TB etiquette

Tawnygal

I noticed someone place a TB in one of my caches. What is the feeling on ME taking it out, logging it, and helping it move on it's journey? This one has a goal I can definitely help with in the near future, but thought I'd ask first. I know it's there because I stopped in to check how the cache survived the winter snow, and found it. Is this OK or bad form?

TIA!

• Helpful 1
5 hours ago, Tawnygal said:

I noticed someone place a TB in one of my caches. What is the feeling on ME taking it out, logging it, and helping it move on it's journey? This one has a goal I can definitely help with in the near future, but thought I'd ask first. I know it's there because I stopped in to check how the cache survived the winter snow, and found it. Is this OK or bad form.

The trackable's owner would probably be happy someone took it to move along after a Winter.    :)

The two with trackables in inventory didn't have Owner Maintenance logs (saying you stopped to check),  and people were there the last two days or so.

- Odd that someone didn't grab them, so just curious if it was in a cache not listed in inventory.   Thanks.

On 4/3/2019 at 9:51 PM, cerberus1 said:

The trackable's owner would probably be happy someone took it to move along after a Winter.    :)

The two with trackables in inventory didn't have Owner Maintenance logs (saying you stopped to check),  and people were there the last two days or so.

- Odd that someone didn't grab them, so just curious if it was in a cache not listed in inventory.   Thanks.

Ack! I'm newish to this and didn't know I needed to log that I was checking on my caches! I hike almost daily and take a peek inside every one of mine I pass that day, almost every time -- just to make sure they're in good shape. Thanks for the heads up that I need to log those checks as maintenance.

Edited by Tawnygal
3 hours ago, Tawnygal said:

Ack! I'm newish to this and didn't know I needed to log that I was checking on my caches! I hike almost daily and take a peek inside every one of mine I pass that day, almost every time -- just to make sure they're in good shape. Thanks for the heads up that I need to log those checks as maintenance.

You don't NEED to, but it's a nice thing to do.  Some think that you shouldn't log OM unless you actually fix something  that needed fixing, but I like to let people know that all is OK if I've checked on it..  If the OM log seems a bit much, you can just use Write Note instead.

• Helpful 1
22 hours ago, Tawnygal said:

Ack! I'm newish to this and didn't know I needed to log that I was checking on my caches!

You don't have to post OM logs for that kinda of check if you don't feel a need to, so don't worry about it. But also don't hesitate: I think my visits can be as interesting as anyone else's, so when I have something to say, my log's not all that much different than any found log. If there's nothing specific to comment on, generally I post an OM when it conveys interesting information, like if there's been a DNF recently or if I haven't posted an OM in a while.

I don't speak for cerberus1, but I think he was just mentioning no OMs as a piece of evidence regarding the TB, not as a comment on your maintenance behavior.

• Upvote 1