1 foot from its original location.  I ran into this on at least 2 of my geocaches where they needed to be moved to a new hiding spot due to repeated muggling, but couldn't because someone else had placed their cache exactly 528 feet from mine essentially blocking me in the desired direction.  On a trail series of caches, you could be blocked into the current location from both sides.  That's just one of the reason I really dislike cachers placing their caches at every .1 mile increments just because they can.  If it doesn't bring you to a location of interest, why place a cache just because you can. 

2 hours ago, medoug said:

.... and if your cache is in an area with geocache saturation (spaced right at 0.1 mile apart), you might not be able to move it even 1 foot from its original location.  I ran into this on at least 2 of my geocaches where they needed to be moved to a new hiding spot due to repeated muggling, but couldn't because someone else had placed their cache exactly 528 feet from mine essentially blocking me in the desired direction.  On a trail series of caches, you could be blocked into the current location from both sides.  That's just one of the reason I really dislike cachers placing their caches at every .1 mile increments just because they can.  If it doesn't bring you to a location of interest, why place a cache just because you can. 

I like this quote :

"When you go to hide a geocache, think of the reason you are bringing people to that spot. If the only reason is for the geocache, then find a better spot."

briansnat, Charter Member

But now, with Adventure lab caches, the .1 mile saturation limit doesn't exist anymore. You can pile up dozen of ALC in a .1 mile square. SIgh...

• Upvote 1