Caches keep getting stolen

In the past week i have had 2 of my unique puzzle geocaches stolen 

So just wondered if anyone else has had this happen 

These are time consuming and hard to make but it doesnt matter how hard you hide them if someone just follows you on geo cache app and takes them 

Just wondered if anyone has has there caches taken and reused by some else at a later date

19 minutes ago, mushcache said:

These are time consuming and hard to make but it doesnt matter how hard you hide them if someone just follows you on geo cache app and takes them 

Just wondered if anyone has has there caches taken and reused by some else at a later date

Curious, are these gadget caches ?   Traditionals, but didn't see puzzle attributes.   Thanks.  :)

You mention the app sort of like a given,  yet all cachers before two went "missing" were premium members. 

What does the app have to do with it ?   Sure it wasn't simply muggles ? 

- You'd be surprised how many go to the same places we do (even far in the woods) with no need for coordinates.    ;)

We had caches "reused" years ago (and a lot stolen) with another app version. 

It seems (to me) that the directions are more clear with this new one.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, mushcache said:

It can be tough to keep caches in a popular spot, even an out of the way hangout.  The main reason mine go missing is landscapers, and sometimes due to them cutting down a tree or mowing over a bush.  One of mine was in a wooded area but was taken and placed on a bench, and someone took it home and put the photo on Facebook.

Two of yours with “stolen” logs appear to be just steps away from a main trail.

• Upvote 1

After over 10 years of avoiding systematic vandals, I am unfortunately being targeted by one.  Most of the caches in one of our series had their logs stolen, replaced with a slip of paper with the vandal's nickname (not associated with a registered geocacher) and a QR code that apparently links to some sort of manifesto about geocaching being littering.  One large ammo can, which was cat-themed and decked out to look like a litter box inside (complete with fake poop, a scoop, and sand) was stolen entirely.  In its place was a broken pill bottle with the same note and QR code.

Since I saw they had bypassed at least one higher terrain cache, I concluded that they were basic members using the app and changed our caches to PMO, but I didn't move any.  Apparently they've come back out to re-vandalize some of our caches after I'd replaced logs, so that didn't work.

The series they did the damage on has been getting found less frequently, so I may archive all of it.  If I can find good alternate hiding places in the hedgerows in the area, I may publish some new listings as PMO from the start.

This is the first time I've ever had PMO caches, and I am not happy about it, but I am less happy with being the regular target of a vandal.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1

I know how the OP feels. I think in general it is rare for this kind of thing to happen, but if you play the game long enough you are bound to run into examples of this. Some  law of human nature where there are some percentage of folks that will have both differing views about what is acceptable, and also the gumption to act on those views. My own experience with having a geocache stolen came after I had been playing for about 4 years. I put out a very ambitious multi cache in a local Greenway that covered 8+ miles of hiking/trail-running.  Someone who did not condone geocaching in this park discovered it somehow and systematically removed every stage. I wrote a long blog post about it. I never did find out about who did this and why, despite doing my best to reach out to this person. A few other geocachers had some of their hides stolen from the same Greenway, but I have since moved away from the area and do not know if it is still an issue there.

On another note, people come across other forms of vandalism that do not necessarily involve the caches getting stolen. A year ago I found a cache that had a whole bunch of disparaging comments written in the logbook, all apparently from the same person who views geocaching as offensive. While these kind of things can get me riled up, I find the negative feedback beneficial. In a  hobby that thrives on making hidden objects that "Muggles" would mostly never know about, it is good to sometimes reflect on how the hobby may be perceived by those that do not see it as just innocent fun. It helps me take a step back and try to think how my "awesome geocaching idea" might be perceived by those outside the hobby.

12 hours ago, The_Incredibles_ said:
20 hours ago, hzoi said:

After over 10 years of avoiding systematic vandals, I am unfortunately being targeted by one. 

Maybe republish them as puzzles?

Worth considering.  They were apparently too lazy to solve our puzzles.

21 hours ago, hzoi said:

Since I saw they had bypassed at least one higher terrain cache, I concluded that they were basic members using the app and changed our caches to PMO, but I didn't move any.  Apparently they've come back out to re-vandalize some of our caches after I'd replaced logs, so that didn't work.

Changing cache locations after switching them to PMO is necessary. I had to do it once.

• Upvote 1
14 minutes ago, Pontiac_CZ said:
21 hours ago, hzoi said:

Changing cache locations after switching them to PMO is necessary. I had to do it once.

Oh, yes, I freely admit I tried to do it the lazy way and just hoped they didn't remember where it was.    

I remeber a case in Germany, where tons of TB´s and Coins got stolen.

Some affected cachers set up a new fancy cache an with even more effort a surveillance system, using motion sensor camera traps.

They cought the thiev red handed, he handed over a buckets full of TB´s and Coins wich was burried in his backyard and he was prosecuted for theft.

There was a Youtube storry about it, but i can´f find it in the moment.

Edited by DerDiedler
  • Surprised 1
On 4/3/2019 at 10:36 AM, DerDiedler said:

I remeber a case in Germany, where tons of TB´s and Coins got stolen.

Some affected cachers set up a new fancy cache an with even more effort a surveillance system, using motion sensor camera traps.

They cought the thiev red handed, he handed over a buckets full of TB´s and Coins wich was burried in his backyard and he was prosecuted for theft.

There was a Youtube storry about it, but i can´f find it in the moment.

Did they find out why he/she was doing this? There may be more worthwhile targets for thievery. This is just plain stupidity.

13 minutes ago, papu66 said:

Did they find out why he/she was doing this? There may be more worthwhile targets for thievery. This is just plain stupidity.

I´ve found a german forum thread about this issue. It was not exactely as I remembered, but pretty close. It all happened back in 2010.

The intention he gave along with he´s admission was, that he was frustrated over an other cacher who had the same idea for a new Geocache, but was faster in implementation.

He was not prosecuted for theft, the state prosecutor closed the case due to minority, the fact that he had no criminal record and given that the impressions of this case might have been impressive enough to prevent him from further wrong doing.

There was no private law suite since the initiators of the thief hunt were satisfied about the fact that he handed out all TB´s and coins (about 70) and was verry sorry and ashamed about all this. They confronted him personally and he was verry cooperative.

Case closed!

Edited by DerDiedler
  • Upvote 2