Hammerhead Event!

Team JOYSON

hhlog.gif

A number of people have expressed interest in doing a group hunt for HammerHead. Now all we need is a date. Because of the amount of driving involved, I'm listing Saterday dates below (that we're available). We could also do a weekday evening hunt & have 3 groups go out & collect info. We're open to suggestions.

Jason of Team JOYSON

Hello Cleavland... Hello Cleavland... I would like some pork... This one has a little guy in it.

I vote 2/8 (tho 2/15 actually works better for me). 2/22 is the first saturday of girl scout cookie sales, and being a troop leader and neighborhood cookie manager i wil be pretty busy that day...

Of course if we wait until 3/1, we could celebrate me hitting the big 4 0 (oh man the start of the F years icon_eek.gif) as well...

Life is as much a journey of discovery, as it is a discovery of the journey...

**Namaste**

Everyone could meet at Waypoint#1 for assignments. If at least 8 (because Rock Creek burned down) people show up, that would be enough to assign each person or team a waypoint.

Then everyone could meet at Waypoint#10 for a quick pint or two and figure out the coordinates to the actual cache.

I'm not sure if that's cheating or not, though. I'm sure explosis will get a kick out of getting a bunch of 'So and so found your cache!' emails either way.

Someone should confirm with him that the final location isn't a dawn-to-dusk place. Just in case this happens, you know, after dusk and all.

all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed

quote:
Originally posted by oregone:

Someone should confirm with him that the final location isn't a dawn-to-dusk place. Just in case this happens, you know, after dusk and all.

all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed

I checked the final spot, as I live only two or so miles from it. The hours are 7:00 AM to Dusk. The cache is still there and in good shape. Also most of the trail has been paved with wood chips, although boots will still be advised for the first half, Its really muddy.

Bob G.

Where are we going?......And WHY am I in this handbasket???

[This message was edited by 1pilot on January 30, 2003 at 06:33 PM.]

Thanks for checking on it for us 1pilot. That's really cool of you to do. It sounds like a Saterday is going to work best then. I keep hearing 02/08/03 come up, although different dates would work for different people.

If we plan on meeting at waypoint #1, 02/08/03 at say 1:00pm (that would allow people to eat before & come, or grab a bite there). Everyone bring the information you've gathered so far & if there's anything missing we can scatter, or go as a group to #10. Joy & I will be out towards Hillsboro this weekend, so we can grab 6 & 7. If Bazzle does 4 & 3, that leaves 2, 8, & 9 (provided someone is able to get us the info for 5 ahead of time since it's dead).

How's this? Would you guys like to see a seperate event cache page added for it, or is doing the cache enough of a reason?

Jason of JOYSON

"Hello Cleveland... Hello Cleveland... I would like some pork... This one has a little guy in it."

I plotted the 10 points. If you make a clockwise circle of the points (disregarding roads), the air distance for all 10 points is 59.27 miles. The road distance may be twice that. I will be driving past #6 on the way to #1 so could get it on the way.

I vote for an event cache page, just to keep it organized. Retired, any day will do...

Charlie Trail Duster - I woke up one morning and all of my stuff had been stolen... and replaced by exact duplicates.

quote:
Originally posted by Charlie Trail Duster:

I plotted the 10 points. If you make a clockwise circle of the points (disregarding roads), the air distance for all 10 points is 59.27 miles. The road distance may be twice that. I will be driving past #6 on the way to #1 so could get it on the way.

I vote for an event cache page, just to keep it organized. Retired, any day will do...

Charlie Trail Duster - I woke up one morning and all of my stuff had been stolen... and replaced by exact duplicates.

I did it by myself in one day(I'll not do anything like that again icon_rolleyes.gif) and it was a little over 101 miles.

Bob G.

I like joyson's idea. We could all do 1,2,8,9,10 and cache as a group and bring the info for the rest with us. That still gives us several stops along the way and should get us to the cache before dusk. Time and date work for tagalong and I icon_biggrin.gif

**Namaste**

quote:
Originally posted by Team JOYSON:

If we plan on meeting at waypoint #1, 02/08/03 at say 1:00pm (that would allow people to eat before & come, or grab a bite there).

If this event is set up for this timeframe (2/8/03 - 1pm), then your pal soup would be able to attend. After 6 I have some weird boggle tournament I am in. Dont ask.

I havent plotted anything yet, but if there is anything down here in Salem, I got it.

icon_biggrin.gif soup

What do you call 2,000 pounds of Chinese Soup? Won Ton.

bubble_luscious and I did all 10 waypoints last april, it was Sunday 10pm and pitch black. As we headed off for the cache, a dog started barking, and she didn't like it. At all. We say we'll find it every time we go to Portland, but on Sunday when were headed home, were never up for caching. Anyway, we have the final coord's, so... meet you guy's at the bar? icon_wink.gif

"If I knew how thirsty I was going to be this morning, I would have drank more last night."

I'll have an event page up for this by tomorrow. Here's the info that I was thinking.

Event from 12-1:00 (if people want to get together, hang out, eat, talk, etc.)

Plan on coordinating at 1:00 and set out for the cache(s). If you're late, we're probably gone.

We do whatever caches we have time for & pick someplace to all meet up & celebrate.

Thanks everyone for all of the great suggestions.

Jason of JOYSON

"Hello Cleveland... Hello Cleveland... I would like some pork... This one has a little guy in it."

Hey guys and event cache get together to swap notes on the two different caches would be great icon_biggrin.gif. We were the last to log Hammerhead back in September and we had a blast with it. The Tour de Portlandia would also be a great group hunt and we would probablely be up for that also. I have some issues to make up for on our hunt for the final at Hammerhead after getting us lost on the way back icon_confused.gif. This sounds like a fun outing.

In case of power failure stand close, I glow in the dark.

The event is up but it probably should have a modification. I suggest one of two things:

Add an event after the group hunt, i.e. a geocacher get-together. Then it could be logged as a legititmate Event Cache.

Or disallow logging the event as a 'find'--making it a 'post a note' cache only.

Otherwise it's just 'log an extra smilie for doing two geocaches with your buddies'. That's going to annoy more people than it will please.

- Seth!

icon_geocachingwa.gif

I agree with pdxmarathonman... Seems like eating burgers before a group hunt is just aa good as pizza instead of an actual group activity. As he said, this event has a short life, you no make it by 1:00, you no log find...

Besides why would it annoy anybody?? It is not like this is a competetion or anything (at least not for those of us that hunt caches in groups icon_biggrin.gif).

**Namaste**

quote:
Originally posted by Seth!:

The event is up but it probably should have a modification. I suggest one of two things:

Add an event after the group hunt, i.e. a geocacher get-together. Then it could be logged as a legititmate Event Cache.

Seth!

http://www.geocachingwa.org

You could race those Little cars afterward, Not too far from the final spot icon_biggrin.gif

Bob G.

[This message was edited by 1pilot on February 01, 2003 at 04:43 PM.]

gets in at PDX at 1:21 pm Feb 8, I will have the garmin at the ready if there is a waypoint you need me to get. And if someone can pick me up? I would love to jump in on this after caching in Texas. I'm taking a P'rats notebook,2 fractal marbles, Portland Police patch and a bunch of calling cards that say, " You have been visited by SASSQUATCH, Aloha Oregon" Unlike Q.M. I will have some serious hours racked up for the work week what with travel time, school, and hours spent at hOOters discussing politics and international affairs. If not thats ok. If someone could e-mail me the final coords, maybe I could make it to that.I will check my mail on that slow arse hotel computer.Have fun!

Have everyone meet at the terminal at 1:15 holding a sign that says "Sassquatch". They won't let you past the security checkpoints if you're not on a flight, but I'm sure we'd get some pretty good looks standing there next to the exit. icon_smile.gif

I think the plan is to be at Hammerhead checkpoint #10 at some point after 1:00 so I think it's safe to say you can head there and wait (if you can't track anyone else down). It'd be great if you could make it.

Anyone else have any ideas?

To my knowledge, here's what we will have so far...

HammerHead: 1 (will have when we meet), 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Tour de Portlandia: 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 12

This means we still need...

HammerHead: 8, 9, 10

Tour de Portlandia: 1, 2, 10, 11

HammerHead 8-10 we will most likely do as a group after the get together, the bridges may be a bit harder to do together, so help ahead of time would be appreciated. However it turns out, we'll look forward to seeing you guys on Saturday.

I think doing HH 8-10, or at least one or two of them, as a group would be good. And If we travel right TDP 1 & 2 are on the way (of course they are on two different routes). After all, part of the point of doing multi-point caches is to actually hit the points (or at least some of them icon_wink.gif ) as part of the hunt. We could split from HH1 and have one group go to HH9 and TDP2, while the others hit HH8 and TDP1. Then both groups could meet at HH10 to figure final location for each. By my VERY ROUGH estimate they are about 10 miles apart. This would leave only TDP 10 & 11, I can snag 11 easy enough. Just a thought...

Also I see that explosis has helped us out a little on HH icon_biggrin.gif

**Namaste**

Thanks to my extra early drive to work today I now have all the TDP intermediate points except 1 and 2 plus all the HH points. On Friday I am off and will take my son to the airport and will try to get TDP 1 and 2, and a few eastside new caches also icon_wink.gif.

See you all on Saturday.

In case of power failure stand close, I glow in the dark.

Figure at the very least most of us will have to do at least 2 of each.

If we're coming from the west side, we'll have to cross a bridge to get to HammerHead #1, so there's 1 of each... Then if we all gather at HammerHead #10 before the final hunt, we'll have to cross either TDP 1 or 2, so there's a 2nd one for each. That's at least 20% of the cache that everyone will have to do.

Maybe we should require people to bring at least 1 other answer from each (regardless of duplicates) in order to log a find? That way people have to at least put forth SOME effort before hand icon_wink.gif

We've already done about 80% of both, but there's a number of the bridges that we're confused about due to multiple answers, so we'll be looking forward to comparing notes.

I like that idea joyson. I too have done about 75% of each. There are a couple bridges I do not often cross, so hoping others grab those (mostly the middle ones). However it works out, this is shaping up to be quite a good turn out it sounds icon_biggrin.gif

**Namaste**

There goes all the fun... or should I say here comes the fun. Knowing you we'll probably all wind up taking Max to the Barley Mill doing a Paul Bunyan jigsaw puzzle made out of tetris pieces (if you don't understand... don't ask). We'll look forward to having you.

Just so everyone knows, this sunday is oregone's birthday. he hates his birthday and he won't let me have a party for him so i thought that if i told all the geocachers about it we could sing to him or something at the event. wouldn't that be nice? i think it would cause sufficient embarassment and kitten love.

I chose LaurenCat because LaurenKittenPoniesFlowersPinkSunshineFairyMeowMeowRainbowHeartLoveBunnyKissKiss was just too F-ing long.