Looking for some help in SC

Hello! As you can tell by my handle I'm a truck driver. I'm looking for someone in or around Hardeeville, SC I-95 exit 5 to help me maintain a cache. Or if there are a group of geocaching truck drivers who would like to help. Thanks! I live in VA but travel all over the country. I'm hoping to get a few more placed at truck stops across the U.S. That not only truckers can find but so can the motoring public.

On 4/3/2019 at 5:46 PM, LostTruckDriver said:

Hello! As you can tell by my handle I'm a truck driver. I'm looking for someone in or around Hardeeville, SC I-95 exit 5 to help me maintain a cache. Or if there are a group of geocaching truck drivers who would like to help. Thanks! I live in VA but travel all over the country. I'm hoping to get a few more placed at truck stops across the U.S. That not only truckers can find but so can the motoring public.

One of the basic guidelines about geocaching is that cache owners are expected to be able to maintain the geocaches they place. This is why vacation caches rarely get approved. I'm sorry that your first cache placement didn't work out. 

• Upvote 2

1.  I was not on vacation.

2. I'm a truck driver so I travel I-95 a lot. And other major Interstates.

3. I was looking to have more travel/truck stop friendly places.

Truck drivers are limited on where they can take their trucks. So we park at truck stops and rest areas. I always look to see if there is something within safe walking distance. Sometimes there is, sometimes there is not.

I was going to put the cache in an area more accessible to cars, that truckers and RVers could walk to.

On 4/4/2019 at 12:46 AM, LostTruckDriver said:

I'm looking for someone in or around Hardeeville, SC I-95 exit 5 to help me maintain a cache.

On 5/27/2019 at 3:03 AM, LostTruckDriver said:

So my first geocache was archived.  Thanks for all the help. Sounds bitter right? I am a little because I thought we were supposed to be a community of like minded people. So I most likely won't attempt another cache, I won't say ever but right now, just a little sad.

I'm sorry you didn't get an initial response to this before the reviewer archived the cache listing.  The regional forums don't get as much traffic anymore, most local geocaching discussions these days seem to happen in regional groups on Facebook.  The sticky post at the top of this forum has a list.

Additionally, it might help to look at some of the active caches in the area and contact those cache owners directly.

There's no reason why you can't still try to find someone who can help with maintenance, and that's assuming you need to have a hand with a maintenance plan.  After all, you stated,

17 hours ago, LostTruckDriver said:

2. I'm a truck driver so I travel I-95 a lot. And other major Interstates.

It may not have been clear to the reviewer who looked at this how often you travel the I-95 corridor.  If you're in this area every month or so, you might not even need a local cacher to help with your maintenance plan.  But if you didn't communicate this to the reviewer, they don't have another way of divining that fact.  Consider reaching back out to the reviewer and discussing your situation to see if you would be in the area enough for their liking.  If they still want you to have a local resident help out, then I would recommend finding the local Facebook group or contacting other cachers directly.

I move around a decent bit for work as well, though not as often as you, usually every couple years.  When I move, I normally pick up all my geocaches and hide new ones in my new location.  It's nice to stay rooted in an area by leaving a cache behind, but I prefer not to burden a local geocacher with maintaining a cache they didn't hide.  So I've found that placing earthcaches can be a way to leave some roots without as much maintenance hassle.  One of the ones I'm proudest of can be found in a rest stop on either side of I-10.  Earthcaches require some work to put together, but it's another way to solve your problem.  I would recommend reading the guidelines and completing a few more earthcaches to get more of a feel for how they work before putting them together, which will make the process smoother both for you and for the local earthcache reviewer.

p.s. You also mentioned

On 4/4/2019 at 12:46 AM, LostTruckDriver said:

Or if there are a group of geocaching truck drivers who would like to help.

I'm not a trucker and don't know if a geocaching trucker group exists.  I do know of a couple of cachers who maintain truck-friendly bookmark lists.  If you contact them, they might know or be able to provide more insight.

Rest Area & Truck/RV Friendly Caches

The Outlaw's Eastern Geotrucker Rest Area List

Hope this helps.