Can't access geocaching.com

pingurus

When I try to access any page on geocaching, I get thrown to the sign in page and after I entered username and password the page just loads. Sometimes I get a server error 500, sometimes it will try to load endlessly.

Does anybody else get this?

• Upvote 2
3 hours ago, Frau Potter said:

We are having issues on Geocaching.com right now. The engineers are looking into it and hope to have things running smoothly again. 

Thanks.    Not doing anything terribly important today, but feels like when we first started on most weekends.   :D

Edited by cerberus1
needed a ly

Confirmed: Website performance is still grotty, often transactions fail on first attempt and need 1-2 retries (access from Telekom, Germany). But at least some reaction. About 3 hours ago, response was so slow that it always ran into timeout.

Observing generally poor performance already since Friday evening (19:00 UTC).

9 hours ago, pingurus said:

When I try to access any page on geocaching, I get thrown to the sign in page and after I entered username and password the page just loads. Sometimes I get a server error 500, sometimes it will try to load endlessly.

Does anybody else get this?

Yes.... most of thismorning and a few times last week.

Again, currently geocaching.com is neary unreachable from Germany (provider netcologne).

It appears very often during the last four weeks. Sometimes it works perfectly and then it's broken and I get timeouts or error 500. It's the same within mobile network where it's another provider (Telefonica). So it does not seem a German provider fault.

6 minutes ago, arisoft said:

API seems to work (just tested) and GPS is running. Do you really use web pages when Geocaching?

Multiple posts on Facebook that references the official and 3rd party apps not functioning so it impacted them.

Seems a good decision to focus on performance, stability and scalability for a few sprints. 

21 minutes ago, Team DEMP said:

Multiple posts on Facebook that references the official and 3rd party apps not functioning so it impacted them.

Do any of these posts refer to the official app or approved apps. We know that unapproved 3rd party apps stops working immediatelly when the web site goes down.

Edited by arisoft

Hello,

from Czech republic. I'm observing very slow responses from geocaching.com for last two weeks. Today I was unable to log in into official Geocaching app for IOS. IP Ping shows stable connection to www.geocaching.com without timeouts. 

Edited by mjoniak

For some reason I can use App in my phone but the website is not working.This is an old app (Neongeo). At this moment I can refresh the map and download caches normally without noticeable delays. Actually, I have not experienced noticeable problems with this App during this year at all.

22 minutes ago, tom1996 said:

Your app will use the API - running on (an)other server(s).

Check here

The status page rarely ever show the actual status during failures like the one we're seeing now.

9 minutes ago, arisoft said:

I fear that this App and the working server will be "streamlined" in the near future.

Neongeo appears to be abandoned, and will stopp working on June 1st. It use the old API, which might be the explanation to why it works now.

25 minutes ago, Viajero Perdido said:

Uh, that link redirects to another with "suspendedpage.cgi" as part of the name.  That suggests the domain has lapsed and the website is gone.  (The rest of the page is all greek to me.)

May be bad news for people still using (trying to use) that app.  :(

be4fe1c390db651ad31ed6331421e445.png

• Funny 3

The NeonGeo app was not updated to use the new Geocaching API, so users of that app will need to find another one.  Discussions about available Geocaching Live! authorized partner applications can take place in the API forum. 

As this thread has gone off-topic from discussing a website bug, I am closing it out.

• Helpful 1