Found a lost TB in an archived /lost cache

Eggleston Family

Hiya, super casual geocacher here. 60 something caches in 6 years?? 

Anyways, we were out hunting a cache today that turned out to be inaccessible due to flooding. On trying to find a way out of the spongy mess, we literally stepped on a geocache. 

In the geocache was a TB that I can see was placed there in 2013.

Then nothing until March 1st 2019 when I guess the owner claimed it? The language is Dutch and I can't read it. 

I've messaged the owner, but is there anything else I should do? 

As well the cache itself. I marked the coordinates and tucked it into a little niche.  Can i reactivate or contact the former owner somehow to pass along the details? 

TB is TB65B8F and the cache was GC417T6 ▼

I'm sure I could work this out if I had access to my pc, but it happened today and we're on holiday. 

Edited by Keystone
  • Upvote 2

Does the item you found match the trackable's photo? The owner's log in Dutch is this:

"Beetle has not been traveling for years and was last seen in southern England. That is why we will send a duplicate on the way."

And it's now listed "in the hands of the owner".   It would be good to contact the owner, if you can. But if it seems to be the original item, and since the mentioned 'duplicate' is not in play, you have another option.  You could make a log, "Grab from current holder...", and now it will be in your Inventory.  Then place it into a cache and log it.  A photo of that original TB would be good to post with that log (but no tracking number in view!).

Here's the TB's page using the reference number (public number OK to publish): https://coord.info/TB65B8F

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1

Regarding the cache itself: the listing cannot be un-archived. If it's convenient, I would probably go retrieve the container. If it's trashy, I'd throw it away. If it still is a good container, I'd see if the owner would like it back. (They haven't logged a cache in a few years, but they've logged into the website in 2019.)

Most Dutch folks can speak English also, so don't be shy about communicating with the TB owner. :)

Well, I for one would like to see more "super casual cachers " .   :)

You say you already contacted the Trackable Owner.  That's good, and they're still active. 

Since they have the duplicate in their possession, maybe they'll give the "go ahead" to send the original back out (or like to get it back).

The cache's Owner you could notify as well, by messaging the CO at the top left of the cache page (you could just google GC417T6  for it to come up).

- They're still active too.  It's archived, but they might want to go pick it up (as trash left) using your helpful coordinates.

Thanks for caring.  :)

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

Personally, if I found an old original TB I would log it, take it travelling for awhile, add the normal photographs that I do to show where it visited, and then log it into another cache. I have found several missing TBs, but never one this old. I think the longest missing one I have found was just over 3 years. I don't believe that people should make duplicate TBs.

• Upvote 3
1 hour ago, Goldenwattle said:

Personally, if I found an old original TB I would log it, take it travelling for awhile, add the normal photographs that I do to show where it visited, and then log it into another cache. I have found several missing TBs, but never one this old. I think the longest missing one I have found was just over 3 years. I don't believe that people should make duplicate TBs.

Great story Eggleston Family....

I actually just toss out the copy tag now, as I have no use for them. The tags are cheap enough to replace when they go missing, and you just never know when a long lost toy on a tag will show up.....

45 minutes ago, lee737 said:

I actually just toss out the copy tag now, as I have no use for them.

"Copy Tags" are best as souvenirs, something tangible for the owner to keep, because the actual TB is in the wind.  As seen all around the Forums, a Copy tag with the inscription "Keep Me" is not the ideal thing to place into a cache.

• Upvote 1
14 hours ago, kunarion said:

"Copy Tags" are best as souvenirs, something tangible for the owner to keep, because the actual TB is in the wind.  As seen all around the Forums, a Copy tag with the inscription "Keep Me" is not the ideal thing to place into a cache.

That's how we see them as well.   "Keep me" another reason...

Two cost us a few bucks. 

Bought duplicate items to have a "copy", and they remind us not to ever put items more than dollar-store stuff out again.   :)

Edited by cerberus1
lost an n