Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
Dansagenius

Are Garmin TopoActive Maps Worth The Extra Money?

I'm thinking of upgrading my old eTrex to the latest Oregon 750 and cannot decide if to get the standard 750 base maps or pay the extra £40 to get the 750T model which comes with the Topoactive installed.

If anybody has any experience with these please let me know your thoughts.  The Oregon will only be used for Geocaching but if I'm going to spend this amount of money then is it worth going that little bit extra to get the 'T' 

Many Thanks

Posted (edited)

Go for the TopoActive version. It's OSM based, will be updated on a regular base and the map is routable. And you got the entire European area covered without the hassle of downloading and installing several maps.

Hans

Edited by HHL

If you're worried about the cost the device, consider the 700/t instead? Do you really need a sub-par camera on your GPS?

2 minutes ago, Mineral2 said:

If you're worried about the cost the device, consider the 700/t instead? Do you really need a sub-par camera on your GPS?

Maybe, maybe not. I find the Flashlight feature to be worth that price of admission, FWIW. The automated SOS beacon may save your life some day....

ohhh yeah, the flashlight. Truth be told, I almost always have my phone on me when I'm caching, so if I forget my geocaching lantern/flashlight, I've got the flashlight function on my phone. I don't know if having an LED is worth $100 on the price of the unit. But I see that they didn't offer a 700t version, so in my view, it's an extra $150 for the maps. Are the TopoActive maps that much better than any of the free OSM alternatives? Talkytoaster, OpenVelo/OpenMtbMaps, etc. that seem to be freely available for Europe but require a donation for North American maps.

You don't even need an cell phone app, the night vision goggles on SAR helicopters "sees" the light from the screen of the cell phone very easily.

" Cell phones can also be used as a signaling device during the night. Should you find yourself lost and without a flashlight, use your lighted cell phone screen by turning it towards any ground search and rescue or helicopters you hear. "

https://www.sbsheriff.org/sheriffs-search-and-rescue-team-rescue-lost-hiker/

Always the 'cell phone' crowd promoting their less durable, lower run-time hero's that once dead can not be re-energized for an additional 20+ hours with a simple pair of fresh AA batteries....

Cell phones are fine for urban activities, but when you actually leave civilization for the real outdoors, not so much.....

• Upvote 1